Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,972,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Are you a Lynett or Doherty?

A Lynett is a possibility. And the Lynetts do own property in Florida....coincidence? Maybe not. He sure toots the Doherty horn a lot for someone who hails from the Abingtons. Most people up that way aren't into passionately defending Doherty as much as he has. They may think he's a good mayor, because they don;t look too much into Scranton's issues, but by and large, suburbanites are pretty neutral on Doherty and Scranton politics. But the Lynetts are in bed with Doherty and their "newspaper" is the Doherty house organ.

Les Spindler from the council meetings may act like a goof sometimes, but I like his name for the Times-Tribune: "The Doherty Newsletter."

Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,346,155 times
So few quality candidates and so many Herculean problems to solve. When one or all start to address how they will tackle these questions I will be inclined to exercise my right to vote until then I shall hold my right in escrow awaiting a true leader.

1. Health care reform. Why should the number of people covered each year decline yet
prices go up? What ever happened to savings in volume?

2. Jobs. All candidates are for jobs but where are they? It is great to talk about
having fair trade but what is the true definition of fair? Signing trading agreement
with countries that have significant standard of living differences between ours
benefits those countries not ours. We Americans keep taking it as our leaders
truly believe we can afford it somehow.?

3. Fair tax distribution. Why do people that work have NO say in where there tax
money is spent? We elect individuals based on their individual views but once
they become part of a larger body they seem to vote with the majority. They
never ask us how much tax money to take each pay check its automatically
taken and spent. A THANKS now and then would be greatly appreciated from
someone that is benefiting from our labor.

4. Earned payments. When have we stopped believing that one has to earn a living
and not somehow born into a living? Have we created a Monarchy of sorts where
people are born with a social spoon and shall always have that social spoon to
feed off of?

5. Honesty. When candidates tell truths and not what we want to hear. They are
everything to everyone when they are running and nothing to no one when they
win. Sad.

This was a great country that has slipped through our greedy lazy hands. Make a difference and fix something thats broke in your community, write you elected officials and tell them what's on your mind, good and bad. Tell them to stop spending your hard earned money on project and programs for the few. Save money in this country, invest in it or it shall be lost forever...........

I love this country and the men and women that are protecting it, use your vote wisely and don't take no for an answer!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,663,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
A Lynett is a possibility. And the Lynetts do own property in Florida....coincidence? Maybe not. He sure toots the Doherty horn a lot for someone who hails from the Abingtons. Most people up that way aren't into passionately defending Doherty as much as he has. They may think he's a good mayor, because they don;t look too much into Scranton's issues, but by and large, suburbanites are pretty neutral on Doherty and Scranton politics. But the Lynetts are in bed with Doherty and their "newspaper" is the Doherty house organ.

Les Spindler from the council meetings may act like a goof sometimes, but I like his name for the Times-Tribune: "The Doherty Newsletter."
Les does speak the truth there. Scranton needs another newspaper to tell the other side of the story, not just the Doherty side. I remember a few months ago Ozzie Quinn had a petition at the council meetings, that I signed, to bring the Times Leader to Scranton. I haven't heard anything since. It is really sad when the one paper here in this city isn't objective and always slants toward Doherty and his cronies. This must change.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:36 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
You folks in Lackawanna County would be quite pleased with the quality of the Times-Leader. It seems like every morning I head out to the doorstep, peel off the rubber band holding the paper tightly into a roll, and then open up the issue to see headlines exposing all sorts of corruption within the government of Luzerne County. There isn't as much in the way of negative press about the city government in Wilkes-Barre, but then again residents in the Diamond City seem to be more complacent and less suspicious about their city's elected officials than their counterparts in the Electric City. I think if Richard Connor ever brought the Times-Leader to Lackawanna County as well, city administrators in Scranton would be shivering in their boots. After all, a lot more people in Scranton read the daily paper than read Doherty Deceit.

I think IDEALLY the paper should be a tri-county one (Lackawanna/Luzerne/Wyoming) in order to help bring the long-standing rivalries between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to a close. It would be neat for residents of Olyphant to read about happenings that they might like to experience in the Back Mountain and for residents in Nanticoke to read about events planned in Old Forge. It would really help to pull our metro area together after generations of divisiveness.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:51 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,103,913 times
He's no Lynett, he wishes his family had that kind of pull.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM

923 posts, read 3,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Let me guess...Your voting for Hillary? I shouldn't even ask because thats what politically connected sheep are doing in the area right?

They all suck. I like the 2nd Amendment so I'm not voting for a democrat. Everytime they call and ask for my support for Barak or Hillary, they ask if I have any questions.

They get the same one every time. What is their position on gun control?

I never get a answer, never.......All I get is "goto their website".

Either side is going to errode our civil liberties in one way or another. I'm writing in Donald Duck.
I'll give Porky Pig my vote !!!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:30 PM

923 posts, read 3,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Les does speak the truth there. Scranton needs another newspaper to tell the other side of the story, not just the Doherty side. I remember a few months ago Ozzie Quinn had a petition at the council meetings, that I signed, to bring the Times Leader to Scranton. I haven't heard anything since. It is really sad when the one paper here in this city isn't objective and always slants toward Doherty and his cronies. This must change.
Thats what happens when the newspaper people create a monopoly. It was
a lot more fun when we had -The Tribune vs. The Times. Now we only
hear one side, the democratic side.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,972,287 times
Wow what an elitist scum Barack Obama is.... he's sunk. He claims that people in small town PA and other states are clinging to guns and religion because we're depressed about the rust belt economy? The democrats better hope that Hillary wins the nomination, because the Republicans will hammer him on this one. If Obama is the nominee, McCain will definitely win, and we'll be stuck in Iraq forever. I'm not a big Hillary fan, but she's definitely looking like the lesser of two evils compared to Barack Osama.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,663,226 times
"This is the same person who spent a decade with her husband campaigning for NAFTA, and now goes around saying she's opposed to NAFTA," Obama said, referring to the North American Free Trade Agreement, which is widely unpopular among blue-collar voters.

"What I was saying is that when economic hardship hits in these communities, what people have is they've got family, they've got their faith, they've got the traditions that have been passed onto them from generation to generation," Obama said at the forum, which was televised on CNN. "Those aren't bad things. That's what they have left."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are statements Obama made this weekend after his initial statement a few days ago about small town America. The point is Hillary is no better. She can't relate to blue-collar middle class Americans when she and her husband have raked in $109 million in 9 years. Who is this woman kidding? She may try to trick the other sheep, but she won't pull the wool over my eyes. And once again she's waffling about NAFTA as Obama pointed out. I'm not falling for her
rhetoric and I hope she doesn't get the nomination. And the way Doherty follows her around like a puppy dog is sickening.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM

703 posts, read 1,547,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Wow what an elitist scum Barack Obama is.... he's sunk. He claims that people in small town PA and other states are clinging to guns and religion because we're depressed about the rust belt economy
He said that some do.

And it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania