Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Ed, you may not "understand" gays, but you use respect just like Dan (sorry to have left your name out...). That's why you've earned MY respect right back even though we may differ political-wise...
Thank you. I may disagree with you politically and with your sexual persuasion, but I do respect you and don't call you names. You are still a human being. Some people can't help but call me ignorant, when in fact that's what they're being. And by the way, when I'm out in public with a girl, I never put on display of kissing or groping, I'm too shy and I reserve that for the bedroom. Plus I don't believe other people would want to see that.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 01-21-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
1. The only people who refer to Obama as the "messiah" or "the one" are his
racist critics.

2. The public does not expect Obama to turn things around fast. You are wrong. This poll and this story directly contradicts your fact-free suppositions.

3. Your explanation of the challenges Obama's agenda faces may pass muster in between commercials of a football game at the local watering hole with fellow semi-inebriated locals, but not here. This is the real stumbling block, which I will graciously explain to you: Obama has a Democratic House, so his agenda will pass in its entirety without any problems at all. But because of a Senate (not Constitutional) procedural rule, Republicans can block Obama's agenda if Democrats can't summon 60 votes for any bill. The filibuster rule, in a phrase. So if Obama ultimately can't accomplish much, it's not because he's "just a politician;" it's because of a specific rule in the Senate.
Yes, but everyone, including the media, is acting like he's so wonderful and he hasn't even done anything yet. He's become a media darling for no other reason than the fact that he has become the first black President of the US. I've never seen this much hoopla for any President in my lifetime. When Clinton came into office in 1993, there wasn't this media frenzy like there is now and he followed a Bush regime also. I think the country needs to come off this high and realize the matter at hand.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
He's become a media darling for no other reason than the fact that he has become the first black President of the US.
Well, gee, why didn't any other black politicians ever run for President? They'd win in a heartbeat and the media would love them! Obviously we know that's not the case, as anyone who ever heard the names "Al Sharpton," "Jesse Jackson," or "Alan Keyes" can attest to. Obama's extraordinary popularity stems not only from (1) the historic nature of his election win, but also due to (2) his extraordinary rhetorical abilities and political acumen (including a flawless run campaign) and (3) the timing of his election.

Let's put this in perspective: this guy beat the Clintons. Give him some credit.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Maybe we should start opening our mouths about the MULTIPLE times on various threads we read about "you & your wife trying for a baby" (which brings to mind images we'd rather not think about...). But that's OK right??

If you're gonna double-standard, make sure you cover ALL angles!!
Well george, for starters men and women been having sex for many many years. Hell if it wasnt for a women you wouldnt be here now would you george.

Images?? What are you talking about. It's on tv every night of the week every channle. even young boys and girls seem to be in the mix now a days.. Girls having kids at 12 years old.. It's part of life george.. This is how we live and keep growing..

double standards?? its not the same.. 2 guys can not have a baby.. case in point.. Yes you can raise a child that someone didnt want but you can not have one.. {{{which brings to mind images I'd rather not think about}}}

Do I agree with it NO! Thats not the way I was raised as a child.. Did I ever say anything bad about gays?? NO! All I said in that other topic, was I didnt agree with it.. Nothing more or less.. What other people do is there biz, not mine.. But I just dont want it sholved in my face..

With that said... Im done on the whole "gay" topic's... So read and respond if you must... But know I am done.. just like some gays will say.. "they cant change who they are" Well same here george.. I am who I am..

Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Well, gee, why didn't any other black politicians ever run for President? They'd win in a heartbeat and the media would love them! Obviously we know that's not the case, as anyone who ever heard the names "Al Sharpton," "Jesse Jackson," or "Alan Keyes" can attest to. Obama's extraordinary popularity stems not only from (1) the historic nature of his election win, but also due to (2) his extraordinary rhetorical abilities and political acumen (including a flawless run campaign) and (3) the timing of his election.

Let's put this in perspective: this guy beat the Clintons. Give him some credit.
I'm done with talking about Obama. I don't care for the guy, I'm not impressed with him and I don't think we're heading in the right direction with him. That's how I feel and that's how I'm going to continue to feel. Sorry if I don't fit in with the rest of the country's liberal, politically correct standards. Have a nice day!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Quote:
(2) his extraordinary rhetorical abilities and political acumen (including a flawless run campaign) and (3) the timing of his election.

Hillary was a symbol of the form of politics that this nation has had enough of, period. Your number 3 is the only reasoon that he won.

John, George, Ed Come on guys. John does it REALLY make a difference in your life if George, Paul or anyone for that matter is gay? Really?

ED what is there to disagree with? If your going by a book that was written 3000 years ago and using it to judge people TODAY then you maybe need to rethink that whole part of religion about understanding and acceptance.

Gay or straight these guys are just that guys. I have met Paul and he is no more a threat to me and my way of life then a bumble bee and he is a nice guy, well kept and polite to boot. I'm sure that the same applies to George.

You guys can continue to go around and around but for what? WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS GAY OR NOT. It certainly doesn't make them any less of a human or a man in my book.

Its getting old, honestly these are good guys and we all get along fine, there is no threat and there is nothing wrong with two human beings expressing their love for one another. Let it go and accept them for the good guys that they are.

Like I said if two people want to spend the rest of their lives together whether it be a man or woman god help them.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
I'm done with talking about Obama. I don't care for the guy, I'm not impressed with him and I don't think we're heading in the right direction with him. That's how I feel and that's how I'm going to continue to feel. Sorry if I don't fit in with the rest of the country's liberal, politically correct standards. Have a nice day!!!
Well I have to say that I am just floored about the " not politically correct" statement of JayZ ( the husband of Beyonce').........
You know, she sang at one of Obamas Inauguration Balls. I must say I like her, and her singing. Apparently what he said is on Utube, and they showed it on Fox this AM. It was a real hit on "non-black" Americans. The words, the meanings. I am kinda sitting here in disbelief. If I see him at any other Obama functions I will be also in shock. Lots of mean, swearing words.........So how many feel this way? Might we ever know?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,684 times
I feel that way....Our Country was hijacked by a bunch of anti intellectual, NEO CON, right wing religious racists.

Look how Dan acts about no one helping with he flood issues in Scranton. Now think about Katrina. That’s just one example of the way Blacks view their position in this country....Marginalized.

JAY-Z is from a ghetto in Brooklyn. His struggle in unique to yours and if that is how he expresses it then soo be it.. We all defended the old man from Scranton who asked if the white house will be called the black house, right??? Ahh give him a break he an old Italian guy from West Side, he's just joking around.... WE defend the lady who screamed at her toilet and dropped the F bomb right??//

It is too obvious when people act shocked at things like this.....How about calling out that POS Rush Limbaugh for HOPING THAT OBAMA FAILS!!! If Obama fails our Country fails....But you interpositionists want it that way....

Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 AM

936 posts, read 2,397,650 times
Quote:

But what if he does turn around our economy and help stabilize this country and others, will you then change your mind about him??? If he is a good or great president should be the decidinig factor. He should not be judged by his party affiliation or by the color of his skin. Even if you voted against him you should still stand by your country and by standing by your country you have to stand by the president.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
I wish Obama the best of luck. I think also he is smart enough to distance himself from people with words of hate. He doesn't look backwards it seems, he is looking forward.

I am more afraid of his decision on Gitmo and the detainees. Many who are there for the second time. ( 65% so it was mentioned) Fox mentioned that perhaps the " mastermind of 9/11 could be coming to a town near you" We better be careful with what we do with these terrorist......I don't want them roaming in my backyard, nor anyones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania