Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 29,720 times

Advertisements

I don't think you will have an issue with a bi-racial marriage within the four township region that makes up the Pleasant Valley School district. I think for the most part you will not be treated badly. A good portion of the people who live in this region are New Yorkers and former Jersey residents.

As for the flooding; Pennsylvania is the most flood prone state in the US. Just keep in mind when looking for a house it's location. Having a house with a babling brook running alongside of it is beautiful most all the time. It is amazing though how quickly that little brook can turn into a raging river every once and a blue moon when we get a torrent of rain or a quick snow melt off. When looking at a house don't be as quick to buy the lowest house (in elevation) in the neighborhood. Look over the general area and see how the landscape lies and slopes. Closer to the house in general see how the lawn is sloped around the foudation. If grade runs into the house as opposed to away from the house there could be issues with water in heavy rains or even saturated ground. This could cause basement flooding which could be at least a small nuisance to as much as a structural issue over time.

In Pennsylvania it is a law to disclose information such as leaky or flooded basements, but not all people are completely honest when filling these out. When looking for a house to buy make certian to be provided with a property disclosure sheet. If you buy an existing house near any new construction the disclosure could have been completely honest and the new construction and grading could easily disrupt the drainage in the area causing a nightmare.

Hopefully I have provided an answer (long winded at that) to you. Sorry about that. I hope it was helpful though.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 14,339 times
Default You may want to consider...

Carbon County... Albrightsville, Lake Harmony, Penn Forest area. It's about 15-20 minutes from your family. Jim Thorpe School District is good and only getting better. My girls do very well there.

Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by Yac; 01-13-2007 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-26-2007, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 53,027 times
Default monroe county

thanx for the reply to my specific question about race relations in that area. It really helped a lot. does anyone have any hints on the market for teaching jobs on the elementary school level?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 AM

just wanted to know if skdoubler is any closre to deciding on their move to monreo and if so where?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 AM

sorry it took so long to say thank u for your insightful response to the race issue and flood question. It really helped a lot.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 57,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKDOUBLER View Post
Hi,
We are also considering relocating to Monroe county. We are looking into Brodheadsville, Effort, Kunkletown, Kresgeville and Saylorsburg in the Pleasant Valley school district.
We have relatives there, but would like other peoples opions of the area. We just want to make sure that the relatives are not just telling us good things about the area to get us closer to them.
We have 2 children ages 6 and 10, so we want an area that is good for them. We are relocating from Long Island to get away from the high cost of housing and the NY attitude of the people.
Any help would be appreciated.
I wouldn't take your relatives words for granted: The areas that you have discribed are just full of developments and is one of the fastest growing in the county.The cost of housing continues to climb as more and more (mostly newcomers from New York) move into the area .The Pleasent Valley School district has metal detectors at its entry doors (not a good sign in a supposedly rural setting) .As for the NY attitude it's alive and well and flourshing in the Valley...doesn't sound so pleasent anymore does it :

Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 PM

65 posts, read 318,893 times
Default Pike Or Monroe

I Move To Monroe County 9 Years Ago From Levittown , Long Island
I Have 3 Boys Ages 12, 8 And 5 . Monroe County Has Chaged Alot Since We Moved Here But Its Only Getting Better. My Address Is East Stroudsburg But Stroudsburg Schools. East Stroudsburg Taxes And Less Then Mine Because They Go To East Stroudsburg Schools. Pleasent Valley Is Cheeper Too But The Area Is Not A Built Up. Stroud Schools In My Eyes Is Still The Best School In The Area. 2 Of Them Are Brand New Building. The System Itself Has Alot To Offer. I Do Have Friends In All 3 Areas And With Kids In School. They Started Out In Stroudsburg And Left Because Of The Taxes And Now Want To Move Back Because Of The Schools. I Live In A Gated Community That I Love Being Here Gives Me And My Children The Best Of Everything.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
wjw

2 posts, read 4,795 times
There's a pretty good database on the Poconos, including links to recent local news stories.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...ategory=LIVING

It's all free. Hope you find it useful.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 30,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliame View Post
just wanted to know if skdoubler is any closre to deciding on their move to monreo and if so where?
We have decided on Pleasant Valley Schools. I hope we are making the right decision. We decided that because we want our children to be near family. From what I have researched, PV schools are pretty good. We have been up there visiting a lot and know the area better then the rest of the the areas up there. We don't really want to go into this blind. The thing troubling me is the crime rate. I can't seem to find out how the crime rate is there. I have been reading the pocono record online and yesterday there was a purse snatching and about a week ago the bank was robbed. Can someone please comment about the crime rate?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
Glad to see that you picked the Pleasant Valley School System..your children
will be better off there.....I used to live outside of East Stroudsburg and two
of my chiildren went to East STroudsburg Schools.....but the area has changed and sorry to say not for the better....I hope they turn it around again, but lately they have had some trouble with young "punks" that's the
only word to describe them....evidently there are a growing number that seems to be raising themselvess no evidence of parents around...anyway
that being said, the Poconos still has a lot to offer.....I do miss my home
sometimes...kids are grown and we downsized and moved out of state but
I go back twice a year and one son still lives in Pa...I liked it very much..it
was hard at first moving from N.J.. and despite what people might tell you
the "locals" really did not like the influx of people from N.J. and N.Y. but as
I told a group of them once at a meeting .."your neighbors sold the land
to developers who built houses and advertised in the metro areas of N.Y.
and N.J. and they didn't mind taking all the money they got for their land
and moving to Florida or wherever" you can't blame people for moving out
of the city to raise children...but I made a lot of friends there. You can't
stop progress and some of the older people would have liked to see the
area remain for the most part rural with a few vacation homes....there is a
lot of history in Pa...and take advantage of it especially now with the warmer
weather approaching......I used to love to take a ride to Jim Thorpe in the
summer and in the fall...and now the Yankees farm team has moved to
Scranton/Wilkes Barre at the PNC stadium at Moosic Mt. great games and
it's inexpensive...tickets are $9.00....not bad for a ball game right? sorry
I'm rambling.....Welcome to PA...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania