Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,712,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I'd look into his military record more. He was more than a pilot.
We are all well aware of Sen. McCain's unparalleled bravado, and we should be forever grateful for his servitude to our nation. When he was a prisoner of war, he had the opportunity to have some strings pulled to be rescued earlier than some of his co-patriots, but he deferred in order to uphold military integrity of being released from imprisonment in the order in which you were detained. That says a lot about his character and moral judgment, in my humble opinion.

However, I want to learn more about Sen. McCain than just having him curl into a shell like a tortoise hiding behind the "Prisoner of War" dance whenever he's cornered on something he doesn't feel comfortable discussing. I believe it was a week or two ago when a late-night talk show host made light of him not knowing how many homes he owned, and he became very defensive by bringing up his military record again. You know I do nice things all the time for other people too. Should I flaunt that? Should that excuse me from having to face tough decisions? A true hero(ine) doesn't gloat and brag incessantly about his or her accomplishments. Sen. McCain would potentially garner my vote if he didn't turn me off so much with he and his supporters referencing his stint in the military as if that and that alone "qualifies" him to be president. Explain to me how having a good heart prepares you to tackle seven years of mismanagement by the most unpopular American president in modern U.S. History (perhaps save for Nixon). I just returned from a half-marathon-equitable run. Does that mean I'm an expert in pottery? No. Military service and economic expertise (which is the major concern right now with our impending recession) are unrelated.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM

703 posts, read 1,548,968 times
Quote:
I'd look into his military record more. He was more than a pilot.
We're talking about what military experience gives him executive experience. The fact that he was "more than a pilot" doesn't give him that.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
We're talking about what military experience gives him executive experience. The fact that he was "more than a pilot" doesn't give him that.
Oh okay. I guess you didn't look into his Navy career.

BY the way, you said McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time. I'd retake social studies class because that isn't how our government works.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
We are all well aware of Sen. McCain's unparalleled bravado, and we should be forever grateful for his servitude to our nation. When he was a prisoner of war, he had the opportunity to have some strings pulled to be rescued earlier than some of his co-patriots, but he deferred in order to uphold military integrity of being released from imprisonment in the order in which you were detained. That says a lot about his character and moral judgment, in my humble opinion.

However, I want to learn more about Sen. McCain than just having him curl into a shell like a tortoise hiding behind the "Prisoner of War" dance whenever he's cornered on something he doesn't feel comfortable discussing. I believe it was a week or two ago when a late-night talk show host made light of him not knowing how many homes he owned, and he became very defensive by bringing up his military record again. You know I do nice things all the time for other people too. Should I flaunt that? Should that excuse me from having to face tough decisions? A true hero(ine) doesn't gloat and brag incessantly about his or her accomplishments. Sen. McCain would potentially garner my vote if he didn't turn me off so much with he and his supporters referencing his stint in the military as if that and that alone "qualifies" him to be president. Explain to me how having a good heart prepares you to tackle seven years of mismanagement by the most unpopular American president in modern U.S. History (perhaps save for Nixon). I just returned from a half-marathon-equitable run. Does that mean I'm an expert in pottery? No. Military service and economic expertise (which is the major concern right now with our impending recession) are unrelated.
1. The house issue is old hat which went nowhere. I watched the Jay Leno show when he was on and the context he was putting it in was hey for a long time I didn't have anything and now I've made a nice life for myself and I live comfortably. I watched it and I don't think he was defensive at all. He was telling it like it is. Personally, other than vetting him for the presidency in regards to financial scandals it's really no ones business what he has. Did you know for instance John Kerry and wife have 8 homes?

I've listed to McCain for a long, long, time and I've never seen him overtly use his POW experience for political gain. However it is a significant part of his life and it says a lot about the man, so if it's mentioned I don't see the problem. Certainly I'm glad people have been open about it compared to Obama desperately trying to cover his relationship with radical America haters such as Rev. Wright and William Ayres.

Cindy McCain's dad is an example of what is possible in America. He scraped together $10k and built a business of which many people profited with jobs and services/goods from(trickle down economics). They've been successful as a family and should be applauded rather than demonized. They've used their success for philanthropy as well.

People told us back with Clinton that having a moral compass isn't important, it's the issues. We ended up with an impeached president and 2 terms FILLED with endless scandals and foreign relations disasters(not taking bin laden from the sudan when offered, north korea jimmy carter debacle, the balkan wars, somalia, rwanda, iraq, israel and the plo, etc.). The best part though he abandoned his own party and signed most of the republican "Contract with America" fueling economic growth.

Go back and look at Clintons approval ratings. He didn't fair much better than Bush. If you examine the numbers you'll find the economy was heading into a recession as Clinton ended his time in office. After the Bush tax cuts and the effects of 9/11, from late 2002 to 2007 we had uninterrupted economic growth. Hardly the pain and agony so depicted by the drive by media. The numbers are out there on the net so research it further if interested.

2. The impending recession? Doesn't appear to be the case as in each successive quarter since last year, the economy has grown. The drive by media has desperately tried to impart fear and drive us into a recession and it has not happened yet and if anything, the economy improves. I believe at the moment we have a 3.3% annualized increase in the GDP for the year.

3. People concerned about McCain and being able on the economic front? Well I would ask people to name one executive decision or one bill Obama authored or co authored, got though a committee and then signed into law in the state legislature or his 140 days in the Senate that had a direct bearing on the economy? What economic experience does Obama have to steer the economy any better than McCain? Make your case.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Oh okay. I guess you didn't look into his Navy career.
Was there something in his military record to show executive experience?

I didn't see anything.

Cut out the drama and just tell us.

Quote:
BY the way, you said McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time. I'd retake social studies class because that isn't how our government works.

I wouldn't be so quick to deal out petty insults.

The 90% figure is from a Congressional Quarterly study tabulating the percentage of roll call votes on which McCain sided with Bush's position during Bush's presidency.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Was there something in his military record to show executive experience?

I didn't see anything.

Cut out the drama and just tell us.

I wouldn't be so quick to deal out petty insults.

The 90% figure is from a Congressional Quarterly study tabulating the percentage of roll call votes on which McCain sided with Bush's position during Bush's presidency.
Talking about insults, you called me a racist last night which is a pretty low thing to say considering you neither know me nor my background.

No I'm not going to bother reciting Mr. McCains career for you. The info is there if you choose to look it up. I just found it in a 5 second search on the internet.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Talking about insults, you called me a racist last night which is a pretty low thing to say considering you neither know me nor my background.
You're not racist.

Your arguments, comments, etc can be racist at times. That's not a comment on the person; it's a comment on the argument, comment, etc. One is a personal attack; the other is not.

Quote:
No I'm not going to bother reciting Mr. McCains career for you. The info is there if you choose to look it up. I just found it in a 5 second search on the internet.
I don't want you to recite McCain's career for me.

I'm just interested in what part of his military service qualifies as "executive experience." I'm genuinely baffled.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You're not racist.

Your arguments, comments, etc can be racist at times. That's not a comment on the person; it's a comment on the argument, comment, etc. One is a personal attack; the other is not.
That's beyond absurd and not worthy of any further comment.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,992,589 times
So, whats the buzz on the RNC with you folks. Wanaroo is standing firm as a supporter of the conservatives while the Commish is lobbying strongly for Obama. Phils seems to be running down the middle with a vote for Santa Claus.

All singular issues aside, what do you feel about this convention as a whole, Hurricanes(God telling something! jk) and all.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 PM

The most destructive part of the convention is Hurricane Palin.

What a disaster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania