Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,334,452 times

Advertisements

"Sarah Palin was asked a question by a third grader and she got it wrong.
She apparently still does not know what the vice president does ...
She says he or she runs the Senate.
No, not in this country.
You know I would never accuse George Bush of being a bright man,
but when he was elected, at least he knew which building to show up to."
.....Bill Maher
Attached Thumbnails
Political/Off-Topic sticky chat thread-palin-scream.jpg  

Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,704,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
"Sarah Palin was asked a question by a third grader and she got it wrong.
She apparently still does not know what the vice president does ...
She says he or she runs the Senate.
No, not in this country.
You know I would never accuse George Bush of being a bright man,
but when he was elected, at least he knew which building to show up to."
.....Bill Maher
Actually, the Vice President does run the Senate, like the Speaker of the House runs the House of Representatives.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 AM

904 posts, read 2,059,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Actually, the Vice President does run the Senate, like the Speaker of the House runs the House of Representatives.
Nope. They're "President of the Senate" in title only, and the majority leader essentially runs the Senate, setting the agenda and picking who presides over proceedings. VPs only cast tie-breaking votes and otherwise are rarely involved in the Senate.

United States Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,318,348 times
As long as we're nitpicking, and you're using Wiki as a source, it says that "the Vice President of the United States is the ex officio President of the Senate and can only vote to break a tie."

Ex offifio (also from wiki, as long as we're going to rely on them...) means "by virtue of office or position; 'by right of office'. Often used when someone holds one position by virtue of holding another." So, yes, the VP is the presiding officer of the Senate. The Majority Leader is the President Pro Tempore ("equivalent to English phrase "for the time being". Denotes a temporary current situation.")

President of the Senate, from www.senate.gov, refers one to Vice President.

See also Article 1 Section 3 of the United States Constitution.

GoNe and Palin are technically correct. You are splitting hairs.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
GoNe and Palin are technically correct. You are splitting hairs.
technically correct? You split hairs.

VPs simply do not run the Senate.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM

So, yeah, time to focus on Scranton's 2009 mayoral race..

Are there actually any potential challengers to Doherty lining up yet?

Ray? weluvpa? ScranBarre?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:41 PM

32,624 posts, read 77,760,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
ScranBarre?
Not a bloody chance in hell. I predict Mayor Janet Evans for 2009.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,116,797 times
Currently I have been told that Gary Debileo will be running and that is the only who has come out and said it, at least to me and that was just last night.

I would never want it nor should Gary....Look at this way, the next mayor is going to have to stick the residents with tax increases to pay down the Doherty debt. I say let him have it, why would you want to take the wheel of the Titanic if you knew ahead of time that it would sink? The city has already hit the burg and its going down, the question is how fast and whether or not we can stop the flooding that is being created by the over spending...If we can get that in check then it will overwelm the pumps and the ship will certain slip beneath the surface. I say let Doherty go down at the wheel so he will undoubtly get the blame for the mess.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,673,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Currently I have been told that Gary Debileo will be running and that is the only who has come out and said it, at least to me and that was just last night.

I would never want it nor should Gary....Look at this way, the next mayor is going to have to stick the residents with tax increases to pay down the Doherty debt. I say let him have it, why would you want to take the wheel of the Titanic if you knew ahead of time that it would sink? The city has already hit the burg and its going down, the question is how fast and whether or not we can stop the flooding that is being created by the over spending...If we can get that in check then it will overwelm the pumps and the ship will certain slip beneath the surface. I say let Doherty go down at the wheel so he will undoubtly get the blame for the mess.
Then there is really no hope for Scranton in the near future. Everyone jump on a lifeboat and get out while you can. Every man for himself!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM

537 posts, read 1,334,452 times
Default This just in...

On the National scene, Palin had an interview in Alaska and offended me personally. Here are the details!

Palin says all she ever asked for was a Diet Dr Pepper : Politics : The Rocky Mountain News

I put up with all of her stupidity. Made fun with it, as pathetic as it was. Now I am offended. She is a flaming *******! Read the details if you haven't had the misfortune to see her talk on the national news tonight, as I did! She is one pathetic person! She will NOT take any responsibility for her behavior!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania