Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:56 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,113,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Oh and Dan...was that just you talking to Sue Henry on the show?!?
Yes

2,600,000 million jobs lost in this country in 2008.......
Scranton 2nd highest unemployment in the state......
NEPA highest jobless rate in the state.........

This is a last ditch effort to take what they can get their hands on before they are shown the door. Like pigs trying to get one more mouthful of slop before they are pulled away from the trough.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,848,543 times
Police and firefighters...people who put their lives on the line every day, have not had a raise in 7 years, yet somehow a raise for political hacks can be justified?

The politics of this area makes me sick.....

Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 AM

8 years....

Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,670,537 times
I'm getting sick of everything about this area. It's tiring listening to the same things over and over again everyday. It's never going to get any better up here and it's frustrating hearing about it all of the time. I wish I could hop on a plane and go to Vegas right now. Doherty has some nerve to take more money when the firefighters and police officers haven't gotten one in 8 years. The man is a disgrace and makes me ill. I can't take it anymore.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 01-09-2009 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM

858 posts, read 3,047,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm getting sick of everything about this area. It's tiring listening to the same things over and over again everyday. It's never going to get any better up here and it's frustrating hearing about it all of the time. I wish I could hop on a plane and go to Vegas right now. Doherty has some nerve to take more money when the firefighters and police officers haven't gotten one in 8 years. The man is a disgrace and makes me ill. I can't take it anymore.

Well perhaps, some of the youngsters’ may have a few ideas as to help our area out??

Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,463,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Well perhaps, some of the youngsters’ may have a few ideas as to help our area out??
Nice.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,734,230 times
Quote:
And as far as "retain these people instead of trying to silence them."?? He will be on his way to NY, or some where else to start his new life.. Then after makeing over 100,000k a year be back here to brag all about it!! FACT is Paul, or the other 1000+ people that are soon-to-be college graduate. Will be moving out of this state.. Because theres no work for them here.. THATS A FACT MY FRIEND>>> FACT<<< Let me ask you this??? How many people you know are working here in NEPA, with 4 years of college??? NOT MANY!!! Because theirs no money to pay these people. And if you do find a few.. Their going to be making at the most 60k.. You need to look at the facts before you correct me on my spelling!
How do you know this for sure? How do you know I might just not take a relatively low-paying full-time job in my field here while also working long hours at my sales job at Lowe's to compensate for the lower salary in my profession? I don't want to be a "quitter." People whine "Scranton sucks," so they move to South Abington, Roaring Brook, Glenmaura, or Greater Pittston to run away from their problems with their tails between their legs to become dullards who fade into suburban obscurity. People whine "this area sucks," so they move South to places like Cary, NC and then complain about "how much better things were run back North!" The point of the matter is that the grass is always greener until you get to the other side and realize the point from whence you came might not have been so terrible after all!

I love NEPA. Instead of saying "If you don't like it, leave," why not give us a chance to change things for the better? A woman who looks like she isn't much older than myself just opened a new coffee shop in Downtown Pittston called City Perk. Tonight my friend and I patronized her place after reading about it in the Times-Leader, wished her well, and promised to spread the word about her new joint to others in town to help her flourish. This is a concrete example of we "stupid foolish little kids" giving something back to the community---rehabilitating an abandoned building into what may very well rival Northern Light in Downtown Scranton once her business starts to pick up. I hope to open my own business venture someday in a local downtown as well, perhaps even Pittston. I don't understand this dichotomy of the old "stick in the muds" who say "leave well enough alone" and the progressive youths who WANT our area to catch up to the rest of the state and nation? Why be happy being sub-par and accepting this as the status quo?

If I WERE to move out of our area, I wouldn't be venturing far. I've fallen in love with Pittsburgh, as it is a larger Scranton in my humble opinion. Minneapolis also consistently ranks amongst the best cities in the nation in which to reside, but I don't know if I could handle six months of winter. I'd NEVER want to live in NYC because I want my privacy and wouldn't want to shack up with three other roommates just to make rent feasible on a decent apartment in Manhattan.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Paul your not comparing it to the The Northern Lights that had 3, count them 3, tax liens against the business last year are you? That place is FAR from a success and the tax liens proved that.....

In the mean time buckle up kiddies because there is nothing that Paul, Obama, Doherty or Evans is going to be able to do to stop the economic rollercoaster ride that we are going to be on for the next 2 to 3 years.....

I'll wager that we lose half of the small shops in the downtown, if not more, in the next 3 years..

I wouldn't be so quick to move anywhere yet....Remember that 2,600,000 jobs were lost in 08 and 500,000 last month alone.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,351,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Police and firefighters...people who put their lives on the line every day, have not had a raise in 7 years, yet somehow a raise for political hacks can be justified?

The politics of this area makes me sick.....
Don't feel to bad their older and wiser brethren in Congress are too!

"All Members of Congress are slated to get an automatic pay raise in January, 2009 unless they vote to block it. Each rank and file member of Congress is poised to see another $4,700 in his or her paycheck over the next year, an increase of 2.8 percent over their current $169,300 annual salary. "

Now with 2.8 million workers out of work in the US and a fair share in NE PA in 2008 is a pay raise justified? Will congress vote to block their own 'automatic' raise this year? How many of you common work folk got automatic pay raises of $4,700 where you can vote yourself YES or NO if you will take it or not? Oh gosh I am over paid I respectfully decline my pay raise....NOT!

I though England had a royal family? We have the entire District of Columbia deemed royalty I guess!!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 PM

703 posts, read 1,549,368 times
Quote:
Wish my parents had money to send me to collage …. So I would know how to spell…
Dude. I almost gave you rep points for a rare spelling-error free post.

And then, "D'OH!"

It's "college;" not "collage." Collage is a word, but the two aren't even homonyms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania