Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Scran, the admin's best allies in the PR game are the exact people that get up and speak at council. I will get flack for that from some on here but if you don't agree then you are part of the problem.
At least the council speakers seem to speak from the heart and care, unlike the Doherty three and King Chris. Like Dan said, the administration has done more damage to this city than any speaker has.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,105 times
So, can someone post what happened tonight? What happened with the amendment to raise the salaries?! I'm on the edge of my seat over here!!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM

They wisely scrapped it. How can they think of gives themselves raises while the public servants haven't gotten anything in 8 years. Council finally did something right.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
At least the council speakers seem to speak from the heart and care, unlike the Doherty three and King Chris. Like Dan said, the administration has done more damage to this city than any speaker has.
Agreed. They are indeed passionate. HOWEVER, I have never seen so much disrespect and rudeness shown at a meeting before than I have tonight. You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. I'm not a fan of the mayor, but I couldn't imagine spreading the vitriol that was spread tonight. You can conflict with civility, Ed. You don't need to have a contest to see who can make a council member cry first.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-13-2009 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
They wisely scrapped it. How can they think of gives themselves raises while the public servants haven't gotten anything in 8 years. Council finally did something right.
1. The city needs to pull itself out of distressed status.
2. The fire fighters and police officers' unions needs fair contracts.
3. The mayoral office (not necessarily Doherty in particular) DOES need a raise!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Agreed. They are indeed passionate. HOWEVER, I have never seen so much disrespect and rudeness shown at a meeting before than I have tonight. You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. I'm not a fan of the mayor, but I couldn't imagine spreading the vitriol that was spread tonight. You can conflict with civility, Ed. You don't need to have a contest to see who can make a council member cry first.
I agree with you too Paul. I wouldn't go up there and be disrespectful and rude, even though I don't like majority of council. I think most of them are sincere, but some do like to play it up for the cameras, because it does get boring complaining about the same things over and over again that never get fixed. I can't watch the meetings anymore because I no longer have cable, I have DirectTV. The meetings are entertaining and people who watch them from outside of Scranton think the speakers are fools and are laughing at them and the city.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
1. The city needs to pull itself out of distressed status.
2. The fire fighters and police officers' unions needs fair contracts.
3. The mayoral office (not necessarily Doherty in particular) DOES need a raise!
I'm not saying the mayoral office doesn't need a raise at some point in the future, but now is not the time. Wait until next year after the election, that would be more wise in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,517 times
Quote:
I'm not saying the mayoral office doesn't need a raise at some point in the future, but now is not the time. Wait until next year after the election, that would be more wise in my opinion.
Has to be done the year of that office's election. I would guess the raise takes effect at inauguration, when that office begins its next term, not immediately. As mentioned, the raise was not necessarily specifically for anyone in particular.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
Actually it has to be done in the election year of a council seat, controller or mayor. Anyone of the three....This could have been disgused two years ago or in another two years...NOT the four that Judy and Bob want you to think.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Actually it has to be done in the election year of a council seat, controller or mayor. Anyone of the three....This could have been disgused two years ago or in another two years...NOT the four that Judy and Bob want you to think.
Good point. Wait another two years and then give them a raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania