Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 PM

27 posts, read 98,729 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm interested in knowing what you think about Scranton. I heard on a radio that Scranton started to rebuild itself. Is this true?

Thx in advance.

Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,254,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in knowing what you think about Scranton. I heard on a radio that Scranton started to rebuild itself. Is this true?

Thx in advance.

Andy
Oh great! Yet another "how Scranton is doing thread" just what we need!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 PM

27 posts, read 98,729 times
What's wrong with my thread. If you answer anything I'll thank you. My familly helped establish the city in the first place. I have a right to ask about the health of it now.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
What's wrong with my thread. If you answer anything I'll thank you. My familly helped establish the city in the first place. I have a right to ask about the health of it now.
I'm sorry to come off crabby, but It seems that almost everyday someone post a similar post. It's like a broken record- the same people post positive post if they like it, and the same people write negative post if they don't like it. If you go back through some of the previous pages on this site I'm sure you'll find MORE THEN ENOUGH info on the current state of Scranton.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I'm sorry to come off crabby, but It seems that almost everyday someone post a similar post. It's like a broken record- the same people post positive post if they like it, and the same people write negative post if they don't like it. If you go back through some of the previous pages on this site I'm sure you'll find MORE THEN ENOUGH info on the current state of Scranton.
Here. I'll put a Scranton thread up for you that was three pages back.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,769,413 times
Scranton isn't doing good, just like the rest of the country, it's probably not going to do so good for a long time. Enought of that!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,066,921 times
Scranton is doing fine.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 PM

937 posts, read 2,881,184 times
Every city has it's good points and bad points. I think Scranton is a nice city. I am originally from Queens, NY and worked in NYC. I give Scranton a thumbs up.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:21 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,356,175 times
Scranton's a bit rough around the edges, but overall it's a great place to raise a family. I'm by no means an unintelligent person and have discriminating tastes, so if I see enough potential in Scranton to want to relocate there after college to start my life and eventually raise my family, then obviously there are SOME bright spots to be enjoyed.

Scranton's four major hurdles are the following:
  • Political Cronyism/Nepotism; Coupled With Apathetic Residents (Hence the "Sheep" Photos Everywhere)
  • Negativity: As You Can See On This Forum Even The BRIGHT Spots In The City Are Scrutinized And Ridiculed
  • Urban Sprawl. Most In NEPA Don't See This As Being a Major Problem, But As The Influx From NYC/NJ Quickens Its Pace In The Coming Years Scranton's Beautiful Countryside Is Threatened By Housing Developments, Big-Box Stores, Traffic, Etc.
  • Economic Despair: The Current Mayoral Administration Has Run Up a Long-Term Indebiture of $300,000,000+ For The Electric City. Couple That With The Second-Highest Unemployment Rate In PA, Low Median Household Incomes, Dearth of Skilled Job Opportunities, Scarcity of College Graduates, Etc., And You Have a Recipe For Financial Distress

While these may make most thumb their noses at the notion of moving to the city, there are also many positive qualities that shouldn't be overlooked (yet are by many on this forum for some odd reason).
  • Crime: Scranton Enjoys The Lowest Violent Crime Rate Out of The State's Largest Cities, And Property Crime Is Average. I Feel Perfectly Safe Strolling The Streets.
  • Cost-of-Living: Generally Speaking a Home Worth $500,000 in Northern New Jersey May Cost $250,000 in Scranton Or Its Suburbs. Most Other Costs (Gasoline, Utilities, Insurance, Etc.) Are Near National Averages, But We Were Recently Rated As Having The Nation's Fourth-Most Affordable Housing Market
  • Entertainment: For A City of 70,000 In a Metropolitan Region of 551,000, Scranton Enjoys a Wonderful Philharmonic, Cultural Centers, Theatres, AAA Minor-League Hockey (Penguins) and Baseball (Yankees), Arena Football, State Parks, Skiing, Whitewater Rafting, Etc. Right On Its Doorstep.
  • History/Heritage---Often Overlooked By Most Locals, Many Non-Natives Find Some of Scranton's Residential Neighborhoods, Especially Green Ridge and The Hill, To Be Immensely Attractive Due to Their Tree-Lined Streets And Historic Homes. Downtown Has Some Historic Treasures As Well, And Who Could Forget Steamtown, The Anthracite Heritage Museum, Iron Furnaces, Coal Mine Tour, Etc.
  • People: As I Said Scrantonians Are Most Certainly Gruffy And Rough Around The Edges, But They'll Be The First To Give You The Shirt Off Their Backs During a Crisis. Charity Benefit Dinners, Block Parties, Benefit Walks/Runs, Etc. Are Quite Commonplace.
  • Location---Even Scranton's Faults Can Be Mitigated Due To Its Close Proximity Of Just Two Hours To Either NYC or Philadelphia.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:54 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,636,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Oh great! Yet another "how Scranton is doing thread" just what we need!
I know what you mean. I better stay out of this one. You know the old adage, " If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". I'm actually tiring at bashing Scranton. It's never going to change, so why should I bother or care anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania