Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM

32,636 posts, read 77,889,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
John not a mini-14..Thats a .223/5.56....A min-30...Thats a 7.62/39mm, essentially an AK.
Wow! This is all Greek to me! All I know about guns is that Sarah Palin would be hot holding one!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 AM

858 posts, read 3,050,581 times
Quote:
John not a mini-14..Thats a .223/5.56....A min-30...Thats a 7.62/39mm, essentially an AK.
Yes I know that Dan, I just had said two of my friends have the mini -14. I dont know anyone at this point with the 30, But I will keep my eye out for you if I come across one.. Thats why I gave you the price on the rounds for the mini -30.. Not sure if thats a good deal but sounds like one to me..

Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM

703 posts, read 1,551,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
How can you say wrong? Most likely they are terrorists. And if they are, they shouldn't be let go or treated humane and with civility.
Most likely they are terrorists based on what?

The fact is that we can't continue to hold anyone indefinitely without some sort of trial to prove their guilt or innocence. That they are detainees proves nothing, especially in light of how a majority of those brought there have been simply released without any charges whatsoever.

And the point about not treating prisoners "humanely" is in violation of American and international law. If you were a military officer, you would be guilty of war crimes. Even President Bush, who personally authorized torture, felt it was against our national character enough to say that we don't torture. Who tortures? NYRangers does.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,130,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Wrong.

You are assuming they are terrorists. Why would you do that when of the 700+ people who have been through Gitmo, over 400 have been simply let go? The remaining detainees should get some type of trial (if there's anything actually triable) to determine their guilt or innocence.

I would automatically assume that any POW would be considered a terrorist or at least an enemy combatant. How you or I use the word terrorist is a different story I'm sure. You use it while sitting in a protective bubble of an American college and I use it in a much different sense. I have witnessed what a terrorist is and does first hand and I don't ever want the people in this country to have go thru 9/11 again or see what I have seen while living in Israel.

9/11 was a one time incident that killed thousands and our country was lulled back into a false sense of security afterwards. This country I hope never has to live with the day to day fear that an Israeli citizen does and we shouldn't. If locking up people that have been detained DURING a time of war helps protect our country then so be it. TOO BAD.

There are things that need to be done in the name of national security that many will not like, BUT THEY ENJOY THE SAFETY AND FREEDOMS THAT ARE PROVIDED BY THOSE ACTIONS DON'T THEY.

Like I said we will have different opinions on this one, but that is the way it is and I have no objections to them holding anyone in order to protect my son, my family and our way of life.

We are at war, whether you agree or not, we are at war and we need to realize that as soon as we let our guard down a little we will be attacked.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,682,871 times
Quote:

The fact is that we can't continue to hold anyone indefinitely without some sort of trial to prove their guilt or innocence. That they are detainees proves nothing, especially in light of how a majority of those brought there have been simply released without any charges whatsoever.

And the point about not treating prisoners "humanely" is in violation of American and international law. If you were a military officer, you would be guilty of war crimes. Even President Bush, who personally authorized torture, felt it was against our national character enough to say that we don't torture. Who tortures? NYRangers does.
If they are TERRORISTS, why would you care how they are treated? They don't care about killing us or themselves for that matter. If they are found to be terrorists, they have no rights anyway, and I say do whatever you have to to eradicate garbage. Closing down Gitmo is a huge mistake. I say hold anyone who has an inkling of being a terrorist in order to make our country safer.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:

See this is one thing they dont teach you in law school... You need to be living in the real world and dealing with real world problems to find out the truth of whats really going on.. Not something you read out of a book or see on the black borad!!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
You use it while sitting in a protective bubble of an American college and I use it in a much different sense.
I thought we agreed to drop these sort of comments?

If you're not able to do it, then that's fine. I have a lot to be smug about, and I have so much fun doing it.

Your choice.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,682,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
See this is one thing they dont teach you in law school... You need to be living in the real world and dealing with real world problems to find out the truth of whats really going on.. Not something you read out of a book or see on the black borad!!
It's called common sense and being grounded in reality. Right John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
My comments to weluvpa go to you as well.

If you are unable to refrain from personally attacking Paul and me based on our age, then you will get the same tone I've employed in the last couple pages but have dropped in my last few posts. It's entirely your decision.

Quote:
I thought we agreed to drop these sort of comments?

If you're not able to do it, then that's fine. I have a lot to be smug about, and I have so much fun doing it.

Your choice.
Wow.. I thought you were in some big Law school.. I didnt think of you as a troll, or someone that wants to start trouble for others..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania