Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,456,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I can tell from your views that you've never been a woman.
Now THAT'S a visual I could've done without!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 AM

858 posts, read 3,045,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I can tell from your views that you've never been a woman.

YouTube - Michael Savage - Rev. Joseph Lowery delivers Racist Benediction for Barack Obama

Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
My point here is not to argue whether or not abortion should be legal or not, my problem is with taxpayer funding for abortion. Taxpayer funding of OVERSEAS abortions yet. With our economy in such poor shape, why should money be wasted on international abortions. Honestly, I think all foreign aid should be stopped until we straighten out our own mess.

Yes I do think that abortion should be wiped off the face of the earth, but that's for a different argument. But why do liberals believe that the solution to unwanted poor children is to KILL them? Also, maybe if those parents cannot afford children, they should either use some sort of contraception? I'm all for the government handing out all the free birth control anybody needs....it would reduce the welfare rolls and abortions.

Also, I can tell by your views on abortion that you have never been a parent.
It's none of your business whether I've ever been a parent or not...nor would it be any of your business if I had an abortion. Until you have your own uterus, you have no say...thank God for Roe v. Wade

Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM

I don't condone abortion personally except in cases of medical emergency or rape. BUT I do condone the RIGHT to a woman's choosing to have one. There's the difference. It seems that if someone's FOR the right of choice, they automatically become pro-abortion. This is not true. I think it's horrible to terminate a fetus (or whatever the term would be for the stage...). But I would NEVER put a limit on a woman's choice to have one done if she found it necessary.

If abortion ever gets back to being illegal, that takes away the rights of the female to have one in a safe, sterile environment. (and historically, it will not STOP abortions, merely make the women go to the "backstreet butchers" to have them done as has been done for thousands of years...)

I still think education is the key to diminishing the number of abortions. Teach little Sally to keep her legs together & little Tommy to keep his fly zipped, & if neither can bear to do that, then use adequate protection.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
If abortion ever gets back to being illegal, that takes away the rights of the female to have one in a safe, sterile environment. (and historically, it will not STOP abortions, merely make the women go to the "backstreet butchers" to have them done as has been done for thousands of years...)
If the court strikes down Roe v. Wade, then the states are free to regulate abortion as they wish. So, the more liberal states in the northeast and the west would likely keep it, and the more conservative southern and midwestern states would likely ban it. Yet, you're right, abortion will continue in those states that have banned it. The richer women will simply drive or fly to another state that allows abortions, and the poorer women who can't afford to do that will endure the dangerous back alley abortions. So when we say "ban abortion" we really mean "screw over poorer women."

Old 01-25-2009, 02:08 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
Just got this forwarded email. Figured some of you would appreciate it.

When a company falls on difficult times, one of the things that seems to happen are they reduce their staff and workers. The remaining workers need to find ways to continue to do a good job or risk that their job would be eliminated as well.. Wall street, and the media normally congratulate the CEO for making this type of "tough decision", and his board of directors gives him a big bonus.

I feel our government should not be immune from similar risks. I therefore am recommending the following cuts to be implemented by the next president elect.

Reduce the House of Representatives from the current 435 members to 218 members and Senate members from 100 to 50 (one per State). Also reduce remaining staff by 25%.

Accomplish this over the next 8 years. (two steps / two elections) and of course this would require some redistricting.

Some yearly monetary gains include:

$44,108,400 for elimination of base pay for congress. (267 members X $165,200 pay / member / yr.)

$97,175,000 for elimination of the above people's staff. (estimate $1.3 Mil in staff per each member of the House, and $3 Mil in staff per each member of the Senate every year)

$240,294 for the reduction in remainin g staff by 25%.

$7,500,000,000 reduction in pork barrel ear-marks each year. (those members whose jobs are gone. Current estimates for total government pork earmarks are at $15 Billion / yr)

The remaining representatives would need to work smarter and would need to improve efficiencies. It might even be in their best interests to work together for the good of our country?

We may also expect that smaller committees might lead to a more efficient resolution of issues as well. It might even be easier to keep track of what your representative is doing.

Congress has more tools available to do their jobs than it had back in 1911 when the current number of representatives was established. (telephone, computers, cell phones to name a few)

Note: Congress did not hesitate to jump on a train for home this week when it was a holiday, when the nation needed a real fix to the economic problems. Also, we have 3 senators that have not been doing their jobs for the past 18+ months (on the campaign trail) and still they all have been accepting full pay. These facts alone support a reduction in senators & congress.

Summary of opportunity:

$44,108,400 reduction of congress members.

$282,100,000 for elimination of the reduced house member staff.

$150,000,000 for elimination of reduced senate member staff.

$59,6 75,000 for 25% reduction of staff for remaining house members.

$37,500,000 for 25% reduction of staff for remaining senate members.

$7,500,000,000 reduction in pork added to bills by the reduction of congress members.

$8,073,383,400 per year, estimated total savings.

Big business does these types of cuts all the time.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
No I don't. Sometimes the truth hurts. If she had carried a child or if she was a parent, her views may very well change. I was pretty indifferent to abortion until I became a parent myself.
I don't think it was callous at all. I agree 100 percent with you go phillies. I'm indifferent to abortion and I'm not a parent, I can imagine what it feels like for you that you are. Roe v Wade never should have happened in the first place and I believe should be overturned, once again, my opinion.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Ed, to say a country is a "Christian Nation", 100% of it's citizens would have to be Christian. To say a country is a "Jewish Nation", 100% of it's citizens would have to be Jewish. (Israel can't even proclaim that, as there are practicing Christians, Muslims, etc who are citizens of Israel.) In a democracy, majority rules. We are a democracy & not a theocracy. If a theocracy tried for "majority rule", we'd have the Crusades & Inquisition all over again in 1 form or another (look at the Muslim extremists...).

What we're actually dealing with here is individual "comfort level". Since Christians believe a certain way, they're not "comfortable" (not saying ALL Christians), with the beliefs of Jews or Muslims or Pagans or other religions in general. Same goes for most Jews. Most Pagans. Most Muslims. etc. Beliefs are very personal, & it's hard for an individual if (s)he feels threatened by another set of beliefs. I don't want to "generalize" here...just a train of thought...

When another belief system (or lack of one also) impinges on the majority "turf" of another belief system, there's bound to be feelings of apprehension, mistrust & some malice. That's human nature. But being as our country is "supposed to" have separation of church & state, an individual belief system (no matter if it's majority or minority) can NOT believe it is the "ruling" belief system of it. That would negate any other belief systems of our country's residents as "sub-class" or "not valid".

Since our country's Jewish, Atheist, Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, Shinto, & any other belief citizens pay taxes, vote & otherwise participate in our democratic system, they have 100% of the same legal rights as the Christian majority of our country do.

The "division" comes from the mistrust & "looking down upon" of individuals from majorities onto minorities, not from a new leader who is acknowledging their validity in this country as true citizens.
I like the way you respond better than Paul (CHS89). You're not condesending or try to come off better than others with silly comments and an arrogant tone.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:03 PM

858 posts, read 3,045,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I like the way you respond better than Paul (CHS89). You're not condesending or try to come off better than others with silly comments and an arrogant tone.
Don't surprise yourself..

Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Ed, I am NOT any better than you or anyone else for that matter. I try to respond with respect, 'cause "if ya give it, ya get it"!!

And unlike some posters who play games like back-handed comments to 1 poster while meaning another poster instead of addressing that poster direct, (aren't kindergarten games just SO immature!!) I will address comments direct & not *****-foot around like a sulking 2 year old!!

Ed, I know you are a decent guy with a good heart & good intentions. My opinions just don't match yours 100% of the time, but why act like a baby?? You're an adult...I'm an adult...HEY!!! Let's go have a beer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania