Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 09:34 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times

Advertisements

saw this in my news feed this morning and since others here on CD have a preference to BH as I do thought I'd share it....doesn't change my mind about BH anyway....still my preferred over Thumans, Deitz & Watson, or Oscar Mayer any day....

https://www.tastingtable.com/1035671...orst-to-best/?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 10:49 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
saw this in my news feed this morning and since others here on CD have a preference to BH as I do thought I'd share it....doesn't change my mind about BH anyway....still my preferred over Thumans, Deitz & Watson, or Oscar Mayer any day....

https://www.tastingtable.com/1035671...orst-to-best/?
They did like many of the BH products. They did not mention the BH Head Cheese - which I really get hungry for from time to time. Head cheese has to be sliced just right. If it is too thick it does not make a good sandwich and if it is too thin it will fall apart when separating the slices.

Old 10-07-2022, 06:53 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If it is too thick it does not make a good sandwich and if it is too thin it will fall apart when separating the slices.
Has to be ordered as "sandwich slice" which they will do....that way it doesn't fall apart....thicker slices are better for when making grilled cheese sandwiches....comes out extra gooey!!

Old 10-07-2022, 07:55 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Oscar Mayer is garbage. I consider Boar’s Head, Dietz & Watson, and Thumann’s to be decent (and largely interchangeable).

Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Boar's Head like a lot of other companies that make cold cuts has removed sodium nitrite from their products. Sodium nitrite is a curing agent, which effectively removes pig and bull sex and other hormones from lunch meat products. I no longer buy meats that aren't cured. Provision companies try to make up for this by adding more salt, smoke flavorings and celery powder to the ingredients.

Berks Packing of Reading still uses sodium nitrite. I used to buy Ball Park angus beef hot dogs but since they took out the sodium nitrite I've switched to Berks.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Sodium nitrite is a curing agent, which effectively removes pig and bull sex and other hormones from lunch meat products.
I’m sorry, what?

Quote:
I no longer buy meats that aren't cured. Provision companies try to make up for this by adding more salt, smoke flavorings and celery powder to the ingredients.
Excessive sodium nitrate and nitrite consumption is also associated with a whole host of health issues. And celery powder has naturally occurring nitrates and nitrites anyway.

Quote:
Berks Packing of Reading still uses sodium nitrite. I used to buy Ball Park angus beef hot dogs but since they took out the sodium nitrite I've switched to Berks.
Ball Park makes C- dogs anyway. Berks, I’d give a C+. The kosher and kosher-style brands (Hebrew National, Nathan’s, Sabrett, and even Costco.) are the best, IMO, thanks to the garlic and paprika-based spice blend. DC half-smokes are a not-too-distant second for me.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:43 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
"The kosher and kosher-style brands (Hebrew National, Nathan’s, Sabrett, and even Costco.) are the best, IMO, thanks to the garlic and paprika-based spice blend. DC half-smokes are a not-too-distant second for me."

I'm surprised, Elijah. Hebrew National is owned by ConAgra and truly observant Jews will not eat them. They've lost their "OU" certification . Nathan's and Sabrett are not kosher. Best Provision Company of Chicago was said to have the best "glatt kosher" hot dogs but they were purchased by the Sara Lee Corporation and then Sara Lee shut them down. There's a tiny glatt kosher hot dog maker in NJ if you're interested.

https://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-d...w-abiding-dog/

Old 10-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
"The kosher and kosher-style brands (Hebrew National, Nathan’s, Sabrett, and even Costco.) are the best, IMO, thanks to the garlic and paprika-based spice blend. DC half-smokes are a not-too-distant second for me."

I'm surprised, Elijah. Hebrew National is owned by ConAgra and truly observant Jews will not eat them. They've lost their "OU" certification . Nathan's and Sabrett are not kosher. Best Provision Company of Chicago was said to have the best "glatt kosher" hot dogs but they were purchased by the Sara Lee Corporation and then Sara Lee shut them down. There's a tiny glatt kosher hot dog maker in NJ if you're interested.

https://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-d...w-abiding-dog/
Why are you surprised? I mentioned kosher and kosher-style brands because I generally like all-beef hot dogs with a garlic-and-paprika based spice blend. For me, the method of slaughter is incidental to the taste.

I do not keep (and never have kept) kosher. The DC half-smoke shoutout should have given that away (half smokes being 50/50 pork and beef, after all).

Old 10-16-2022, 07:15 AM

490 posts, read 623,936 times
Quote:
Boar's Head like a lot of other companies that make cold cuts has removed sodium nitrite from their products. Sodium nitrite is a curing agent, which effectively removes pig and bull sex and other hormones from lunch meat products. I no longer buy meats that aren't cured. Provision companies try to make up for this by adding more salt, smoke flavorings and celery powder to the ingredients.

Celery powder contains naturally occurring nitrates and makes a fine curing agent.

edit: I see ElijahAustin has already pointed this out.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:25 AM

490 posts, read 623,936 times
Boars Head is a brand I've been eating since the 70s and still enjoy. Some of their products are very nostalgic for me. I used to go to a little grocery store during grade school lunch breaks for bologna on a kaiser roll with Gulden's brown mustard. I mostly use their low-sodium options these days, which are still pretty salty for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania