Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Dude. I almost gave you rep points for a rare spelling-error free post.

And then, "D'OH!"

It's "college;" not "collage." Collage is a word, but the two aren't even homonyms.
Perhaps, "an" "in" "end" "a" English teacher would be a great job for you!!

Ps. Don't quite your day job.. thats if you have one...

Old 01-10-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
How do you know this for sure? How do you know I might just not take a relatively low-paying full-time job in my field here while also working long hours at my sales job at Lowe's to compensate for the lower salary in my profession?
Don’t tell me the tables are turning now Paul?? I remember reading so many of you’re posts about how you’ll be living the good life soon…… Now you are going to stick to working at a “Big box store” such as Wal-mart and Low’s?? Thought you were in it for the long haul??? Big college degree all on the way… All them good ideas about turning Scranton, around?? All that talk about running for any kind of job you want….. What happen to all them pipe dreams?? Perhaps, is it true that you in fact Paul, are starting to grow up?? And realize everyday that gets closer to the end of you’re big 4 year degree…. You have nothing to show for it?? But 20,000 in the hole, and still working at low’s as a stock boy??

See Paul, as Dan, and many others have said time and time again… There is no good paying jobs in this area. Just because you have 4 years of college DOES NOT put you at the top of the list….. Of all the 1000’s of people in our area still looking to land a good paying job… Perhaps, you should become a writer and write novels?? You seem to be very good at putting things on paper or should I say here online…. But when it comes to the real deal… Such as life things don’t seem to be going quit as planed….

Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,655,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Don’t tell me the tables are turning now Paul?? I remember reading so many of you’re posts about how you’ll be living the good life soon…… Now you are going to stick to working at a “Big box store” such as Wal-mart and Low’s?? Thought you were in it for the long haul??? Big college degree all on the way… All them good ideas about turning Scranton, around?? All that talk about running for any kind of job you want….. What happen to all them pipe dreams?? Perhaps, is it true that you in fact Paul, are starting to grow up?? And realize everyday that gets closer to the end of you’re big 4 year degree…. You have nothing to show for it?? But 20,000 in the hole, and still working at low’s as a stock boy??

See Paul, as Dan, and many others have said time and time again… There is no good paying jobs in this area. Just because you have 4 years of college DOES NOT put you at the top of the list….. Of all the 1000’s of people in our area still looking to land a good paying job… Perhaps, you should become a writer and write novels?? You seem to be very good at putting things on paper or should I say here online…. But when it comes to the real deal… Such as life things don’t seem to be going quit as planed….
This is true. Maybe Paul is finally waking up and smelling the coffee and becoming a little more of a realist instead of strictly a pipe dreamer. Everyone has to see the light at some point.

Why is everyone coming down on you for not be that great of a speller on here? Sometimes in the heat of writing something you screw up, it's happened to all of us at some point. I mean, this isn't some college term paper or something like that, it's a public internet forum. It's really no big deal to me.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Why is everyone coming down on you for not be that great of a speller on here? Sometimes in the heat of writing something you screw up, it's happened to all of us at some point. I mean, this isn't some college term paper or something like that, it's a public internet forum. It's really no big deal to me.
I would think it's because I bring FACTS to the table.. And the youngsters’ bring pipe dreams..... They look at things the way they think it should be or how they want it to be... Fact is this thing we call life is just that!!

"Before one brings pipe dreams into life it self, one must live it first."
Quote: from.... John From Scranton.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,451,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
I would think it's because I bring FACTS to the table.. And the youngsters’ bring pipe dreams..... They look at things the way they think it should be or how they want it to be... Fact is this thing we call life is just that!!

"Before one brings pipe dreams into life it self, one must live it first."
Quote: from.... John From Scranton.
Columbus-pipe dreamer
Einstein-pipe dreamer
Aristotle-pipe dreamer
Gautama-pipe dreamer
DaVinci-pipe dreamer
Michaelangelo-pipe dreamer
Newton-pipe dreamer
Franklin-pipe dreamer
Wright Brothers-pipe dreamers
Jesus Christ-pipe dreamer
Marco Polo-pipe dreamer
Naguchi-pipe dreamer
Bell-pipe dreamer
Caius Caesar-pipe dreamer
Akhenaten-pipe dreamer
Magellen-pipe dreamer
Barton-pipe dreamer
MLK-pipe dreamer

Maybe these & many others of their ilk should have been silenced? Who knows where the next invention or idea will spring from??

"The pipe dreams of yesterday have become the reality of today."
Quote from Jungle George

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times
Please do not compare Paul and his train riding, yuppie utopia of Scranton pipe dreams to anyone on that list..

How did Jesus get on a list of pipe dreamers?

Do you think that he would have ever dreamed that the Catholic church was going to become one of the most powerful and corrupt machines on the face of the earth?

George...?

Caius Caesar?????? Wasn't he stabbed to death by his own senators?

