Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
to570717..I respect your thoughts, but if we elect doherty in again..were in some serious trouble. Jimmy connors got us out of debt for the first time in nearly a century..and dumbass doherty put us back in the whole. We need a candidate that is good with financial situations. who did you have in mind? fannucci? gatelli? no thanks! they can crawl in a rat hole and die for all i care. first they pass a law on smokeing that blew up in their face which i laughed my kahunas off because the only one that knew it would bite them in the nads..was janet evens. ..then they pass a 35 million dollar bond...then they pass a 10 million dollar loan. whats next? they are switching to geico to save some money. I mean..the blood needs to stop. if we dont stop the blood from spilling now..then we let them win. I for one..have evens back 100%. **** doherty and his little satans angels fatnucci and fatelli. as far as mcghofff is concerned..well punish him this november. the taxpayers has his number.
To borrow a McGoff quote, this is proof that Evans is a failure as an English teacher.

Personally, I don't see her getting past the primary, if in fact she's even running. Contrary to the OP, there has been no confirmed announcement. Hints of one to come? Sure. Nothing's confirmed, though. Until it is, take the rumormongering elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:03 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,082 times
hey how does she know Darrel Dawkins. That is random. I saw a pic of the two of them at her 20 per person B day party.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:06 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
A funny cartoon from the Times editorial yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails
Political/Off-Topic sticky chat thread-081607coletoon.jpg  

Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Regardless of whether or not Janet runs is no reason to vote for Judy, she will the same as Doherty and she will be playing to the same group of contributors. Judy=Doherty there would be no difference. DiBileo is running again but he does not have the backbone needed to take Doherty out so instead of bashing Janet come up with a option that is not connected to the Doherty network. Courtright is out, the $35,000,000 bond issue is a smoking gun and he pushed for it like the CRF loans in the past he cannot be trusted at this point. 570717 honestly the mayor has really done nothing for the city, sure he cleaned up the downtown but he has not brought anything new to really help the city down there other than restaraunts and bars and they do not breath life back into a failing downtown. The Southern Union building is empty and we had to build that for his buddy Karim and where did that get us? We lost millions on the Hilton when he gave up our first position on the loan and when they did not pay we got nothing and lost the money that city put into it. And it was a Connors project just like the E Market st bridge and the flood control projects all of these things he has taken credit for were started by Connors so since the mayor has been in office he has done nothing of his own but he has taken credit for alot of others projects that he had nothing to do with. He gave us Southern Union and thats it and that failed miserably. Doherty has to go no matter what or we will be in so much debt that the city will NEVER recover financially. Oh by the way if your going to climb on someones opinion why do you feel the need to go after grammer and or spelling? Give me a break , I am the worst typist out there and I make a million mistakes and what the hell does that have to do with my opinion? Drop this DD and PD BU%LSH&T, let it go, your only dig is that they are from either of those sites, I for one enjoy our debates here but yet Go Phillies you immediately have to drag this into that BS, I was done with that crap on the other threads and I am done with it here, either step up and debate or shut up, but drop the childish comments about OTHER websites and leave that crap for them on those sites, its a joke that you cannot honestly have a discussion without sinking to that crap. It makes you look like the ignorant people that you are making fun of.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Without sounding bad, what i mean to say is at least Doherty knows the right People. He is in with the UofS. He knows the right people. Janet does not. She knows them, but they dont care for her and i dont think she cares for them. Inorder for the city to have any type of revitilization it is going to take money and legislative power. Unfortunaly the way they do that is by placing the burden on the back of the tax payers.

I look at what is ahppening here where i live. And in places like Brooklyn NY and north Jersey. Taxes way way up. Cost of living way way up. Legislatures in the back pocket of power brokers. PAY TO PLAY> i know these are not good things for the avg joe but it is the way it is. Janet is nieve if she thinks she can step in and lower taxes in a city inhabited by mostly poor people. She will lower taxes, cut all these useless postions and then due to her expertise in political keeness be able to revitilize a city that has been despretly trying to crawl out of the whole since 1945? I dont think so.

I honestly dont like any of them when it comes to their way of dealing with politics. They are all sneaky bastards.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Beleive me that Jnaet or any other politician knows that they will never be able to lower our taxes or we will never be able to pay the debt down. The next mayor is going to have to serve the residents with alot of SH&^ sandwiches to get thsi debt down. The key is to not increase the debt but lower it, even if taxes have to be raised do it to bring it down but stop increasing it. The mayor increase our debt the mintue he wakes in the morning he has to go and he can take his over spending ways with him. As far as knowing the RIGHT people or the U of S that has gotten us nothing and the U continues to grow our dime so that to me is irrelevant. They are the ones that are helping the mayor to drive us deeper and deeper into the black hole of municipal debt. The U of S can go F^*K itself. That school does nothing for this city.The students really do not add that much to our economy and when done they all run away and none stay, so what are they doing? They are taking taxable land at a alarming rate and we are getting nothing in return.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM

The Uof S is the reason Scranton is still on the MAP. don;t forget that. It is one of the only positives the city has, They should thank their lucky stars that it has stayed.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
The Uof S is the reason Scranton is still on the MAP. don;t forget that. It is one of the only positives the city has, They should thank their lucky stars that it has stayed.
That's overstating it a bit, you think? This city would be no worse off without the spoiled party animals from NJ. I'm not saying that Da U is Satan incarnate, but to say that it keeps the city afloat and we would be just some banjo-pickin Appalachian podunk town without it is ridiculous. We have other colleges and universities in this area where you can receive just as good of an education.

Personally, as a Catholic, I would rather my children attend a good Catholic college like King's College (run by the Holy Cross Fathers from Notre Dame) as opposed to the liberal Jesuit pseudo-Catholics at Da U.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM

You don;t know what you are talking about when it comes to Jesuits, that much is obvious. I am in no way saying that without the U scranton would be dumber. I am saying that it keeps a large amount of interest and focus on the area that Marywood, LJC Wilkes ect...do not. I go a a alumni meeting every 6 months here in FLa in Naples. I go there and Talk to a lot of alum who live here now and also Fr. Pilarz or who ever the president is at the time. Those meetings shed a lot of light as to how much the University and its alum do for the town. I am not going to get into all that here and now, Do the reasearch yourself and see all of the things the U and its students and faculty contribute to the city and NEPA in general. It outweighs any and all other corps or non profits in all of NEPA.
I seriously do not understand how someone can make an ill infomred comment on what a jesuit is when they have no idea. tell me where they differ from a Passionist, perish or any other type of preist FUNDAMENTALLY.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Default This is what a Jesuit is

The Society of Jesus, (Latin: Societas Iesu, abbreviated as S.J. and S.I.) is a Christian religious order of the Roman Catholic Church at the service of the universal Church. Its members are known as Jesuits, and have colloquially been called "Soldiers of Christ", first, and "Foot soldiers of the Pope", second, partly because the Society's founder, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, was a knight before becoming a priest.

Today, Jesuits number 20,170 (with 14,147 priests), and compose the largest male religious order in the Roman Catholic Church (the Franciscan family of OFMs, Capuchins, and Conventuals has approximately 31,899 members, of whom 20,786 are priests; however, the "family" consists of multiple orders).

Jesuit priests and brothers are engaged in ministries in 112 nations on six continents. No work, if it has an evangelical perspective, is closed to them, but they are best known in the fields of education (schools, colleges, universities, seminaries, theological faculties), intellectual research and cultural pursuits. They are also known in missionary work and direct evangelization, social justice and human rights activities, interreligious dialogue and other 'frontier' ministry.

They are present even in countries where there are few Roman Catholics or where Christianity is altogether banned.

The Society of Jesus is consecrated under the patronage of Madonna Della Strada, a title of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and is led by a Superior General, currently Peter Hans Kolvenbach.

The headquarters of the Society, called General Curia, is in Rome. The history curia of St Ignatius is now part of the Collegio del Gesù attached to the Church of the Gesù, the Jesuit Mother Church.
Society of Jesus

Jesuit Hierarchy
Superior General
Peter Hans Kolvenbach

Famous Jesuits
St. Ignatius of Loyola
St. Francis Xavier
Blessed Peter Faber
St. Aloysius Gonzaga
St. Robert Bellarmine
St. Peter Canisius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania