Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,345,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
If I get one, maybe I'll scoop some turds out of my cats litter box with it....I'd use it as toilet paper but I don't want a case of burning hemorrhoids.

I just love that the mayor is using taxpayer funds to send Christmas cards.....no coincidence that an election year is coming up...

We're in a deep recession, yet the mayor knows nothing about tightening the belt and prioritizing spending....he'll keep spending like a drunken sailor just to further his political career....
He sounds no different than any other elected official! A government for Government, by Government, forever bigger Government! It use to be different!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
There is nothing funny about the mess that Doherty has put this city in. If in fact he does run again and does get elected, I will laugh and view this city as hopeless and pathetic. To keep electing this man shows insanity on the part of very sheepish voters. Look what he has done to this city, I can't possibly think that the people of Scranton could be that naive and blind to re-elect him to a third term. But you never know here in the Electric City, we shall see.........

Old 12-22-2008, 02:20 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
There is nothing funny about the mess that Doherty has put this city in. If in fact he does run again and does get elected, I will laugh and view this city as hopeless and pathetic. To keep electing this man shows insanity on the part of very sheepish voters. Look what he has done to this city, I can't possibly think that the people of Scranton could be that naive and blind to re-elect him to a third term. But you never know here in the Electric City, we shall see.........
He probably will win. When you pit a Green Ridge elitist who can't curb spending against his chain-smoking Cruela DeVil look-alike neighbor and a wishy-washy insurance salesman who is still "99% sure I probably may run," of course it's no contest. Why can't Scranton EVER get anyone visionary, intelligent, insightful, and passionate to run for office? I have a lot of great ideas that I'd love to implement to help the city become a better place to live and raise a family in, but I'd NEVER run because I wouldn't want my family exposed to the political vitriol and shenanigans that are involved with being a city politician. Dan, why don't you run? I've never been "excited" about a mayoral race in the Electric City.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:24 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,990,385 times
If Doherty runs he will win by a large number.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
If Doherty runs he will win by a large number.
I don't agree with that...People are actually starting to notice that nothing has been done.....Three terms is pushing it when you have done nothing to help the city.........People are actually noicing that the downtown is empty and that is already a tremendous amount fo empty space.

I know a few diehard Doherty supporters that will not vote for him because they think three terms is too much.

IF he runs and does lose it will be CAREER SUICIDE, a risk I don't think he is willing to take. He wants a higher office and burned his bridges with the coming presidency and thats it for him....He runs at Kanjo and wins in 2010 or he runs and takes the chance of a lifetime on a 3rd term.

People only remember your last term.....3 time winner..council, mayor, mayor or last term loser?

Old 12-23-2008, 06:58 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
He probably will win. When you pit a Green Ridge elitist who can't curb spending against his chain-smoking Cruela DeVil look-alike neighbor and a wishy-washy insurance salesman who is still "99% sure I probably may run," of course it's no contest. Why can't Scranton EVER get anyone visionary, intelligent, insightful, and passionate to run for office? I have a lot of great ideas that I'd love to implement to help the city become a better place to live and raise a family in, but I'd NEVER run because I wouldn't want my family exposed to the political vitriol and shenanigans that are involved with being a city politician. Dan, why don't you run? I've never been "excited" about a mayoral race in the Electric City.
But the lesser of two evils, by a long shot, is Gary DiBileo....he is a good guy, is not an elitist at all. He would most definitely be better than Doherty. Doherty has proven that he is a flop as a mayor, and is not even a likeable person....I don't see any reason in hell to vote for Doherty.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 AM

I got my Doherty (election propaganda) Christmas card yesterday. Posing at Nay Aug (aka Dohertyland), of course. I wonder why he didn't send Christmas cards in non-election years? The only other present I remember from him is a higher tax bill not long after the holidays...

What a buffoon.....

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 12-23-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 AM

904 posts, read 2,056,008 times
Quote:
I just love that the mayor is using taxpayer funds to send Christmas cards....
Just to be clear, they were sent by the campaign, not the city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
He wouldn't dare send me a card..... Blip I'm glad you find this all very funny...You haven't lived here long enough to have felt the financial squeezing of the taxpayers in Scranton but you will my friend, you will. You will also come to learn that the current admin is and will be the finacial downfall of this city, burying us under decades of debt.......The next mayor is going to have to raise the taxes to cover this mess....Its only just the beginning of what we are going to need to do to bail out this city over the next 20-30 years....

For a recent transplant though the hype is easy to believe and the Times does a good job of hiding the mess for the mayor. But you have no idea.
I do have pretty good hype/BS sensors...

Seriously, I'll just leave if it gets as bad as you say. Writing off my then abandoned house, on top of other recent investment losses, means I won't have any capital gains taxes for decades. Yeeah!

Quote:
But the lesser of two evils, by a long shot, is Gary DiBileo....he is a good guy, is not an elitist at all. He would most definitely be better than Doherty. Doherty has proven that he is a flop as a mayor, and is not even a likeable person....I don't see any reason in hell to vote for Doherty.
What is DiBileo's story in a nutshell, for a newb like myself? I take it that's his insurance company on S. Main. Is he actually a Republican, or he just ran unofficially as one?

And is the primary always so early?

I still think the mayor is way less important than the regional economy, but I'm less optimistic about that than good mayoral leadership.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post

What is DiBileo's story in a nutshell, for a newb like myself? I take it that's his insurance company on S. Main. Is he actually a Republican, or he just ran unofficially as one?

And is the primary always so early?

I still think the mayor is way less important than the regional economy, but I'm less optimistic about that than good mayoral leadership.
He's a democrat, but he made the ballot last time as a write-in on the republican ticket. He also came close to beating Doherty in the democratic primary. And since Doherty's name is not as good as it was last time, I think there is a very real chance of King Doherty being knocked off this time....if only people will not believe the slanted drivel that will be printed in the Times-Tribune.

I've run into Dibileo often enough...he goes to our church, I've coached against him in t-ball, etc...seems like a nice guy. I don't know him on a personal level, but like I said, he can't be any worse than Doherty, so he's worth a shot. And Doherty has proven himself to be a poor mayor, and is an unlikeable smug elitist...there's no reason to vote for him. I could handle his unlikebale personality if he was doing a good job, but he's not. We're in debt up to our eyeballs, yet he continues to spend on photo-ops....our grandkids will be paying off the Doherty debt at this point. He's letting the police and fire departments deteriorate....which is not good for public safety...especially as crime rises, and Wilkes-Barre beefs up its police department, the criminals may find a more welcoming environment in Scranton.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 PM

904 posts, read 2,056,008 times
Thanks, sounds like he could be up my alley-- fiscally conservative dem.

I am concerned that the spending is seemingly not being curtailed by the mayor and the council. Because the city didn't fly as high as most, it probably won't drop as much as most. And it's not as dependent on taxes from inflated real estate. But still, I haven't read anything in the papers that shows concern or awareness on their part of the economic ills the country's facing. Even if they had some theory on how deficit spending is a sound investment and gets you more bang for the buck in deep recessions, etc., that'd be something.... But seems like obliviousness.

I'm certainly not the most informed citizen, so likely I'm missing something....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania