Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,757 times

Advertisements

I sat next to a guy with a long ponytail, full beard, and a beret to let the public know that he is an artist. I spoke to him just once before. On his beret was a large button with one word, "NOBAMA!" The "NO" was in red, the rest in white on a blue background. I told him it was a very clever button and he smiled. I told him that I met someone who hated Obama and sarcastically called him "Obamessiah." I now use that word. He added that he doesn't trust anyone who has such a huge following! And that he feels we are vulnerable and must stand guard! I laughed. He grinned. I told him that my son and his friends said that the youth today is sick and tired of the old white pasty guys who protect the rich at the expense of most citizens! He nodded his head in acknowlegement and smiled.

I knew this guy's background. (Google is wonderful!) He had a career in the military. And he brought his Italian wife back with him...

The button confused my friend. It made sense to me. I look at him and see his crew cut!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:51 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,456,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
I sat next to a guy with a long ponytail, full beard, and a beret to let the public know that he is an artist. I spoke to him just once before. On his beret was a large button with one word, "NOBAMA!" The "NO" was in red, the rest in white on a blue background. I told him it was a very clever button and he smiled. I told him that I met someone who hated Obama and sarcastically called him "Obamessiah." I now use that word. He added that he doesn't trust anyone who has such a huge following! And that he feels we are vulnerable and must stand guard! I laughed. He grinned. I told him that my son and his friends said that the youth today is sick and tired of the old white pasty guys who protect the rich at the expense of most citizens! He nodded his head in acknowlegement and smiled.

I knew this guy's background. (Google is wonderful!) He had a career in the military. And he brought his Italian wife back with him...

The button confused my friend. It made sense to me. I look at him and see his crew cut!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Well, you can say the same thing about the Bush bashers. I'll admit, he hasn't been the greatest President, but some people would have you think he's the devil incarnate. Some people would have you think the country is on it's last leg and we're fighting for life. Come on, it works both ways. Clinton and Bush are both politicians who are not perfect by any means, but both were elected to be leaders. People have different views on how each led this country.
Why doesn't this seem to apply on a local level as far as you're concerned? Seriously. Not busting balls, I'm genuinely curious.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Why doesn't this seem to apply on a local level as far as you're concerned? Seriously. Not busting balls, I'm genuinely curious.
I'll answer that no problem. The mayor, the size of a city like Scranton, has more of a direct effect on his city than the President has on the country. The President has to go through more channels than the mayor, especially since our mayor has a council on his side that most times votes 3-2 in his favor.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'll answer that no problem.
Okay, let me know when. Your post above really didn't answer the question at all. If anything, it revealed a double standard based on political party.

Putting your political nursing aside, please answer the question I asked you.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
He answered it, maybe not the way you wanted but he answered it. Its easier to highly critical of our local politicians because they do have a more direct effect on our lives...Your just being a child.

Honestly its getting old. Maybe a ride down the bridal path will help clear your head. Maybe a ride up the pole lines to see if anyone is up there, but I'm sure with all the new construction it might be hard.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Okay, let me know when. Your post above really didn't answer the question at all. If anything, it revealed a double standard based on political party.

Putting your political nursing aside, please answer the question I asked you.
I answered it. It had nothing to do with a political party. Now think clearly and focus, something you have a hard time doing. A mayor of a particular city, whether he's Democratic or Republican, has more of a direct impact on that city than the President has on the entire country. Doherty has more of an effect locally on our daily lives than Obama or Bush ever could. Scranton is a mayor strong government and a lot of what Doherty does negatively or positively impacts us more. There, is that good enough for you, if not, oh well. If you can't see what I'm talking about, maybe you need to learn reading comprehension.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 PM

You answered something, but it wasn't what I had asked you.

Here's what you said:
Quote:
Well, you can say the same thing about the Bush bashers. I'll admit, he hasn't been the greatest President, but some people would have you think he's the devil incarnate. Some people would have you think the country is on it's last leg and we're fighting for life. Come on, it works both ways. Clinton and Bush are both politicians who are not perfect by any means, but both were elected to be leaders. People have different views on how each led this country.
What I had asked, basically, was why do local politicians (coincidentally Democrats) not get the slack from you that a national politician would, who happens to be Republican? You even had the sack to say it "wasn't political." And you seriously think that a city mayor has more influence and power than a President? Directly, sure, that's obvious. The further you get from anything, the less direct of an impact it seems to have on your life. But that's not really the case. That's just tunnel vision and failing (or refusing) to see the larger picture. So, tell me, when can we expect you to squat out a gem like this: Well, you can say the same thing about the mayor's bashers. I'll admit, he hasn't been the greatest mayor, but some people would have you think he's the devil incarnate. Some people would have you think the city is on it's last leg and we're fighting for life. Come on, it works both ways. The mayor is a politician who is not perfect by any means, but he was elected to be a leader. People have different views on how he led this city ?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,757 times
Default An elderly man that I know.....

...is very upset that his McCain didn't win. He likes palin's looks and thinks she is the best thing for the GOP. Here is his statement to whatever is said about the President Elect and palin. "Just remember in 2012 when she unseats Obama, if he hasn't been impeached yet."

Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
You answered something, but it wasn't what I had asked you.

Here's what you said:

What I had asked, basically, was why do local politicians (coincidentally Democrats) not get the slack from you that a national politician would, who happens to be Republican? You even had the sack to say it "wasn't political." And you seriously think that a city mayor has more influence and power than a President? Directly, sure, that's obvious. The further you get from anything, the less direct of an impact it seems to have on your life. But that's not really the case. That's just tunnel vision and failing (or refusing) to see the larger picture. So, tell me, when can we expect you to squat out a gem like this: Well, you can say the same thing about the mayor's bashers. I'll admit, he hasn't been the greatest mayor, but some people would have you think he's the devil incarnate. Some people would have you think the city is on it's last leg and we're fighting for life. Come on, it works both ways. The mayor is a politician who is not perfect by any means, but he was elected to be a leader. People have different views on how he led this city ?
You're missing the whole point of what I originally meant. I don't like Doherty not for the fact that's he's a Democrat. I don't like how he's run this city to the ground with his foolish spending and cutting public safety, among other things. People bash Bush endlessly, and it's their right to. I just feel that the mayor of our city has ruined Scranton, more so than Bush ruined the country, because it's a more concentrated political office. I don't care if Doherty is Democrat, Republican or in the Whig party. I don't care if he was white, black or anything else. He has done a horrible job as mayor of Scranton. And for the record, I never even referenced Doherty in my original post, you brought up the local level. Glad to have you back discussing again CHS89.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania