Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times

Advertisements

I'm sure your right.......Wouldn't it be nice to have some good changes come our way.
No more thousand dollar oil deliveries. Health care for ALL Americans. Reasonable gas pricing, food prices returning to normal........and a much better overall economy.........Cross your fingers. Here's hoping.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
The way I see it, Hillary had eight years to come up with a plan and did nothing, so I certainly won't vote for her based on any healthcare-related issue.
Hillary wasn't president for those 8 years....her husband was. Plus, there is a good chance that any national healthcare plan at the time was railroaded by a republican-controlled Congress.

At least she tried, which is pretty good for someone who wasn't even holding a political office. A health care plan never made it through because of the powerful lobbyists for the health care/insurance industry. It all comes down to the almighty $$$ taking precedence over the the greater public good once again.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Hillary wasn't president for those 8 years....her husband was.
This is a statement I continuously try to impress upon Sen. Clinton's most ardent supporters. If the locals aren't voting for her simply because "she's a woman, and I'm a woman; therefore, she's the candidate that speaks for me", or "she's a hometown gal who will remember Scranton in the Oval Office", they're saying "President Clinton was a good president, so the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree." I'm inclined to be more of a skeptic. Following this logic, then should not have the nation said "President George H.W. Bush was a disaster, hence his son will also be a disaster?" As we've seen in both 2000 and 2004 (thanks, Southerners), that logic wasn't followed here. Why? People had the mindset that these were two distinctive people with two distinctive personalities. Why not the same with the Clintons? Do you honestly think Bill and Hillary agree on everything? Do you think Sen. Clinton will be able to, as she says "clean up after the second Bush just as my husband cleaned up after the first Bush?" The nation wasn't nearly as disastrous in the early-1990s as it is today; it will take ANY candidate, even Ron Paul, John McCain, or Barack Obama, at LEAST two full terms to start to repair the damage that Pres. Bush has spawned upon our nation since the dawn of the millenium.

Would any vehement Sen. Clinton supporters mind explaining to me as to why so many of your fellow faithful think she's qualified simply because her husband was a good president (excluding the oral sex)? My sister is an English teacher. Does that equate to me also being qualified to being a dedicated English educator?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 AM

996 posts, read 3,280,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Hillary wasn't president for those 8 years....her husband was. Plus, there is a good chance that any national healthcare plan at the time was railroaded by a republican-controlled Congress.

At least she tried, which is pretty good for someone who wasn't even holding a political office. A health care plan never made it through because of the powerful lobbyists for the health care/insurance industry. It all comes down to the almighty $$$ taking precedence over the the greater public good once again.
You might want to check your facts before automatically blaming everything wrong in the country on Republicans:

1993 Clinton health care plan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Clinton health care plan)

"The Clinton health care plan, sometimes called "HillaryCare" by opponents,[1][2][3] was a 1993 healthcare reform package proposed by the administration of Bill Clinton, then President of the United States, and created and chaired by the First Lady of the United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton."

"Hillary Clinton's leading role in this project was unprecedented for a presidential spouse.[11][12] This unusual decision by President Clinton to put his wife in charge of the project has been attributed to several factors, including the President's desire to emphasize his personal commitment to the enterprise.[12]"

"Starting on September 28, 1993, Hillary Clinton appeared for several days of testimony before five congressional committees on health care.[9] Opponents of the bill organized against it before it was presented to the Democratic-controlled Congress on November 20, 1993."

"In August of 1994, Democratic Senate Majority Leader George J. Mitchell introduced a compromise proposal that would have delayed requirements of employers until 2002, and exempted small businesses. However, "Even with Mitchell’s bill, there were not enough Democratic Senators behind a single proposal to pass a bill, let alone stop a filibuster.""

Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
You might want to check your facts before automatically blaming everything wrong in the country on Republicans:

1993 Clinton health care plan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Clinton health care plan)

"The Clinton health care plan, sometimes called "HillaryCare" by opponents,[1][2][3] was a 1993 healthcare reform package proposed by the administration of Bill Clinton, then President of the United States, and created and chaired by the First Lady of the United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton."

"Hillary Clinton's leading role in this project was unprecedented for a presidential spouse.[11][12] This unusual decision by President Clinton to put his wife in charge of the project has been attributed to several factors, including the President's desire to emphasize his personal commitment to the enterprise.[12]"

"Starting on September 28, 1993, Hillary Clinton appeared for several days of testimony before five congressional committees on health care.[9] Opponents of the bill organized against it before it was presented to the Democratic-controlled Congress on November 20, 1993."

"In August of 1994, Democratic Senate Majority Leader George J. Mitchell introduced a compromise proposal that would have delayed requirements of employers until 2002, and exempted small businesses. However, "Even with Mitchell’s bill, there were not enough Democratic Senators behind a single proposal to pass a bill, let alone stop a filibuster.""
Yes, but Republicans in the Senate in 1994 would have filibustered even if the Democrats had enough votes to pass the bill. Republicans will also filibuster any Democratic health plan in 2009, when all Democrats will be lined up to support a universal health care bill. So don't make this seem like Democrats are the ones stopping universal health care.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:14 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
This is a statement I continuously try to impress upon Sen. Clinton's most ardent supporters. If the locals aren't voting for her simply because "she's a woman, and I'm a woman; therefore, she's the candidate that speaks for me", or "she's a hometown gal who will remember Scranton in the Oval Office", they're saying "President Clinton was a good president, so the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree." I'm inclined to be more of a skeptic. Following this logic, then should not have the nation said "President George H.W. Bush was a disaster, hence his son will also be a disaster?" As we've seen in both 2000 and 2004 (thanks, Southerners), that logic wasn't followed here. Why? People had the mindset that these were two distinctive people with two distinctive personalities. Why not the same with the Clintons? Do you honestly think Bill and Hillary agree on everything? Do you think Sen. Clinton will be able to, as she says "clean up after the second Bush just as my husband cleaned up after the first Bush?" The nation wasn't nearly as disastrous in the early-1990s as it is today; it will take ANY candidate, even Ron Paul, John McCain, or Barack Obama, at LEAST two full terms to start to repair the damage that Pres. Bush has spawned upon our nation since the dawn of the millenium.

Would any vehement Sen. Clinton supporters mind explaining to me as to why so many of your fellow faithful think she's qualified simply because her husband was a good president (excluding the oral sex)? My sister is an English teacher. Does that equate to me also being qualified to being a dedicated English educator?
I'm trying to figure this one out too Paul. Just because Slick Willy was the President, how does that give this woman more experience than Obama to be elected to the position. Unless she was running the country behind the scenes while Bill was sleeping around. And for the record, I don't think Bill Clinton was that great of a President, IMHO.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_ACRE_CIRCUS View Post
I like the sheep!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm trying to figure this one out too Paul. Just because Slick Willy was the President, how does that give this woman more experience than Obama to be elected to the position. Unless she was running the country behind the scenes while Bill was sleeping around. And for the record, I don't think Bill Clinton was that great of a President, IMHO.
The whole "experience" canard puzzles me, too.

These are all U.S. Senators with relatively equal work experiences in that body. It would be different if we were comparing the responsibilities of a Senator with the more executive experience of a Governor, or, shocker upon shocker, someone with no political experience whatsoever. And then we get into length of service, but then the calculus changes because Obama and Clinton did other things before getting into public service, so experience in those fields becomes an issue. Then we get into judgment, policy proposals, education, intellectual curiosity, and so on. Anyone who wants to make this a simple "I spent X number of years doing this" argument about relative qualifications for the Presidency isn't giving voters the whole picture.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:58 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
When It Comes Down To It Nothing Is Going To Change. Whomever Wins Will Spend The First Year Getting Settled. They'll Work For The Next Year And A Half And Then They'll Campaign For The Last Year And Half To Get Relected.

Nothing Will Change!
Your absolutely right !!! This is exactly what every president has done as
long as I can remember Promises, promises, promises !!!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,059 times
Default Ray Lyman: Patriot

Ray Lyman is a patriot . His undying defense of civil rights inspires me everyday. As I wake up in the morning I often wonder where is my life going? what do I have to live for? What is that buzzing noise in my head? But then I think of Ray and his Conquest for human rights in far away Scranton Pennsylvania.
You see I live in Nigeria and I wish to ski. I recently swindled a pair of snow pants from an unsuspecting US teenager, leaving him short 200 dollars and a pair of snow pants! Success!
However my success, and the teenagers loss, remind me of the Citizens of Scranton's relationship with the Scranton City Council.
The City Council constantly cheats the citizens of Scranton out of A LOT of money and services. (I'll refer you to this video
YouTube - Secret Meadins and Anger Management when Ray lyman talks about sections 5D and 6B) The people of Scranton should be rallying behind their fearless leader Ray Lyman, but instead they make fun of him using vague, obscure metaphors such as "not the sharpest knife in the drawer."

I'm appaulled by your lack of respect for Ray Lyman. If a patriot like him lived in Nigeria we would be much better off. I'd be able to ski and all of our streets would be paved.

Every morning before I go to sleep I read this quote from Ray to myself and I think you should do the same so that you can see the error of your ways, "Raymond Lyman. In the United States all people were created equal, but not in the city of Scranton. Scranton is like Berlin under Hitler, the Mayor and City Council do not answer the people's questions. City Council fights and laughs at us, Scranton Times calls us name, but the Mayor and City Council do not allow children to swim for free. I believe all people and religion and people and justice for all."

In Raymond Lyman I trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania