Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post

Obama, just wants to send a word out.. I'm black and I dont want to see my brothers tortured anymore.. Thats his main reason for shuting the place down.. and if you think I have anything againest blacks I dont.. Its life they were slaves along time ago.. And obama, whats to show everyone that it wont happen again... Sad move on his part and very sad for all the people that gave so much to this country.. to have it all shot to hell by one black man that doesnt like slaves or torture!!
Ummmm, I don't think that many of the detainees at Gitmo are black....I think most of them are Middle Easterners.

I think this has more to do with regaining some of the respect that we lost under Bush...and getting back to being a respectable nation. We are definitely not safer with most of the world hating us. We've created more of a terrorist breeding ground in Iraq, and Gitmo and the Iraq war have probably done more to encourage terrorism against the US than to fight it. George W. Bush might as well have worked in the al-Qaeda recruiting office, because I'm sure his administration encouraged a lot of people in the middle east to become America-hating terrorists.

Now for something to lift our sprits and make us happy...say it with me: FORMER President George W. Bush. Thank God he's finally gone.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:36 AM

858 posts, read 3,043,942 times
Quote:
"It's time for a change" them words are now behind him. His presidency begins. So lets see what are new leader did for us so far..

Quote:
"To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect," Obama pledged.

Well we might all lose our shirts in the stock market, but heck the "Muslim world" will be a better place!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Ummmm, I don't think that many of the detainees at Gitmo are black....I think most of them are Middle Easterners.

I think this has more to do with regaining some of the respect that we lost under Bush...and getting back to being a respectable nation. We are definitely not safer with most of the world hating us. We've created more of a terrorist breeding ground in Iraq, and Gitmo and the Iraq war have probably done more to encourage terrorism against the US than to fight it. George W. Bush might as well have worked in the al-Qaeda recruiting office, because I'm sure his administration encouraged a lot of people in the middle east to become America-hating terrorists.

Now for something to lift our sprits and make us happy...say it with me: FORMER President George W. Bush. Thank God he's finally gone.
As I said in another post!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
What do you have against Muslims? I know of a few, and they are very kind, dear people to me. They're not all "terrorists," you know, right?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
Former President Bush doesn't make me anymore happier than current President Obama, not when he's making our country unsafer with his pacifist efforts. I don't find anything wrong with torturing bad people, people who don't like our way of life and would love to see it snubbed out in a second. I have no mercy for terrorists. They don't respect us and we have no reason to respect them. We can't become a nation with no backbone and no courage, so we don't offend certain people with a faint heart. We have to be strong and treat the enemy the way they need to be treated.

Paul, I personally would not want to get too close to Muslims, you never know? That's just me.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,128,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post

There is nothing in your post that addresses whether torture works. You were responding to a post that addressed that question, so I would imagine that a response that says "that sounds good but doesn't always work that way" would have something to say about how torture actually does work.
Originally Posted by coartist88
That sounds good...doesn't always work that way...unless you where in the field of law enforcement you will never truely understand...I did 20+ years

The reason I mentioned this...was because being invovled with the tragedy
lost family...and friends...so do you think I really care about the welfare of a terrorist....don't know if the torture works...don't know anything about it..
so lets keep it at a debate level and don't get personal....and make
accusations...

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 01-23-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What do you have against Muslims? I know of a few, and they are very kind, dear people to me. They're not all "terrorists," you know, right?
Exactly. Just like all Christians are not child-beaters like James Dobson....

Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM

858 posts, read 3,043,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
My point Paul, is he will help his own people before you or me!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I think its already been cleared up that Obama is NOT a Muslim. He is a practicing Christian, and contrary to what the tinfoil hat brigade believes, he took his oath of office on a Bible, not a Koran.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,685 times
Explain that...'his own people'...please.

You mean blacks? Nothing racially charged there.

You mean Muslims? You're aware that Obama is not Muslim, right, or are you still getting those e-mails?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
Quote:
The reason he wants to close down Gitmo is because he thinks that the terrorists will perceive us as kinder and gentler and then they won't attack us anymore. BULL!! This will only make us more vulnerable to attack when our guard is down. Obama is no leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania