Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times

Advertisements

At least I don't hide behind anonymity.......Whoops forgot you don't have that anymore either.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
LusOnlyVoice, I'm sure you will still "lurk" on here for a few more days, even after coartist88 deletes your account as you had asked him to do, so I just wanted to extend to you my deepest condolences that you are bidding us all adieu. This is by far the most vociferous and controversial local forum I've ever had the pleasure of participating in, and I'd urge you to please reconsider your decision before it's too late and you permanently abscond from us. When I first joined this forum in mid-2006 I was one of the only ones (if not THE only one) on City-Data from NEPA. Now in 2009 I've been through all sorts of emotional peaks and valleys on here. I never knew so many people wanted to talk and argue about ME of all people, but hey, I'm not complaining! weluvpa and I used to be at each other's throats CONSTANTLY when he first joined because he mistook my Pollyanna rants about Scranton to be affirmation of my support of Mayor Doherty. Originally I, ScranBarre, DID support Mayor Doherty, but thanks to being "enlightened" by weluvpa and others I now no longer support the mayor. If I were living in the city limits right now I'd abstain from voting in 2009 because all three mayoral candidates are not worthy of the position of Scranton's chief executive, and until the position's salary is raised to a more commensurate level, we're NEVER going to attract anyone more competent than King "my way or the highway" Chris, a Cruela DeVil look-alike who'd throw her colleagues under the bus to further her agenda, and a wishy-washy insurance agent who has never met a verbal space-filler he didn't like.

Lus, I'm inarguably one of the most controversial members on this ENTIRE forum, let alone the NEPA sub-forum, and if Dan, John, Ed, CHS89, etc. haven't scared me off yet through our disagreements and spats, then they're not going to. I stopped participating in your forum because it wasn't "active" enough for my tastes with only a handful of members all patting one another on the back. It was nothing personal. I just need more stimulating "brain sex" (heated debates) than what your forum could have afforded to me. There's nothing wrong with that. Please don't take everything so personally. Yes, Dan knows who CHS89, you, me, and a few others really are. So what? Dan knows that despite my big fat Italian yap I have no political connections, hence why he's not "threatened" by me either. Why let him get under your skin so much? He's really not a terrible person. I've sat and chatted with him once before at Mansour's in the Hill, and a few other times we spoke briefly at city council meetings. I respectfully disagree with his "Scranton is sinking like the Titanic; abandon ship" views, but he's not the "bully" he comes off as on this forum.

If you decide to permanently bid us a fond farewell, then it's been a pleasure posting beside you, and I'll poke my head into your forum sometime to say "Hello." I seriously hope you do NOT leave though.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:48 PM

I'm sorry to have been so busy with work/school as of late to have not been able to jump into this thread until now, but I just wanted to provide you folks with some personal insight about the "race" issue that you're flaunting around here. Ed is 100% correct in that some people DID vote for Sen. Obama simply because of his race, viewing it as inspirational that an African-American could finally break through the proverbial "glass ceiling" and serve as a role model for fellow African-American youths. HOWEVER, I also heard a number of my customers at work chatting casually about the election, saying they were voting for Sen. McCain because "they didn't want a black guy in the WHITE House." Now, it's sad that people in NEPA are this ignorant, but it proves my point that for every one African-American person who voted for President Obama simply because he was black, there was a Caucasian person who voted for Sen. McCain because he wasn't black. Why is there no outrage on this thread in regards to the latter?

What if a Muslim were running for president? A Hispanic? Heaven forbid even a gay or lesbian individual? I'm sure there would be equal numbers of people voting both for as well as against those candidates for their diversity. Some people wouldn't want a "terrorist sympathizer" in the White House (assuming of course that just because someone is a Muslim that they are automatically an "extremist"). Some people wouldn't want a "limp-wristed interior decorator-wannabe" in the White House (assuming of course that all gay males are effeminate). Some people wouldn't want a "dem der illegal" in the White House (assuming of course that any "brown" person MUST have "jumped the border"). As long as there are still so many downright stupid and ignorant people in this nation (and judging by about 10% of my customers at Lowe's I'd have to say there's no hope in sight of our nation being fully "enlightened" any time soon), race/sexual orientation/religious identification will ALWAYS be hot button issues.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
At least I don't hide behind anonymity.......Whoops forgot you don't have that anymore either.
Why is one's opinion any less credible just because they choose to not assign their name to their posts? Why do you think I stopped submitting letters to the editor of the Times-Tribune? Why do you think I use a pseudonym on my profile? I didn't appreciate the fact that some of my relatives were harassed by people with divergent viewpoints, as if they were supposed to be my "keeper" or something. You of ALL PEOPLE with the controversies you habitually find yourself in should be sympathetic to those who don't wish to have their own families embattled in disputes.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Unlike you, I haven't been forced to retract a thing.
To be fair I don't think Dan's letter to the newspaper was voluntary. I happen to believe there was more to the Daron Northeast story than what we were all led to believe. It is quite feasible that Dan MIGHT have been right all along, but staring at mounting litigation fees he decided to put his tail between his legs and bow out in exchange for the suit against him being dropped for the sake of his family's best interests. We don't know anything for sure. What we DO know is that this company decided to relocate to the suburbs, away from residential areas, and they wouldn't have done so on their own accord just because one "Erin Brockovich" was needling them. Trust me, I've been urging people to boycott Wal-Mart for years using just as passionate of research as Dan invested into his own protests, and where has that gotten me? Wal-Mart is as profitable as ever. Large businesses are generally NOT fazed by the rantings of one individual unless what he/she has to say does indeed have some sort of merit.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:56 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Rev. James David Manning: Is Obama an Illegal Alien??? You like these youtube vid's, George.... Here watch this one!!

YouTube - Let Clarence Thomas Swear in Barack

PS.. Make sure you watch the whole thing!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm sorry to have been so busy with work/school as of late to have not been able to jump into this thread until now, but I just wanted to provide you folks with some personal insight about the "race" issue that you're flaunting around here. Ed is 100% correct in that some people DID vote for Sen. Obama simply because of his race, viewing it as inspirational that an African-American could finally break through the proverbial "glass ceiling" and serve as a role model for fellow African-American youths. HOWEVER, I also heard a number of my customers at work chatting casually about the election, saying they were voting for Sen. McCain because "they didn't want a black guy in the WHITE House." Now, it's sad that people in NEPA are this ignorant, but it proves my point that for every one African-American person who voted for President Obama simply because he was black, there was a Caucasian person who voted for Sen. McCain because he wasn't black. Why is there no outrage on this thread in regards to the latter?

What if a Muslim were running for president? A Hispanic? Heaven forbid even a gay or lesbian individual? I'm sure there would be equal numbers of people voting both for as well as against those candidates for their diversity. Some people wouldn't want a "terrorist sympathizer" in the White House (assuming of course that just because someone is a Muslim that they are automatically an "extremist"). Some people wouldn't want a "limp-wristed interior decorator-wannabe" in the White House (assuming of course that all gay males are effeminate). Some people wouldn't want a "dem der illegal" in the White House (assuming of course that any "brown" person MUST have "jumped the border"). As long as there are still so many downright stupid and ignorant people in this nation (and judging by about 10% of my customers at Lowe's I'd have to say there's no hope in sight of our nation being fully "enlightened" any time soon), race/sexual orientation/religious identification will ALWAYS be hot button issues.
Paul, 2 thing's 1 the guy isnt black.. Re: watch the vid, above.. #2, why must you always bring "Gays" into some type of topic?? It has nothing to do with obama.. Isnt there some kind of gay forum on C-D, that you can go on and talk about that stuff all day long.. Im not trying to be ignorant or anything but come on... Already... Its getting old!!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Paul, 2 thing's 1 the guy isnt black.. Re: watch the vid, above.. #2, why must you always bring "Gays" into some type of topic?? It has nothing to do with obama.. Isnt there some kind of gay forum on C-D, that you can go on and talk about that stuff all day long.. Im not trying to be ignorant or anything but come on... Already... Its getting old!!
I'm not the one who brought up GAYS in the first place. Others did. I merely added my own two cents, equivocating the "I'm not voting for a black guy" types to the "I'm not voting for a gay guy" types, since they're most often equally as ignorant. If you don't like what I have to say then I will mostly greatly enjoy being featured on your "ignore list." If anything is "getting old" it's the fact that you and your comrades continuously think you're doing us all a favor on this forum by looking at the glass half-empty all the time.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
Whats gets me is the people on TV saying this is the most exciting day in their lives. That's pretty pathetic when a politician getting elected to an office makes for an exciting day. They must lead pretty boring lives. I don't get that emotionally attached to any politician, even the ones I voted for and supported. In the end, they're just part of the political machine and that's that. There were college students saying now they can do whatever they want in life as long as you work at it and put the effort in. You mean it takes Obama to get elected to inspire you to do things in life. Again, sitting around waiting for politicians to get you motivated is pretty sad. Obama is just a politician folks, just a human being, like the rest of us, he's no savior of miracle worker.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Again, sitting around waiting for politicians to get you motivated is pretty sad. Obama is just a politician folks, just a human being, like the rest of us, he's no savior of miracle worker.
Care to tell that to the Legion of Doom who, as an aggregate, wants to "score" with Janet Evans?! LOL!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:17 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

Thank you Paul. At least you are smart enough to get what I'm saying, instead of calling me ignorant like the other ones. I was not questioning their motives at all. They can vote for who they choose. I was saying probably most blacks voted for Obama solely because he is black. No, I don't have scientific data supporting this, it's a gut feeling and a opinion. Because I said this, others on this forum have jumped on my back and they didn't even get what I was saying. Who's ignorant now?

And my reason for voting for McCain was not because he was white and I never said I didn't want a black person for President. I didn't vote for Obama because I don't like his policies and I don't think he's a strong enough leader, not because of the color of his skin.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 01-21-2009 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: added content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania