Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 07:16 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,429,348 times

Advertisements

For years, Verizon has been passively trying to get us to drop their land line service by letting their lines deteriorate. Currently the outside line does not carry a strong enough signal to make the phones ring or trigger the answering machine, although we can call out or answer the phone if we know it's ringing! This has happened several times over the past few years and it's always a problem with the outside wires.

So now I'm thinking of switching to Blue Ridge Cable for phone service rather than chase Verizon for yet another repair. Does anyone use BRC for home phone, and have an opinion, pro or con?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 04:18 PM

30,512 posts, read 16,213,477 times
I have Blue Ridge Communications (aka Cable) for phone and computer. Had it for tv too but cancelled that as I'd only watch the local news, about 1/2 hr/day. Not worth it.

I have no problems with them. After hrs support a little slow but I think that's pretty typical and when you do get the support it's a person who speaks English. Not trying to be snarky but I don't get the techno mumbo jumbo so trying to understand that and someone with a heavy accent is a major challenge for me.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:20 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I also have their landline with BR and I do like their tech support. I will not have anything to do with Verizon because of their tech support. Verizon is the worst! I think that I was talking with India and left on hold for long periods of time while waiting for a supervisor that was not helpful. They lost a customer for good because I will never go back no matter how good a deal they offer.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:32 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Thanks for the replies.

So, from the inside of the house is anything different? What I mean is, does BRC just hook up their line to the old Telco NID (Network Interface Device)? I'd rather not have any new lines running into the house!

BRC offers a 24-month price of $24.95 plus tax, then $49.95 plus tax for unlimited calling versus Verizon's $39.00-ish (tax included) for limited local calling. Unlimited calling is nice but we already have that with our cell phones.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:23 AM

I can't answer that because I've never had anything else where I live now.

but it sounds like a choice between keeping the lines you've got now and Verizon or Blue Ridge and maybe more lines.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
We had Blue Ridge for a home phone for several years (finally did away with a home line when my MIL passed). One thing to realize and remember; if the power and/or cable goes out, so does your phone. BRC does not offer free battery backup that connects to your modem, so you'd need to buy your own, whether from them or a retailer, in the event power goes out. You wouldn't even be able to get a 911 call through without it. (It's called an EMTA)

Old 08-24-2021, 02:24 PM

computer, true
phone, no. There is a battery. Not sure how long it lasts. Maybe not long enough to chit chat with your sweetie kins but certainly long enough emergency calls.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:30 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
computer, true
phone, no. There is a battery. Not sure how long it lasts. Maybe not long enough to chit chat with your sweetie kins but certainly long enough emergency calls.
I have experienced times when my BR cable phone just stops working. But then I use my cellphone. I would rather have that little inconvenience than have to deal with the Verizon customer service. With Blue Ridge, I can usually reach a technician and they talk me through the problems. Rarely can I not get through to somebody to help and, unlike Verizon, they sound and act like they actually want to help!

Old 08-26-2021, 11:19 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
computer, true
From BRC's disclosures:

Q. DIGITAL PHONE BATTERY BACKUP

Your Blue Ridge Digital Phone service utilizes telephone equipment that is connected to your home’s power. During a power outage, you will not have access to phone service or e911 unless a battery is installed and attached to the telephone equipment (“EMTA”) at your home. Blue Ridge currently supports two types of EMTAs: EMTAs and EMTA 3.1s. Effective June 22, 2018, EMTAs and EMTA 3.1s do not come with a backup battery, but they are available for purchase upon request.

https://www.brctv.com/terms-and-conditions

Old 08-26-2021, 02:42 PM

That's weird because mine has a battery in the side. I have take it in and they replace it for me every couple of years.

That link leads to their business side. Wonder if that's the difference.

All I know is mine has a battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania