Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
 
1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Reputation: 432

Advertisements

Did Janet make an effort to attend the informal budget meetings? She's the financial chair, after all.

A leader makes an attempt to compromise with her adversaries to reach a suitable conclusion. Janet consistently votes against the majority for no other reason than to show the nail holes in her hand. She rarely makes an attempt to compromise, and if she does, it's a token attempt at best and it usually is unproductive.

She is a PART of a governing body, for better or worse, not the body itself. When one fails to achieve, they all fail to achieve. She'd be more than happy to accept credit when something works out, she should not be just as willing to throw them under the bus when it doesn't.

She won't make it through the primary this time around. You may like her, great. Good for you. I'm of the opinion that more people in this town than not feel that she is an ineffective, condescending blowhard who said the magic words to get elected last time, but hasn't done a single thing to back them up since.

Last year, the Bears beat the Saints 39-14 in one game, and the Colts beat the Patriots 38-34 in the other. Two different games, two different opponents, two different margins of victory. According to you, the Bears are the Super Bowl Champion because A) they scored the most points and B) they had a higher margin of victory. According to me, and a lot of other people, one thing has nothing to do with the other. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=06A7F32AE083BAC449DD3D0EB9996F8D? id=09000d5d80021dd0&template=with-video&confirm=true - broken link)

 
Old 08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
 
1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Reputation: 432
Anyone who would allow this city to progress in a direction, any direction, rather than consistently being a stick in the spokes would make a better candidate than Evans.

Nothing gets done because no one can work together.

When was the last election that was decided on an issue, rather than who knew who? Politics are popularity contests, Dan. Nothing more, nothing less.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Drama Central
4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Reputation: 1893
Please give me one issue that Janet voted no on that was good for the city? Just one issue that she voted no on that was good for the city. Regardless of how she votes they have the majority so really what does Janets vote count for. Do you feel that the direction that the city is heading in is a good one? Do you feel that we are in good shape as a city? Do you feel that the neighborhoods are in good shape? Daron is a huge enviromental issue that affects the entire city in one or another. Either the products and dust affect you or in the ineffective zoning office and planning commision affect you because who is to stop them from allowing another company to open in your backyard. Daron effects Greenridge and lower Greenridge, it effects a elemenatry school as well. Your kidding me right again neither one of you have brought anything to the table other than NFL scores and its "popularity contest", give me issue that she voted no on that was good for the city? Give me one person other than JUDY who would be a good candidate and back it up with their track record. Come on guys you keep coming back and forth but you bring nothing!!!!! What little league field are you talking about? Why not get your neighborhood assoc. involved and get it cleaned up? Where is it Pinebrook? They do not have to work together, they already have a majority so it does not matter what Janet or Bill votes does it. One issue that Bill and Janet voted no on that was good for the city, just one please? Issues are whats going to determine this election because the residents have had enough of the Doherty BS and overspending taxes are a huge issue and so is the SSD, they are the issues that are going to change this next election. If Judy has done so much good for the city then why did her husband lose so miserably in his run for the school board? If Judy is sooo popular and thats what counts right, then why did he get his ass handed to him? Times are changing and the time for a change is now and the people will vote the issues. Again I'm not defending Janet as much as I am questioning your thought process. How could she be effective? By voting yes, that makes her effective? Her yes or no vote does not count in any direction because the mayor has a majority vote, why not talk about the majority and their votes and how effective or ineffective they are since they are ones that are passing the legislation here in Scranton, not Janet or even BIll but the Doherty three. Lets talk about their effectiveness, where is it? What have they voted for that was good for the city and legal? They gave the mayor another $10,000,000 last year. OH wait Judoes budget committee, who are the people on it? Firemen and the friendship house director? What the F$^K to they know about municipal budgeting and why was Janet not part of JUdy's plan from the beginning and why did she close the meetings as soon as someone questioned her about saving on the school taxes? and not only that they gave her the back up that she needed to go with it from a state organization? Your kidding me right a school nurse(LPN), a firemen, a director of a home for troubled kids and who else, that is what we can expect a non borrowing budget from!!!! That was a joke from the minute she annouced it. Get it, the mayor will never be relected if he continues to borrow and Judy is going to be the council member that helped him not borrow, sounds like a HUGE PR campaign to me and huge pile of BS to boot.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Sheeptown, USA
3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Your issues outweigh heroin paraphernalia littered around a T-ball field? Sorry, I disagree. I'm not downplaying your problems, but the prospect of a 5 year old playing t-ball getting stuck with a needle is pretty serious. And for someone who keeps insisting that "our problems don't affect the entire city," that is a joke of an argument. The same can be said for your problems. Daron and the flooding issues don;t affect me whatsoever. So should I just dismiss those issues as not affecting the entire city?
I think drugs in a place where kids play is pretty serious. But when an entire neighborhood gets flooded and looks like the aftermath of Katrina and the city does nothing, I start to get worried if they'll do anything at all on other issues. This city still lets Daron operate illegally and continue to harm the residents of this city. So all these issuses affect all of us in some way or another. If the city lets one illegal plant operate in Green Ridge, why wouldn't they allow one to open in West Side and pollute us also.

As for Janet. If Gary and Janet ran I would vote for Gary no doubt. But when it comes to Doherty and Janet how could I not vote for Janet after the horrible mess Doherty has put us in. She could be no worse at this point.

And CHS89, what does NFL scores have to do with Janet Evans running for mayor. Please enlighten us, because I don't get the analogy. Sorry maybe I'm a little slow today.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Reputation: 19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I would vote for Paul SWB before I WOULD EVER VOTE FOR JUDY AGAIN.
I don't know if you implied that as a backhanded compliment towards my potential as a future politician or if you were implying that I'm the "lesser of two evils" when compared to Gatelli, but in either event I'm pretty sure I've decided against running for either council or mayor at any point in the future. I'm the type of person who isn't happy unless everyone else around me is also happy, so seeing the frustration, depression, and emotional pain welling up in the eyes of the regular council speakers week after week would really take its toll on me. I have plenty of awesome ideas swirling around in my head to bring this city out of the Doherty Debt, but I'm also the type who "can't take the heat," so I'm staying out of the proverbial "kitchen." I know my boundaries. If I had someone like Fay Franus approaching the podium week after week accusing me of corruption, ineptness, and malfeasance, I think I'd probably be unable to maintain decorum and would likely retort back to her. I can take honest criticism and interrogation about my abilities (or lack thereof) in my elected capacity, but when it seems to spiral onto a personal level that is seen between Franus and Gatelli, I just don't think I'd be able to "turn the other cheek."

For what it's worth, Daniel, your crusade to help Lower Green Ridge has inspired me to quit my job. I submitted my two week's notice today that I will be resigning on September 6, 2007 in order to primarily focus on improving my GPA and becoming "more actively involved in the community." I need to elevate my GPA to as close to 4.0 as I possibly can in order to make myself a more viable candidate for graduate school (I'm shooting for Wharton in Philly), and I'm sure having some more time available for community service-related activities would also be of benefit. It wasn't easy working 35-40 hours per week last semester, and my GPA tanked down to 3.5 as a result---I need to get that boosted upwards ASAP. I look forward to seeing you at every city council meeting this Fall, and I hope to get together with Judy so we can bounce ideas off of one another, as was discussed in our e-mails earlier this month. You should be proud to know that you served as the inspiration I needed to finally quit my job, live off of my savings, and get myself into a little bit of debt in order to roll up my sleeves and give back more to the community this Fall.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 03:40 PM
 
1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Please give me one issue that Janet voted no on that was good for the city?
The smoking ban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
Regardless of how she votes they have the majority so really what does Janets vote count for.
Then she should be the one making an effort to compromise. She's not. She'd rather just be in the minority, and if the city goes down hill, she just says "Hey, don't blame me, blame the Doherty Three. I did what I could." That's not leadership, Dan. That's pointing fingers, and it doesn't serve the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
Do you feel that the direction that the city is heading in is a good one? Do you feel that we are in good shape as a city? Do you feel that the neighborhoods are in good shape?
What direction would that be? We appeared to be stalled on most things. Show me a city that is in good shape as a city. TV shows don't count. MY neighborhood is getting better. It's not as nice as it was years ago when my memories were more idealistic, but it's certainly not on the edge of gloom, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
Daron is a huge enviromental issue that affects the entire city in one or another.
I really don't give a damn about Daron, Dan. I just can't bring myself to care about it the way you do. It doesn't effect me, seriously. I get no dust from it, my breathing air is as good as I can expect it to be, and there's really no room in my neighborhood for something like that. So, you got me on that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
Give me one person other than JUDY who would be a good candidate and back it up with their track record.
Me. I have no track record, no connections, no delusions that I'm the answer to all of our problems. But, I will do my best to try and help. We can't even expect that much from Janet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
They do not have to work together
THEY DON'T?? Really? Interesting viewpoint. What effective government doesn't have to work together? Give me one example. Just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
Issues are whats going to determine this election because the residents have had enough
I bet the sky is always blue, flowers are always in bloom, the air is always 68 degrees, and the children are always well behaved in this fantasy land of yours, isn't it? Who gets my street paved will have more impact than who the SSD hires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
If Judy has done so much good for the city then why did her husband lose so miserably in his run for the school board? If Judy is sooo popular and thats what counts right, then why did he get his ass handed to him?
Again with the apples and oranges. What's with you? Judy is not her husband. You're comparing two different people in two different races. AGAIN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa
How could she be effective?
By adopting a platform that consists of more than "If it's good enough for the mayor, then it's no good." Make an effort to help, stop the speechifying, work with the rest of council, and talk to us as equals, not down to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008
what does NFL scores have to do with Janet Evans running for mayor. Please enlighten us, because I don't get the analogy. Sorry maybe I'm a little slow today.
Ed, I'll answer your question with a question. What does a council race have to do with a mayoral race? You can't extrapolate what she did in one election into what she might have done in another completely different election in which she didn't even participate and in which she'd have been up against different opposition. Just because she won one election by a lot, doesn't mean she'd win each subsequent election by the same amount, given a different opponent. The results of one have nothing to do with the outcome of the other. The football analogy is dead on, actually. You're just a little slow.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Drama Central
4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Reputation: 1893
Paul I do not know what to say about that, I will be willing to help you get involved in any aspect of the political ladder you want, whether it be county or city I'll help where I can. Also are you sure that quiting your job is the answer? Maybe just go down to part time. The vote comment was not a dig at you but just a response about Judy, no offense. At least you have ideas and you are not afraid to bring them to the table for discussion. There is alot going on this year and we sure could use your help on many issues here in the city. You need to start to come to some of the events with me and the fundraisers, they are funny. I attend most of them other than the Doherty candidates.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Reputation: 19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Paul I do not know what to say about that, I will be willing to help you get involved in any aspect of the political ladder you want, whether it be county or city I'll help where I can. Also are you sure that quiting your job is the answer? Maybe just go down to part time. The vote comment was not a dig at you but just a response about Judy, no offense. At least you have ideas and you are not afraid to bring them to the table for discussion. There is alot going on this year and we sure could use your help on many issues here in the city. You need to start to come to some of the events with me and the fundraisers, they are funny. I attend most of them other than the Doherty candidates.
I tried reducing my hours during my last year at school, and slowly but surely they managed to creep their way back up as the company tried taking advantage of me to fill holes in their scheduling, insisting that I put the company's needs ahead of my school commitments. I originally had hoped to work 18 hours per week during this semester (9 hours each on Saturday and Sunday), but I know that would soon spike upwards when I'd be asked to help out here and there, stay later, come in earlier, etc. It's just not worth the aggravation anymore.

I don't think I'd like to run for a city office anymore in the future. However, I'd most certainly be interested in becoming taking a leadership role in a neighborhood association in the future (most likely either Hyde Park or the Lower Hill). I'm just becoming increasingly disillusioned with the city's political system with each meeting I attend. It pains me to see person after person shut out by an uncaring city council.

I'm fearful of running for office because I truly don't know where I stand with "the others." I like Doherty's vision of trying to bring an artistic/cultural scene to the downtown area, but I disapprove of his loose pursestrings. On the other hand, I disapprove of Evans' "slam everyone else mercilessly in order to make myself look better" persona, but I love the way she looks out for the city's best overall financial interests. I would want to be associated with neither Doherty nor Evans for those reasons, but I don't think it's possible to be anything else with the city's current political system. Doherty has no clue how to manage a pocketbook, but he seems to have better long-term goals for the city than Evans does. Evans doesn't make her vision for the city known, but she's a better candidate to vote into office if you want to return this city to fiscal solvency. Both are just an absolute enigma to me.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Drama Central
4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Reputation: 1893
The smokong ban was illegal from the beginning and Janet stated that she was voting no because it was illegal and that was prove right in the long run. I think that a council majority that knowingly voted in a illegal piece of legislation to take the spot light off a money grap for $44,000,000 was wrong and it hurt the city over all. I knew you would say the smoking ban because that is all there is. I agree with a ban, but a legal one. They knew it would not last the long haul and Janet was right from the beginning on it. Even if it was a 5-0 vote on the ban it was illegal plain and simple. The law is the law and they cannot just make it up when it suits them. What would a compromise get us? What good would it do if Janet make a effective yes vote? Why do they need to work together again? They have the majority to pass whatever they want so what would working together get us? Seriously you think that Judy wanted to be pres or was that the mayor getting her the power to control the public and what they had to say about his politics? Stalled what are we stalled on that has to do with Janets voting or evn Bills for that matter? WE ARE STALLED BECAUSE WE ARE BROKE, NOT BECAUSE JANET VOTES NO. Daron is a shame, I guess that you only do care about your backyard, well I hope that you do not a mine or other type enviromenatl issue to deal with in the future with your attitude towards the rest of the city. WHO IS GOING TO GET YOUR STREET PAVED FOR YOU, HMMMMM???? Did you see the article today about the potholes and how the DPW IS BROKE LIKE THE REST OF THE CITY. I guess you could have it paved if the mayor did not dump our cash down the downtown drain right???????? Again right back to the issues, we are broke so all those little things are gone like paving, so I guess the issues really do matter don't they. "if its good for the mayor, then its no good" your kidding me right. What have they passed that was good for the city and not good for the mayor? Evrything that was voted on last year was good for the mayor and his cronies and we got screwed financially on all of it, every single piece of legislation had money going to his projects or his cronies and we are footing the bill, so I agree if its good for the mayor ITS BAD FOR THE CITY. Anything othet than the ban would be nice when you get a chance.
 
Old 08-23-2007, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Sheeptown, USA
3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I really don't give a damn about Daron, Dan. I just can't bring myself to care about it the way you do. It doesn't effect me, seriously. I get no dust from it, my breathing air is as good as I can expect it to be, and there's really no room in my neighborhood for something like that. So, you got me on that one.
CHS89, there's that "it's not in my backyard mentality" that's so prevelant around here. Daron doesn't affect me personally either, but after talking with Dan and going to the plant, they are clearly in violation of zoning ordinances in the city of Scranton. That should affect all residents. Like I stated before, what's to prevent the city from letting another plant operate illegally in the future. And then that might affect you. The flooding in lower Green Ridge doesn't affect me either, but when I saw pics of the aftermath, I couldn't believe this city hasn't done anything to help those residents. It's about caring what goes on with your fellow residents.

Like I stated before, maybe I'm a little slow today. I didn't get much sleep today since I work 3rd shift. Maybe you can't compare a council race with a mayorial race, but don't you think some of those people who voted for her on council might just vote for her for mayor. You never know.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 08-23-2007 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top