Akhenaten??????? Wasn't his likeness chiseled from history by his own people after his death?

Columbus??????? Really.....He was a thief who sailed to rob the riches from the Americas, he brought desease and death to the people of the Americas by discovering them. Columbus was the worst thing that ever happened to people of the Carribean and Americas.

Here is deal.....Paul is not a bad kid (I have had coffee with him and would again) and its not bad to have dreams.....My only complaint is that he seems to rail on those that are less fortunate then him and he does it from a insulated position in life......Thats what I don't like.....

Walk a mile in their shoes Paul, then you have the right to say whatever you want.

The real world is coming, by virtue of time, he cannot avoid it.

John as far as the spelling goes.....The Commish is a law student and studing to become a lawyer and their job is to NIT PICK every little detail, because those little details are what can get a case thrown out....The littliest detail like forgeting to number the pages on you prelim's is enough...

With that said he is going to be a lawyer...............Enough said.

I think that all of us need to get together and have a coffee , shake hands and at least then we can put a face to each other which I think will help John and Paul get along and get me out of the house.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Hey Dan.... Perhaps, one day down the road.... Don't sound like such a bad idea.

Id love to shake the hand of the next president of the US!! Paul, cant wait to meet ya!!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times
Easy now...Honestly Paul is not a bad kid.......John we have years on him and although I don't agree with his attacks on the poor and down on their luck folks of the region, I think he is an asset.

He just needs to grow and in the process remember that there is a world out there that he has yet to see and yet to experience. I'm sure that Paul will have many eye opening experiences in life.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Easy now...Honestly Paul is not a bad kid.......John we have years on him and although I don't agree with his attacks on the poor and down on their luck folks of the region, I think he is an asset.

He just needs to grow and in the process remember that there is a world out there that he has yet to see and yet to experience. I'm sure that Paul will have many eye opening experiences in life.
I agree with you Dan, 100%... I have nothing against Paul, and never did other then the fact he has to bring my name up in topic's, I don't even have a post on or even for the matter have read. Aslo I disagree with the way he thinks on topic's such as this one..

I do agree we should all get together for a coffee and shot the ****.. Perhaps, then I will have a better understanding on where he's coming from......

So Paul, its up to you??

Also Dan, we have alot of things to *** about... You still didnt tell me how that new toy you picked up is working out...

Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,451,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Please do not compare Paul and his train riding, yuppie utopia of Scranton pipe dreams to anyone on that list..

How did Jesus get on a list of pipe dreamers?

Do you think that he would have ever dreamed that the Catholic church was going to become one of the most powerful and corrupt machines on the face of the earth?

George...?

Caius Caesar?????? Wasn't he stabbed to death by his own senators?

Akhenaten??????? Wasn't his likeness chiseled from history by his own people after his death?

Columbus??????? Really.....He was a thief who sailed to rob the riches from the Americas, he brought desease and death to the people of the Americas by discovering them. Columbus was the worst thing that ever happened to people of the Carribean and Americas.

Here is deal.....Paul is not a bad kid (I have had coffee with him and would again) and its not bad to have dreams.....My only complaint is that he seems to rail on those that are less fortunate then him and he does it from a insulated position in life......Thats what I don't like.....

Walk a mile in their shoes Paul, then you have the right to say whatever you want.

The real world is coming, by virtue of time, he cannot avoid it.

John as far as the spelling goes.....The Commish is a law student and studing to become a lawyer and their job is to NIT PICK every little detail, because those little details are what can get a case thrown out....The littliest detail like forgeting to number the pages on you prelim's is enough...

With that said he is going to be a lawyer...............Enough said.

I think that all of us need to get together and have a coffee , shake hands and at least then we can put a face to each other which I think will help John and Paul get along and get me out of the house.
Dan I was not referencing Paul & has nothing to do with him personally. I was referencing the generalization of "young people" being pipe dreamers. I have consistantly agreed that Paul needs to be out on his own to get a fully "rounded" view of life as all of us have had to do. I also agree that a face-to-face meeting would benefit all.

For whatever opinion you or others may have about the people on the list, if it were not for their "pipe dreams" they would not have achieved their place in history for us to learn from. Yes, the Catholic Church is corrupt...yes, Columbus brought about the raping of the Americas. I am talking about their original "pipe dreams"& not what man has made of their start....Jesus' message of love has very little to do with what man has turned it into. We may still be thinking the world is flat if Columbus had not sailed. It is the dreams of these people (not the warped outcome) that I am relaying. I am sure these ideals did not wait to start brewing in their minds 'til after they had "gotten out in the world to experience life"

I personally do not like generalizations. When someone lumps a whole class or cross section of people into a negative statement, it's derogatory & shows ignorance. That would be like me saying gun owners are killers or that people from Scranton are idiots. It's not right, & I look to our young people for solutions to the mess OUR generation & previous generations have made.

Again, I did not make any reference to Paul or compare him to anyone on that list...it was meant to show generalizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania