Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times

Advertisements

Casper mentioned Tink's and McGinty's as two businesses hurt by the "SMOKEING" ban. For starters, if it hurt McGinty's business, WHO CARES? That place is a dump and a haven for scumbags. Property values would shoot up if places like that closed. And now I know you have no idea what you're talking about, because Tink's was exempt from the smoking ban. If anything, they may have gained business. But in my opinion, Tink's is another place than can close for all I care. That place has really gone downhill and is a haven for trouble anymore.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Well where do I get started, I guess that since I have been putting my new roof on for the last three days I have missed alot. Lets start with the smoking ban, first I'll start by saying that I do not smoke but I also do not care who smokes either. The Scranton ban was illegal and it was from the get go, but what you all are missing is the real reason behind all of this. Do not think that for one minute that our council of idiots came up with this themselves and do not think that the kids are or were resopnsible for this either. That went from idea to legislation in a month, a month, to write that kind of legislation in a month is almost impossible in this city even though they copied and pasted alot of it. That was all put into montion by city hall, think about the timing, a contraversial legislation is passed and pushed thru right at the exact time that the mayor was looking to borrow $44,000,000? What had the most news coverage on tv or paper? The smoking ban! Not the $44,000,000 that he was trying to borrow or the facts that he was trying to borrow close to $27,000,000 more than he actually needed!!! Smoke and mirrors my friends that is all that it was, they knew that it was illegal and they knew that it would be stricken down sooner or later and if it went to court then the cities lawyers and the firms that would have been hired would be making the cash as well. Think about how many times they have appealed the union arbitrations for the police and firemen, 7 times and all the while the lawyers are getting paid and alot at that. This admin is not afraid to go to court because their friends all get paid. I think that a state wide smoking ban is the way to go and it should left up to the state. McGinty's, Waldos those among a few others all had the excemptions and were smoking bars. Casper although I do like your zeil you must know that the BARS is this town did not suffer and they did not lose the money, the money was lost in the places like Mother's Table and Farleys, O Saka, Jilly's, Southside Lanes, those are the places that took the beating.........Paul I am sorry that you missed the party we had hundred+ for the day with the last stragglers going home at around Midnight. Now to say that someone speaks out at council whether you like what they have to say or not failed at their lives is wrong and I think you know that, you are young and life is not always easy and you know that but a person's success in life is measured by them alone, no one elses opinion matters as long as they are happy or proud of their lives. I agree with what you say about how yes some do not point out the good in the city but thats where your living and growing up outside of the city is coming into play, I like McDadae Park and I like Nay Aug (although I do not feel that its worth the $6,500,000 price tag that the mayor slapped on us), I like all the other attractions we have but after I went and did them all for 20x's they wore off on me. I know that they are there and I do not need someone to point them out to me. The wage tax, our wage tax is the highest in the state? What do we get for that one? The school taxes are enough then they want to take a wage tax like that and what do we as a city really get for it? Our police dept has been cut and they have not had a raise in 6 years or a contract, the fire dept has been cut and they have not had a raise in 6 years, our DPW was cut, our sewer bills are going to be thru the roof over this EPA project that they told them that they had to do 20 years ago. So what do we get in return for the highest wage tax in the state? A neighborhood is not enough and it is not worth that much of tax when the neighborhoods in the city are being let go to sh&*. this admin has turned this city upside down and they have shaken every last penny from our pockets and we have got NOTHING in return for one dime of it, nothing, nadda, so if they want to speak out then I say raise your voice and raise them loud because as one or two complaining from hone we will never affect change but as a whole as one we can turn our city around.
That being said, lets talk about your wonderful downtown projects, you do realize that they funding is not there, right? I have told you time and time again, the mayor has been cut off at the state level because of his fiancial baggage and we are broke at the local level, so there is no money! Jefferson Point and the St. Pete's projects are being built by the same developer, Jerry Joyce who is a contributor and a friend of the mayor. These projects were undoubtly put forth by Mr. Joyce with the help of the mayor has a quid pro quo for his assistance in the campaigns. You know hey lets try and get my projects done here in the city, you'll be the mayor who has developed the downtown and I'll make money, kind of scenario. I personally do feel that the Jefferson Point will ever happen or the 6th ave projects. I do feel that the Connell Building will happen and it will go over budget and we the city will lose alot of money like we did on the Hilton and the Southern Union buildings. The mayor has just stated on 8/12 that the $35,000,000 bond that council passed was for the Connell Building project, when they passed it they passed it as legislation for two garages and to clear the SPA existing debt. Where did it get moved for the project? Why was it pushed thru before the summer break? When did two parking garages cost that much and why do we need to build two garages? Wait here is a update for you Southern Union has 100 underground spaces, I'll bet you did not know that, why did the mayor say that we needed to build this new garage in case we get a tenant? Why can't we find someone for that building? There are just tooo many questions but the biggest problem of all is the no one is asking them or at least not enough people are asking them. Paul, CHS89 do you not care where the money is going? If you were going to pay higher taxes wouldn't and shouldn't you know why? Why is it so wrong to ask these questions? Paul why do you take these fools at face value, why does anyone, the beauty of this country and this city is that we can ask questions and we should demand the answers instead we just let them keep taking and taking more for what, What have they done for us lately?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 PM

37 posts, read 94,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
After poring over the entirety of this thread, I've come to realize that Scranton's own worst enemy is its own residents. Why can't anyone say even ONE nice thing about the city on this forum? The reason all of the new transplants are flocking to newer subdivisions in The Abingtons, North Pocono, Moosic, Mid-Valley, and Greater Pittston as opposed to the city proper isn't because they all automatically have a vendetta against the city---it's because they've read nothing but negative after negative after negative about the city. I truly wish everyone who thought Scranton was sinking faster than the Titanic would either be like Dan and actually DEMAND improvements or just move to the suburbs like all of the other "quitters." In my humble opinion, Scranton is a city worth saving.

It would be well worth wading through political chaos and paying the wage tax in order to live in a true neighborhood, which is something you don't find in our "slap 'em up quick" housing developments. If you don't believe me, then refer to FivePointsGolf, a new resident of Sand Springs, in the Hazleton suburb of Butler Township. Instead of banding together as a neighborhood to fight for their rights, he's pretty much going it alone to bring improvements to his subdivisions while most of his other neighbors don't care about his water runoff issues because it doesn't affect them personally. Then you have a well-established community like Lower Green Ridge where not everyone floods or hacks up a lung from Daron Northeast, yet everyone still bands together and rallies behind their neighbors. I never got that sense of "community" here in the rapidly-explanding blob they call Greater Pittston, which is why I'll put up with anything in order to experience that in Scranton.

I can envision moving to either Hyde Park or the Lower Hill in the future and throwing monthly get-togethers in my backyard for the neighbors, perhaps culminating in an annual block party like Lower Green Ridge has (that I unfortunately couldn't attend due to my work schedule). I seek a community where people sit on their front porches and wave to you as you pass by while pushing a stroller, unlike my subdivision where I drive by people and wave to them in their driveways only to have them turn the other way and ignore me. I want a place where if my house burned down in the middle of the night, the neighbors would rush over with blankets, towels, and embraces, offer to temporarily house my dog, call my cell phone daily to make sure me and my family are okay at the motel, etc. You don't get that where I live now. It's just cold, sterile, standoff-ish, and "keeping up with the Jones's" at its finest here in suburbia, and I don't want to raise my children in this living hell. Member New2PA is happy she moved to a close-knit neighborhood in Dunmore where her neighbors embraced her family and are already discussing a block party. That wouldn't happen here in suburbia.

While all you people do is whine, *****, and kvetch about how "awful" it is to pay your "high" city taxes (which are in-line with the rest of the region), send your children to "awful" public schools (which actually fare better than some suburban school districts, as ConorsDad will tell you in regards to Valley View), walk around in your "downtown full of empty promises" (which, in my opinion, is the second-nicest downtown in PA for a medium-sized city behind Bethlehem), lock your doors at night to avoid the "high crime" (even though Scranton is among the safest cities in PA), etc., I just shake my head in disgust. It's people like me who attract new residents to Scranton to increase our tax base and breathe new life into the city with my photo tours, positive energy, and attitude of looking at things as what "can be" instead of what "ought to be." It's people like most of you on this forum that are scaring them back to the suburbs with how you do nothing but *****, *****, *****. It's people like the folks on DohertyDeceit who scare people away when all they do is *****, *****, *****. It's people like Fay Franus, Ray Lyman, etc. who scare away people when all they do is *****, *****, *****.

You know what? I'm not asking anyone to "sugarcoat" anything. Dan tells things like they are in the city. However, I'm truly tiring of being the only one on this forum who can say even one God-damned NICE thing about the city without having to preface it with "The city is a dump, but..." or "..., but the city is a dump." Instead of dwelling upon the inept politicians, red ink, and potholes, why don't more of you celebrate the growing urbane arts/cultural scene here (First Fridays, Everhart After Dark, Cocktails in the City, Scranton Cultural Center, etc.), the increasing tourist traffic associated with "The Office", the many festivals, block parties, bazaars, etc. that make our city unique, the (mostly) friendly, helpful people, the upcoming medical school, 500-block of Lackawanna Avenue, Connell Building, Jefferson Pointe, St. Peter's Square, Sixth Avenue, etc. that will help to revitalize the downtown, our lush green mountains, our great city parks like McDade and Nay Aug, etc.? Being a "realist" doesn't mean you have to turn a blind eye to the GOOD things around you. People accuse me of wearing rose-colored glasses. You know why? I HAVE TO! At least one person has to have faith in the city in order for it to recover. At least one person has to find a silver lining in the smiling face of a child in a wheelchair at the new treehouse or covered bridge at Nay Aug Park as opposed to being like the rest of you Scrooges who would push them over if it meant you could somehow get a tax deduction. At least one person has to give those lurking on this forum in search of a new home in NEPA reasons to move to Scranton and boost its tax base as opposed to just destroying more of our open space in the suburbs (and hurting Scranton in the long-run in terms of more flooding runoff concerns and a lost opportunity to gain another tax-paying family to balance its budget).

The key to revitalizing Scranton is to attract new residents to the city. I'm doing that (quite successfully may I add). People like Joe Pilchesky, Fay Franus, Ray Lyman, etc. are simply negating anything I say about this city having a future because they're all miserable that they were failures in lives themselves and can only feel better about themselves when they're dragging the entire city's outside image down. Do you folks realize that TENS OF THOUSANDS have now viewed Scranton's city council meetings on YouTube and that these same people all probably now think the city is an armpit as a result? It's not "funny" at all to have to sit back and watch people left and right avoiding moving to the city in favor of suburbs like my own simply because of the "hearsay" many on this forum and DohertyDeceit have spouted forth about Scranton being the second-coming of hell. Scranton is my dream city, and I refuse to let the naysayers get to me. I'll gladly take the city, flaws and all, because unlike most others I think its POSITIVES outweigh its NEGATIVES.
Im sorry..but...bahahahahahahahah. That is the funniest load of **** i have ever heard. Scranton is and will always be a steaming stinking load of ****. Scranton is lead by a leader that spends money we dont even have. but who should pay for the projects, ehh..the taxpayers. as if our taxes were not high enough.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Well where do I get started, I guess that since I have been putting my new roof on for the last three days I have missed alot. Lets start with the smoking ban, first I'll start by saying that I do not smoke but I also do not care who smokes either. The Scranton ban was illegal and it was from the get go, but what you all are missing is the real reason behind all of this. Do not think that for one minute that our council of idiots came up with this themselves and do not think that the kids are or were resopnsible for this either. That went from idea to legislation in a month, a month, to write that kind of legislation in a month is almost impossible in this city even though they copied and pasted alot of it. That was all put into montion by city hall, think about the timing, a contraversial legislation is passed and pushed thru right at the exact time that the mayor was looking to borrow $44,000,000? What had the most news coverage on tv or paper? The smoking ban! Not the $44,000,000 that he was trying to borrow or the facts that he was trying to borrow close to $27,000,000 more than he actually needed!!! Smoke and mirrors my friends that is all that it was, they knew that it was illegal and they knew that it would be stricken down sooner or later and if it went to court then the cities lawyers and the firms that would have been hired would be making the cash as well. Think about how many times they have appealed the union arbitrations for the police and firemen, 7 times and all the while the lawyers are getting paid and alot at that. This admin is not afraid to go to court because their friends all get paid. I think that a state wide smoking ban is the way to go and it should left up to the state. McGinty's, Waldos those among a few others all had the excemptions and were smoking bars. Casper although I do like your zeil you must know that the BARS is this town did not suffer and they did not lose the money, the money was lost in the places like Mother's Table and Farleys, O Saka, Jilly's, Southside Lanes, those are the places that took the beating.........Paul I am sorry that you missed the party we had hundred+ for the day with the last stragglers going home at around Midnight. Now to say that someone speaks out at council whether you like what they have to say or not failed at their lives is wrong and I think you know that, you are young and life is not always easy and you know that but a person's success in life is measured by them alone, no one elses opinion matters as long as they are happy or proud of their lives. I agree with what you say about how yes some do not point out the good in the city but thats where your living and growing up outside of the city is coming into play, I like McDadae Park and I like Nay Aug (although I do not feel that its worth the $6,500,000 price tag that the mayor slapped on us), I like all the other attractions we have but after I went and did them all for 20x's they wore off on me. I know that they are there and I do not need someone to point them out to me. The wage tax, our wage tax is the highest in the state? What do we get for that one? The school taxes are enough then they want to take a wage tax like that and what do we as a city really get for it? Our police dept has been cut and they have not had a raise in 6 years or a contract, the fire dept has been cut and they have not had a raise in 6 years, our DPW was cut, our sewer bills are going to be thru the roof over this EPA project that they told them that they had to do 20 years ago. So what do we get in return for the highest wage tax in the state? A neighborhood is not enough and it is not worth that much of tax when the neighborhoods in the city are being let go to sh&*. this admin has turned this city upside down and they have shaken every last penny from our pockets and we have got NOTHING in return for one dime of it, nothing, nadda, so if they want to speak out then I say raise your voice and raise them loud because as one or two complaining from hone we will never affect change but as a whole as one we can turn our city around.
That being said, lets talk about your wonderful downtown projects, you do realize that they funding is not there, right? I have told you time and time again, the mayor has been cut off at the state level because of his fiancial baggage and we are broke at the local level, so there is no money! Jefferson Point and the St. Pete's projects are being built by the same developer, Jerry Joyce who is a contributor and a friend of the mayor. These projects were undoubtly put forth by Mr. Joyce with the help of the mayor has a quid pro quo for his assistance in the campaigns. You know hey lets try and get my projects done here in the city, you'll be the mayor who has developed the downtown and I'll make money, kind of scenario. I personally do feel that the Jefferson Point will ever happen or the 6th ave projects. I do feel that the Connell Building will happen and it will go over budget and we the city will lose alot of money like we did on the Hilton and the Southern Union buildings. The mayor has just stated on 8/12 that the $35,000,000 bond that council passed was for the Connell Building project, when they passed it they passed it as legislation for two garages and to clear the SPA existing debt. Where did it get moved for the project? Why was it pushed thru before the summer break? When did two parking garages cost that much and why do we need to build two garages? Wait here is a update for you Southern Union has 100 underground spaces, I'll bet you did not know that, why did the mayor say that we needed to build this new garage in case we get a tenant? Why can't we find someone for that building? There are just tooo many questions but the biggest problem of all is the no one is asking them or at least not enough people are asking them. Paul, CHS89 do you not care where the money is going? If you were going to pay higher taxes wouldn't and shouldn't you know why? Why is it so wrong to ask these questions? Paul why do you take these fools at face value, why does anyone, the beauty of this country and this city is that we can ask questions and we should demand the answers instead we just let them keep taking and taking more for what, What have they done for us lately?
I could not agree with you anymore. Debt is what is killing scranton and the disease is known as Doherty. Lets knock this punk out in 2009!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Im sorry..but...bahahahahahahahah. That is the funniest load of **** i have ever heard. Scranton is and will always be a steaming stinking load of ****. Scranton is lead by a leader that spends money we dont even have. but who should pay for the projects, ehh..the taxpayers. as if our taxes were not high enough.
Then what are you doing still living in Scranton and dragging down everyone with even a shred of hope for the city with your negativity? Scranton has enough naysayers residing within its boundaries---we need more optimism! Feel free to move here to "trendy" Pittston Township, where tonight's monthly supervisory meeting consisted of heated sprawl-related rants about worsening traffic congestion on Oak Street and The 315, flooding issues in areas that had never experienced it before, air quality reports, lack of police patrols, allegations of political ineptness, etc. You Scrantonians think the grass is so much greener here in suburbia. Well then come experience it for yourself! Just wait another 2-4 years when the new mall, Home Depot, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Center Point Commerce Park, etc. are all completed. This entire township is going to be one hellish parking lot, and I'm hoping to be out of here and into Scranton by then.

I was just on the NJ forum poring over a thread in which people were looking for "walkable" non-suburban communities in NJ, and one member provided a link that rates your home address on its overall "walkability." My subdivision was rated as a 6 out of 100. Truly awful! Why do you think I want to move to the city so badly? I'm curious to hear the results of the air quality reports. Even though they're being conducted in a location in the township that is several miles away from my own home, I know they won't be all that great, especially considering the coughing fit I had a few weeks ago during one of my runs when diesel exhaust fumes wafting through the air along The 315 left me coughing so severely that I threw up my Propel all over the pavement for the second time since we've been living here.

If you think suburbia is so cushy and happy-go-lucky, then move here. The only condition is that you can't kvetch and gripe about the traffic, pollution, lack of police patrols, absence of recycling collection, political ineptness, etc. here.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 PM

Dan, while I agree my comments about some of the council speakers may have been a bit harsh, I have also yet to meet one person with one kind thing to say about Ray Lyman or Fay Franus. If there was a council meeting being held on Christmas morning, Fay would probably be there to give Judy a stocking full of coal dust and a gift box with a dead animal inside with "corruption" carved across its chest because she presents herself in such a mean-spirited, nasty manner (it makes me wonder at times if she wasn't one of Judy's scorned secret lesbian lovers?) You approach the podium with great things to bring to the meetings, as do half of the other regulars. It was great when you had the city's zoning regulations book in your hand with all of Daron's violations pointed out---each and every member on council could have very easily done the same if they weren't so inept. I'm especially taken aback by the passion that Reverend Simmons exhudes when she approaches the podium. She seems to deeply care about the people of Florence-Midtown and is concerned for the mayor's ultimate "plans" for them in the upcoming years as gentrifcation continues to press onward downtown. Ray gets my sympathy for being mentally-challenged (or at least putting on the act of being in such a condition), and I should not be so harsh on him as a result. However, whoever put his rants onto YouTube should be ashamed to call themselves fellow Scrantonians for showcasing our city in a negative light to tens of thousands of people thus far.

Perhaps using the word "failure" WAS a bit rude of me, and I sincerely apologize. I just see far too many instances of some city residents faulting the city for their own economic hardships that were not caused by anybody other than themselves. For example, I still don't understand Nancy Craig and Andy Spiraglia's never-ending crusades against the "Draconian Measures" implemented by city council and why Andy feels the need to continually read off that boring checklist at every meeting while he gloats as if to say "Gotcha" to council. If you don't pay your taxes, then you DESERVE to face some sort of punishment! This is a rare circumstance that I agree with council's decision. Why should the rest of the city's taxpayers have to shoulder the burden of deadbeat people who are trying to avoid Uncle Sam? Many, many other cities also levy fines upon people who refuse to pay their property taxes, so I fail to see what makes Scranton so "different" in that department. If you can't afford to pay your taxes you have two options. You can either increase your income (obtain a second job) or reduce your expenditures (downsize your home, quit smoking, go out to eat less often, turn back the A/C, etc.) If anything, Scranton is VERY "lax" in this department because as has been stated, nobody in recent years has lost their home to the city of Scranton for delinquent taxes. The same can't be said for many other cities.

In defense of Judy, I also remember attending one meeting (the one when the Harrisburg city council president was there) in which one resident (might have even been Fay Franus) confronted Judy about the city's tax increase. She retorted with "actually most of the mayors I spoke with were amazed it's been 12 years since we had our last tax increase." (or something quite similar to that). Look at the Pittston Area School District, which raises its already exorbitant taxes significantly every year before you start pointing fingers at the city for raising its portion of the property taxes for the first time in over a decade. I believe the arguments that you make, Dan, revolve around enduring this tax increase with nothing to show for it. I beg to differ. Do you not remember the 1990s when Scranton was rated as runner-up for "Armpit of America?" (falling short to Battle Mountain, NV). Do you remember earlier this year when Philadelphia Magazine was quoted as calling Scranton a "hip" city, when Money Magazine ranked Scranton as having the nation's fourth-hottest real estate market, when the New York Times investigated Scranton becoming "Hollywood East", when other publications championed Scranton as becoming "Wall Street West", etc.? Scranton never received positive press during the 1990s, but now it seems to be flying at us left and right. What do you, as a taxpayer, get as a result? A larger return-on-investment (ROI) on your home, as real estate prices in the city have spiked in the past decade. Don't believe me? Compare the housing prices in the city in the mid-1990s to what they are today. You'd be shocked at how much more your home is worth now. You used to be able to find TRUE bargains back in 1995. Today those are few and far between in the city. You might have to fork over an extra $100 per year in terms of taxes for the first time in 12 years, but who cares if your home's value appreciated $50,000 during roughly that same timeframe? In the meantime, Wilkes-Barre continues to be a laggard in the home value department due to a reputation that has only begun to rebound in the past year or two. A city's perceived image (not necessarily its TRUE colors) means everything, Dan. You might not think Scranton is hip, trendy, or a real estate hot-spot, but others read all of these rave reviews and think differently. Your home, to you, might only be worth $90,000, but to an outsider thinking Scranton is on the verge of a major revival, it might be worth $130,000!

For what it's worth, Dan, I have yet to talk to a first-time visitor to Scranton who hasn't given it rave reviews based on their initial perception. This includes a friend of mine from Cincinnati who was thrilled to see so much well-kept historic architecture in Scranton's neighborhoods, a friend from here in Pittston who had rarely been to Scranton and was thrilled to see so many trendy restaurants downtown, a woman and her daughter from here on City-Data who enjoyed their visit from Harrisburg to go on an "Office" hunt of sorts, the mayors who visited our city for the recent conference, and many, many others. Scranton is starting to get a lot of "hype," and I'm not the only one who is doing it (well, I suppose on this forum I am). Then again, Dan, pictures don't lie. I have yet to meet one person who wasn't blown away by how beautiful Scranton's neighborhooods are (including yours truly). Many on this forum live in the Sunbelt, where cookie-cutter housing is the name of the game. When they see images of Victorian homes, well-kept downtown brick buildings, etc. they are truly impressed. If my photo tours have inspired at least one person to move to Scranton (and apparently my Hill Section tour helped ScrantonVideoProductions, or Chris, and his wife to buy their home), then I think that's a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with having hope and dreams, Dan. Call me naive, young, short-sighted, or anything you wish, but I suppose I have yet to turn 35 and become jaded, suspicious, and cynical about anything that gets promised to me by our government. The projects in Downtown Scranton may all come to fruition or may all turn out to be utter failures. Either way it's nice that they have people talking about the city's future again. One thing you have to give Doherty credit for is that while he spends money like a gay man in a Vera Bradley store (which he very may well be in his "secret" life), he is managing to bring a lot of recognition and "awareness" to the city. Sure, Nay Aug Park might be poorly-maintained (and I agree), but I have yet to talk to one person (besides you) who thinks that the poor maintenance overshadows the other positive attributes the park has to offer. I've now been all over every squre inch of Nay Aug. I've shared a romantic kiss there. I've brought out-of-town friends there to show them the beauty of OUR city (Yes, I consider my hometown to be Scranton, regardless of the fact that I don't pay Scranton's taxes, since Pittston Township is just an endless cul-de-sac that serves no purpose). I've donated to the Genesis Wildlife Center. I've mellowed out to last year's Scranton Jazz Festival. A few weeks ago I saw a teenager in a wheelchair scoping out the new treehouse. Last August I attended one of the free Sunday concerts where I saw one of my high school teachers pushing around her smiling mother in a wheelchair. An image like that truly can't have a tax-dollar price tag attached to it.

Dan, I don't want things to turn "South" between you and me again, so I'm not going to get too involved in an argument. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. As an aspiring accountant, I know that Doherty has fiscally-mismanaged this city into a devastating hole of red ink. That's inexcusable, and he SHOULD be held accountable for it on Election Day. However, I also know that there has never been another point during my brief twenty years on this Earth that so many people have been so proud to call the city home. The people you speak with who think the city is sinking like the Titanic and needs to be nuked are a small microchasm of residents. Philadelphia has a murder per day. New York City is a sitting duck for the next terrorist attack. If Scranton's worst problems are an inept government, urban sprawl, and potholes, then I don't think we're in such a bad state of affairs. You can't easily fix gang warfare or Muslim extremists flying planes into skyscrapers. You CAN easily fix government (Election Day), sprawl (Smart Growth policies), and potholes (patch). You can also easily fix $300,000,000 in debt---a TRUE mayor (which Doherty apparently is not) would forfeit his salary and encourage his council counterparts, all of whom are upper-middle-class college-educated professionals, to do the same. He'd also dramatically slash administrative positions and cut salaries of those remaining by 5% or so until the budget is balanced. He'd consider benign short-term expenditures that would result in massive long-term savings, such as converting all city light bulbs to ultra-efficient CFLs or switching all city vehicles over to more fuel-efficient models as they require replacement (I'm thinking of Honda Civic Hybrid police cars instead of Chevy Impalas, which are probably comparable in price anyways). He'd consider other ways to be frugal, including requiring all city printer ink cartridges be refilled instead of being replaced, cutting back on city employee overtime whenever possible, and cutting back on the heating and A/C in city facilities and urging people to dress appropriately for the conditions. After he's done slashing expenditures everywhere possible, then it's time to go after delinquent taxable properties and collect on those. He could then pursue new taxes that would attempt to shift some of the burden for city services onto suburbanites, such as an amusement tax, a commuter student tax, and/or a 1% city sales tax, all of which would require those who live outside of the city but still benefit from it to help chip in financially. After all possible expenditures have been reduced and all possible sources of income have been explored, a modest city tax increase might STILL have to be imposed to balance the budget (which you'd probably agree with).

In any event, I don't quite honestly think Scranton is quite as bleak as most portray it to be. I can't wait to be living in the city in 2009 when I can become an integral part of its recovery.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 08-20-2007 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-21-2007, 05:28 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:

If this city is such a stinking load of %^&% according to you, then feel free to leave.

Some people just confuse me. If its so stinking bad here, then you have two choices: Either do something about it, or LEAVE. To sit and **** and moan on a message board accomplishes nothing, and makes you look dumb, believe it or not.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:42 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
The reasons in Dan's post are the reasons a lot of people in the city are fed up and leaving Scranton in droves. We don't say nice things about the city because they isn't much nice to say. Now, this might change when a new administration gets here and steers Scranton back on the right track. I'm not saying Janet Evans is the answer, but we need new blood in there to right the wrongs Doherty has created. Doherty is trying to make Scranton into something it is not. He should just concentrate on what Scranton is and stop trying to make it into Chelsea or Greenwich Village West. Paul, I'm not being condesending when I say this, but you have some good ideas and maybe one day you could run for mayor. But right now Scranton doesn't have much of a future with the current administration in place. Put some new blood in there, then I will become more optimistic.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Then what are you doing still living in Scranton and dragging down everyone with even a shred of hope for the city with your negativity? Scranton has enough naysayers residing within its boundaries---we need more optimism! Feel free to move here to "trendy" Pittston Township, where tonight's monthly supervisory meeting consisted of heated sprawl-related rants about worsening traffic congestion on Oak Street and The 315, flooding issues in areas that had never experienced it before, air quality reports, lack of police patrols, allegations of political ineptness, etc. You Scrantonians think the grass is so much greener here in suburbia. Well then come experience it for yourself! Just wait another 2-4 years when the new mall, Home Depot, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Center Point Commerce Park, etc. are all completed. This entire township is going to be one hellish parking lot, and I'm hoping to be out of here and into Scranton by then.

I was just on the NJ forum poring over a thread in which people were looking for "walkable" non-suburban communities in NJ, and one member provided a link that rates your home address on its overall "walkability." My subdivision was rated as a 6 out of 100. Truly awful! Why do you think I want to move to the city so badly? I'm curious to hear the results of the air quality reports. Even though they're being conducted in a location in the township that is several miles away from my own home, I know they won't be all that great, especially considering the coughing fit I had a few weeks ago during one of my runs when diesel exhaust fumes wafting through the air along The 315 left me coughing so severely that I threw up my Propel all over the pavement for the second time since we've been living here.

If you think suburbia is so cushy and happy-go-lucky, then move here. The only condition is that you can't kvetch and gripe about the traffic, pollution, lack of police patrols, absence of recycling collection, political ineptness, etc. here.
If scranton ever recovers..which i doubt. It would be because of three businesses.
1. Hard rock cafe
2. amusement park
3. New zoo

All three would be soooo beneficial to the area..but all have been ignored.
Infact, Doherty didnt want either in the area. hence why he worried about nayaug and not the zoo. Hard rock wanted to come to the area but instead doherty took a deal on brannigans. as for the park, That is just a dream to me. We all know that wont happen. But hey..who said i couldnt dream?.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
If scranton ever recovers..which i doubt. It would be because of three businesses.
1. Hard rock cafe
2. amusement park
3. New zoo

All three would be soooo beneficial to the area..but all have been ignored.
Infact, Doherty didnt want either in the area. hence why he worried about nayaug and not the zoo. Hard rock wanted to come to the area but instead doherty took a deal on brannigans. as for the park, That is just a dream to me. We all know that wont happen. But hey..who said i couldnt dream?.

1.) I highly-doubt that the Hard Rock Cafe ever considered Scranton for a new franchise. They would have considered a more populous MSA first in PA, such as Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton or Harrisburg. Even then, those areas are too small to attract their own Hard Rock Cafe (unless one comes to the huge new BethWorks Casino complex in Bethlehem). Hard Rock typically only locates in major cities or in major touristy areas (Key West, Foxwoods, etc.) As such, they still don't have locations in cities much larger than Scranton, including Jacksonville, Providence, Cincinnati, Columbus, Anchorage, Austin, Tulsa, Buffalo, etc. Why then would they opt to locate in a city of 70,000 that can barely even sustain a basic gourmet dog bakery, much less an overpriced touristy restaurant chain? That was probably just another anti-Doherty rumor conjured up by the malcontents. Are you sure you aren't confusing Hard Rock with Dave & Buster's, which would make a lot more sense?

2.) Scranton did have an amusement park of sorts not too long ago. Remember Slocum Hollow along North Main Avenue? I enjoyed going there, but there were never large crowds there---the city's residents never supported it in the same way they support places like Lahey's. As such, it is not being razed for yet another...yawn...car dealership. While people in Scranton claim to not have enough money to pay their taxes, they certainly do have a passion for buying late-model sedans and SUVs, as I've seen all over the roadways there.

3.) Scranton doesn't need a new zoo. They need to first enhance the existing Genesis Wildlife Center (which I'll agree Doherty has certainly neglected). Maybe once a new mayor is in office we'll see that Nay Aug Zoo expanded and better-funded, but until that time we'll just have to be content with what we have.

I personally think a downtown Barnes & Noble (which does not yet exist in the Scranton area), would do wonders for the city. It could be utilized as a joint college bookstore for Marywood, Lackawanna, University of Scranton, Johnson, and PSU/Worthington in order to lure students downtown to purchase their books (and hopefully linger in the city). Wilkes-Barre's downtown Barnes & Noble is doing quite well---the surrounding areas are starting to bounce back rather nicely, especially as you get closer to the new theater. For the life of me I still can't understand how Wilkes-Barre can support TWO Barnes & Nobles, yet Scranton still doesn't even have one? Ultimately I'd like to see the former Tudor Bookstore & Cafe in Clarks Summit resurrected downtown somewhere, but I realize that a chain like Barnes & Noble would be a larger draw to help spur more foot traffic downtown. Why isn't Doherty pursuing this idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania