Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 11:27 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,782,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
That's weird because mine has a battery in the side. I have take it in and they replace it for me every couple of years.

That link leads to their business side. Wonder if that's the difference.

All I know is mine has a battery.
Actually, that's not the business side page- the "For Business" is clickable and re-directs to the business page.

We definitely didn't have a backup battery from them, our phone went out all the time. Which was fine with me; I don't like speaking on the phone anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 03:04 PM

8,136 posts, read 7,512,971 times
I just called BRC. Besides the regular monthly fee there is a charge of $54.95 to have the tech come out, plus an installation charge of $24.95 per line (which they didn't tell me about last time I called). So that makes the switch less attractive for me. I'm sticking with rickety old Verizon for now.

FWIW we have a backup generator so there's no need for me to worry about a battery backup if/when we do switch to BRC!

Old 08-30-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I just called BRC. Besides the regular monthly fee there is a charge of $54.95 to have the tech come out, plus an installation charge of $24.95 per line (which they didn't tell me about last time I called). So that makes the switch less attractive for me. I'm sticking with rickety old Verizon for now.

FWIW we have a backup generator so there's no need for me to worry about a battery backup if/when we do switch to BRC!
BRCTV is an utter rip-off and since they're pretty much the only game in town (in my area) they bend everyone right over. The service is subpar at best. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost internet on a beautifully clear day while working from home. And because my house is a cell reception dead zone, I had to drive out to route 903 and connect my cell to my laptop to continue working.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
BRCTV is an utter rip-off and since they're pretty much the only game in town (in my area) they bend everyone right over. The service is subpar at best. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost internet on a beautifully clear day while working from home. And because my house is a cell reception dead zone, I had to drive out to route 903 and connect my cell to my laptop to continue working.
Wow, sorry to hear that. We have the 150mbps service at $60.95 and it's been very reliable. I've been working from home (mostly) since March last year.

If you keep bugging them I bet they'll fix the problem. Last year I had a problem that I was blaming on BRC but it turned out our router wasn't powerful enough to handle everyone working from home at once and with incremental increases in the number of devices hooked up to our WiFi. At one point they sent a guy out who found "water in the box" which he addressed but didn't solve my problem.

Have you checked out other cell providers? Years ago I had AT&T and Nextel (at different times) for work and neither worked at my house. Finally my job switched to Verizon which works great (and which we have for personal cells).

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2021, 04:13 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,155,299 times
Quote:
And because my house is a cell reception dead zone, I had to drive out to route 903 and connect my cell to my laptop to continue working.
When I bought and moved to NEPA in 2007 I had zero cellphone reception also. I would have to drive down from the mountaintop to make a call via cellphone and it wasn't always going through either. I did a search online and found this site:

https://www.deadcellzones.com/

where I went practically every day to complain about no reception for my area. Eventually Verizon got off their a$$'s and we now have almost 3 bars of service and my cellphone calls are done via WIFI from the house since my Samsung S8 supports WIFI calling. If you do use the above site I recommend continuing to complain till something gets done. Worked for me.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear that. We have the 150mbps service at $60.95 and it's been very reliable. I've been working from home (mostly) since March last year.

If you keep bugging them I bet they'll fix the problem. Last year I had a problem that I was blaming on BRC but it turned out our router wasn't powerful enough to handle everyone working from home at once and with incremental increases in the number of devices hooked up to our WiFi. At one point they sent a guy out who found "water in the box" which he addressed but didn't solve my problem.

Have you checked out other cell providers? Years ago I had AT&T and Nextel (at different times) for work and neither worked at my house. Finally my job switched to Verizon which works great (and which we have for personal cells).

Good luck!
I'm in a relatively much lower populated area for the Poconos (outside Jim Thorpe in Penn Forest Township). We have upgraded the modem and router, we have several boosters placed in the house as well. We have power issues too, just the infrastructure out by us. It's nowhere near as "built-up" as E Burg, Tobyhanna, etc. Basically the wind blows and out goes power and/or cable.

In 9 years we have used Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. The nearest tower(s) to my development is about 5 miles away so none will get us cell service in the house without the use of a microcell. Which is fine until the internet goes out (microcells run off your internet). :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
When I bought and moved to NEPA in 2007 I had zero cellphone reception also. I would have to drive down from the mountaintop to make a call via cellphone and it wasn't always going through either. I did a search online and found this site:

https://www.deadcellzones.com/

where I went practically every day to complain about no reception for my area. Eventually Verizon got off their a$$'s and we now have almost 3 bars of service and my cellphone calls are done via WIFI from the house since my Samsung S8 supports WIFI calling. If you do use the above site I recommend continuing to complain till something gets done. Worked for me.
I can say it is starting to get better. I can now get a single bar on the road that leads into my community, which until very recently was no service at all. I'm reading locally lots of Verizon folks starting to have trouble with their service and said this is a recent development. Everyone has an opinion regarding who provides the best service, for us none of them do based on where our house sits (pretty much just thousands of acres of heavy woods behind us).

Old 09-03-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Currently the outside line does not carry a strong enough signal to make the phones ring or trigger the answering machine, although we can call out or answer the phone if we know it's ringing! This has happened several times over the past few years and it's always a problem with the outside wires.
Update: Our power, cable, internet, and land line all went down Wednesday night. After power, cable, and internet was restored yesterday I also discovered that the Verizon land line works 100% as intended. Weird that Met Ed fixing the power lines would also fix the phone line! Or maybe Verizon also had repair crews out? Either way, we're good for another couple of years before our land line goes wacky again (hopefully).

Old 09-03-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I can say it is starting to get better. I can now get a single bar on the road that leads into my community, which until very recently was no service at all. I'm reading locally lots of Verizon folks starting to have trouble with their service and said this is a recent development. Everyone has an opinion regarding who provides the best service, for us none of them do based on where our house sits (pretty much just thousands of acres of heavy woods behind us).
I would still recommend posting complaints on that website. The mobile carrier's (supposedly) monitor that site for complaints. Nothing to lose on your part.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I would still recommend posting complaints on that website. The mobile carrier's (supposedly) monitor that site for complaints. Nothing to lose on your part.
I lodge complaints quarterly. TMobile has the canned response of "we're working on it" I was told by a rep with the merger more towers are coming together to strengthen signals, blah blah. The nearest Sprint tower is 5 miles away.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I lodge complaints quarterly. TMobile has the canned response of "we're working on it" I was told by a rep with the merger more towers are coming together to strengthen signals, blah blah. The nearest Sprint tower is 5 miles away.
I meant the website I recommended above.....not the cell service companies website....you'll get nowhere talking to them I agree.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania