Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
If scranton ever recovers..which i doubt. It would be because of three businesses.
1. Hard rock cafe
2. amusement park
3. New zoo

All three would be soooo beneficial to the area..but all have been ignored.
Infact, Doherty didnt want either in the area. hence why he worried about nayaug and not the zoo. Hard rock wanted to come to the area but instead doherty took a deal on brannigans. as for the park, That is just a dream to me. We all know that wont happen. But hey..who said i couldnt dream?.
The Hard Rock Cafe? Are you kidding? Their food is horrible and overpriced. Its a tourist trap, nothing more. An amusement park would be nice...but why would that be the city government's responsibility to start an amusement park? That would be up to a private businessman to start an amusement park...or even a zoo for that matter.
That's one of the problems in Scranton. People are lazy and expect the government to hand them EVERYTHING! Its not government's job to start up amusement parks, concert venues, etc etc etc. Maybe if the government (especially the county) could get out of the entertainment business, we could get our taxes lowered. But the problem is people like the regular council speakers who keep screaming for lower taxes, yet at the same time scream for the city government to come over and wipe their arses and do their laundry and feed their cats for them. It doesn't make sense.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It doesn't make sense.
Of course it does. People in Scranton expect nothing but top-notch municipal services, a full array of entertainment/recreational venues at their disposal, etc., yet they don't want to pay for any of it. They think their taxes won't have to pay for any improvements occurring in the city as long as Doherty can magically excrete non-existent $100 bills. People like Nancy Craig and Andy Spiraglia feel as if city residents shouldn't have to pay their taxes if they don't want to. They call people like them "fiscal liberals," and it is exactly those types of people who are getting our city into trouble. I've never encountered a city in our region where the residents have a greater sense of "entitlement" than Scranton. People up there seem to have a mentality of "I work 40 hours per week. What is the government gonna gimme for it? Gimme, gimme, gimme." You don't hear people in Wilkes-Barre griping and kvetching at their government in the same manner that you people do, yet Wilkes-Barre seems to have virtually twice the violent crime rate of Scranton for a city only slightly larger than half the size of Scranton. Wikes-Barre's streets were just as impassable during the Valentine's Day Blizzard in Scranton, yet instead of just sitting around and griping about it, they banded together with shovels to help out.

Living midway between both cities has provided me with the opportunity to get a good "feel" for each. There's DEFINITELY more of a sense of "I'm the victim; woe is me. Gimme something" in Scranton as opposed to Wilkes-Barre. People in Scranton continually rant and rave as if they are the only city in NEPA with potholes, political corruption, a declining tax base, etc. even though every city in NEPA contends with this. People in Scranton seem to be in despair---"this city is a dump and always will be one." On the other hand, "I Believe" signs are popping up all over Wilkes-Barre as residents are starting to take it upon themselves to make things better. Scrantonians need to get up off their rear-ends and start fixing some problems themselves (like Dan but just about nobody else does) instead of just playing armchair quarterback. "Ask not what your city can do for you; ask what you can do for your city."

When I move to Scranton I'm not just going to become a bitter malcontent who thinks the government is out to get me. I'm going to retain my Wilkes-Barre "Can-Do" personality and use it to pull a weed if I see it or clear a storm drain if it causes problems. I won't just let both problems sit there while I complain until the weeds grow to the point where they block visibility and cause an accident or when a heavy rain comes and the clogged storm drains back water up into my basement. Why is it ALWAYS someone else's job to make improvements in Scranton?

I'm reminded of a story on WNEP during this past winter in which a house fire in Scranton was less severe than it could have been because a neighbor took the time to shovel out a nearby fire hydrant beforehand, saving a few precious minutes for the firefighters. That woman should have been given a key to the city for being seemingly the ONLY one who saw a problem and acted on it as opposed to just whining about it week after week after week. Don't like the conditions at Nay Aug? What's stopping Scranton Tomorrow, Scranton Jaycees, or even the Lower Green Ridge Neighborhood Association from spending a few hours on a Saturday pulling weeds, smoothing out the ruts in the Davis Trail, watering flowers, etc. capped off with hot dogs and hamburgers? Don't give me the whiny "...that's what I pay taxes for" excuse either, as I've heard that time after time while problems continue to build up in your city. If Scranton's employees are inept at performing their BASIC job functions, then do it yourself! I always shovel out our portion of the street in the winter, since our community's DPW is also very lax. Just think of how much better the city would be if more residents stopped with this "Gimme, gimme, gimme" attitude and shed a few pounds to make this city a better place through their own sweat equity. A healthy city is the responsibility of everyone, not just the government.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:45 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I personally think a downtown Barnes & Noble (which does not yet exist in the Scranton area), would do wonders for the city. It could be utilized as a joint college bookstore for Marywood, Lackawanna, University of Scranton, Johnson, and PSU/Worthington in order to lure students downtown to purchase their books (and hopefully linger in the city).
The U is just finishing their new $40 million student center on Mulberry, which will house their new bookstore (now it's housed in Hyland Hall). I don't think they would want their bookstore off campus.

I always thought that where Boscov's furniture was (now Steve and Barry's) in the Steamtown Mall would have made a great location for a Barnes and Noble, it might have been a little too big, s.f. wise, maybe not, but that would have been a perfect addition to the mall.

Last edited by cjseliga; 08-21-2007 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
I think casper meant an amusement park like Six Flags or Dorney. Sometimes I think this area could support a park like this. We support two minor league sports franchises, a ski hill, gambling and lots of shopping, so I think we can support this. On the other hand, I don't know if there's enough people to support it. Look at what happened to Rocky Glen Park. That was a beautiful park that has been closed for years. Although a friend told me that closed because of insurance liability problems. I would think by now someone would of bought that land and did something useful with it by now. Hopefully someone will in the near future.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:26 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Paul do not think for one minute that anyone in this neighborhood gives a sh#t about the condition of Nay Aug. After what the city has done and not done to and for us down here Nay Aug is the least of my concerns. If they did not spend the $1,700,000 on that stupid bridge and they would have had the money in the budget this year to handle the maintanance of the parks in the city. Our police officers have been purchasing their own cars for work, thats how bad it is Paul, the cops have to buy their own cars if they want to have a reliable cruiser in which to work. They are the lowest paid PD in the state and they have to buy their own cars, but hey what the hell some kid in a whellchair was looking up at the treehouse well that makes me fell safe at night, how about you?. This is one of those incidents where you living outside of gthe city gives little creditability on the issue, you do not have to rely on the scranton PD we do and the fact that they have been neglected the way they have is appalling and a insult to the residents of this city. Yes we want services you bet your As&, I'm not talking plowing or potholes but they would be nice, we want our sewers updated and the cost to be low because they have not bothered to get started on a project that they were told to do 20 years ago. We want a better staffed and better paid police and fire dept's that have new or updated equipment and the salaries they deserve. We want our schools to cost what they say they should and not millions and millions more thus creating higher school taxes, we want a mayor that actually cares about the residents here rather then the ones that might come while he builds his buddies projects at alarming rates and over spending and leaving us the residents and taxpayers with a huge bill and NOTHING to show for it. Sure the Jazz fest is nice and maybe the two or 5 people that are actually stupid enough to drive here because of the office are ok too but they in no way raise or generate any income or even enough income to change anything, I am glad that you have some moments in Nay Aug who hasn't but romance does get the grass cut or the gardens maintained does it? You can moments anywhere Paul it was the moment not the park. I am a realist and the reality of this city is that we are a once grand rust belt city that has fallen on the times,. lets make the downtown better but at a pace that the residents can afford lets try to rebuild the city and not the pockets of a select few. None of these projects are bringing anything but condos and office space, abit of retail space, so if they do not take off like they are supposed to we are stuck with what 4 Soutern Unions. You said it yourself why no bookstore, why do we not have any established shopping company's in the downtown outside of the mall, Why not? I bet its because the corporate accounts have weighed the cost to benefit ratio and realized that the cost of opening a big store in the downtown is way over the benefit to the company. We need business's we need to give a person from another city a reason or mulititude of reasons to buy a condo in our downtown, we have nothing....A few restaurants and bars, nothing spectacular and certaining nothing to move here over. For the cost of the condo they could buy a house on 2 acres outside the city. The taxes are the single biggest reason that large companies are not moving here, they have it better in the industrail parks of Arcbald and Olyphant and what not, there is no reason to move the company to Scranton when they can be there and still get some people from the city.
REAL economic development would help us in soo many ways but when the only economic development is in the pockets of the few, the many have to suffer. Paul what does the increased value of my house get me other than more taxes? These houses were build by my great grandfather and they have stayed in my family for over a hundred years, the assessed value could never reach the level of the value they to me. Generations have raised their children in this house and now its my turn, I love that. The parents in the neighborhood were once the kids and their parents were the kids along time ago, we have history together and thats hard to find in this city and this country, I wouldn't sell for any amount. I might move out but I would never sell the famliy homesteads. I'm tired and well bored with arguing over and over again and again

Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
Great post Dan. You have experienced the most out of Scranton, the good and the bad and you know the score. You have lived here a good chunk of your life and it's your right to complain about the city if you want. We just wish that's there was more good things to say about Scranton but there simply isn't in our current state. You are not a malcontent or doomer, you are not a rose colored glasses dreamer. You, like myself, are a realist and the reality in Scranton is pretty bleak right now. Like I said, that could change with an administration change in the near future. I hope people don't think I'm kissing your ass here or puppydogging you. I may be part of your "clique" as CHS89 says, but that's simply because I happen to agree with you and share your viewpoints. If people don't like it too bad. Dan has opened my eyes to all the problems in this city and he's the reason I started to attend council meetings to see firsthand the problems in this city. Dan has also opened people's eyes to the politics of this city on this very forum. It's refreshing to discuss politics here and get people's opinions on the different issues that are plaquing Scranton. Even though all of us may not agree, it is like therapy sometimes to just say what is on your mind.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM

37 posts, read 94,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I think casper meant an amusement park like Six Flags or Dorney. Sometimes I think this area could support a park like this. We support two minor league sports franchises, a ski hill, gambling and lots of shopping, so I think we can support this. On the other hand, I don't know if there's enough people to support it. Look at what happened to Rocky Glen Park. That was a beautiful park that has been closed for years. Although a friend told me that closed because of insurance liability problems. I would think by now someone would of bought that land and did something useful with it by now. Hopefully someone will in the near future.
You are right on the money! This area..not just scranton needs a amusement park. Each summer, Millions of dollars are being spent outside of our own county. What does this tell you? It says..if the government would listen..they would build it.er.ok maybe not. Rocky glenn was then set ablaze after closure..for obvious reasons. insurance. Since the fire, Glen maura owns the property and a developmental project is in the works. dont expect a park. glen maura is a ritchy bitchy ******* that cares about himself and charging thousands for his homes.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
You are right on the money! This area..not just scranton needs a amusement park. Each summer, Millions of dollars are being spent outside of our own county. What does this tell you? It says..if the government would listen..they would build it.er.ok maybe not. Rocky glenn was then set ablaze after closure..for obvious reasons. insurance. Since the fire, Glen maura owns the property and a developmental project is in the works. dont expect a park. glen maura is a ritchy bitchy ******* that cares about himself and charging thousands for his homes.

Once again, you are under the delusion that the GOVERNMENT should build an AMUSEMENT PARK? I don't recall any places that have government-run amusement parks. Dorney, Hershey, Six Flags, Knoebels, Disney World, etc...all are privately run. But hey, you obviously discovered something this area might demand...SO WHY DON'T YOU START UP AN AMUSEMENT PARK? Oh I'm sorry, I forogt, you're a typical Scranton gloom-and-doom Chicken Little who always thinks the sky is falling and always thinks its the governments job to keep it from falling on you, yet your type refuses to do anything to help themselves other than complaining at council meetings and typing poorly-written diatribes on DD.com and other message boards. Move to Communist China if you want the government's hand in every little thing, including your entertainment.

Oh, and you gave me my daily laugh with your "Glen Maura" comment, as if the development is owned by a guy named Glen Maura.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 AM

37 posts, read 94,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Once again, you are under the delusion that the GOVERNMENT should build an AMUSEMENT PARK? I don't recall any places that have government-run amusement parks. Dorney, Hershey, Six Flags, Knoebels, Disney World, etc...all are privately run. But hey, you obviously discovered something this area might demand...SO WHY DON'T YOU START UP AN AMUSEMENT PARK? Oh I'm sorry, I forogt, you're a typical Scranton gloom-and-doom Chicken Little who always thinks the sky is falling and always thinks its the governments job to keep it from falling on you, yet your type refuses to do anything to help themselves other than complaining at council meetings and typing poorly-written diatribes on DD.com and other message boards. Move to Communist China if you want the government's hand in every little thing, including your entertainment.

Oh, and you gave me my daily laugh with your "Glen Maura" comment, as if the development is owned by a guy named Glen Maura.
Technically, Since all the loans to build a park would be through the government, the government would technically own it. because it is "their" money. What? you think some millionaire just decided eh..ill build a amusement park? Nope, The government helped them out. It takes MILLIONS to build a amusement park. Government will always have a piece of the pie when it comes to development. Hence why governors commissioners mayors and presidents are always at a certain part of the state in the grand opening of a business. simply because, they want credit because its their money that helped the business!
Hate to inform you, but 55% of rockey glen park was owned by the government. when the sterling family closed it down taxes were owed. loans were owed and it was impossible for the sterling family to get out of debt. so, then came the torching of the park which deffinitely had something to do with the sterling family. Figure, why would a family like the sterlings just walk away from a park without getting some insurance money? right?. its called arson and insurance fraud. Did i mention to you that im a cop? yeah, see, i deal with yahoos like you all the time.
Know what you are talking about before you open your pie hole!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,240 times
Quote:
when the sterling family closed it down taxes were owed. loans were owed and it was impossible for the sterling family to get out of debt. so, then came the torching of the park which deffinitely had something to do with the sterling family. Figure, why would a family like the sterlings just walk away from a park without getting some insurance money? right?. its called arson and insurance fraud.
Are we speculating, or has this been proven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania