Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:31 AM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times

Advertisements

I do not agree with everything the government thinks is right. I myself feel that SMOKERS have to get a grip and realize that you are now outnumbered by many facts and people. Stop whinning and deal with it.

Nobody has held a gun to my head. Has anybody held guns to smoker's heads? Smoke where you can only hurt yourself and others that agree with you. I posted this thread when I heard the news, it is now signed by the Governor and it's happening. You will see in the end it's good for everyone. If a restaurant is a private establishment then I guess only the people that the owner wants in there is allowed. geez! come on now, give me a break. If a restaurant is a private place, then I guess the smokers aren't going to be invited anymore!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM

15 posts, read 34,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Actually whether or not its a publicly funded park, that sort of behavior is illegal. Likewise, my yard may be my private property, but I can't walk around my yard in the nude. Should that be allowed as well? Should my kids be exposed to my next door neighbors walking around their yards buck naked while they play in the yard? I don't think so. There are some laws, even laws that may apply to private property, that are for the greater public good. The only way you can be consistent and not a hypocrite with your opposition to a smoking ban is if you're an anarchist. But the reality is, you're venting about laws that restrict something you like to do, so you're complaining. I'm sure some nudists would also like to be able to walk around their yards and around town nude, but they can't.
BUT, nudists may open their own business that will accommodate them. Owned by nudists, operated by nudists and patronized by nudists and their friends.
If a law restricted something you liked to do, that was legal recently, we would be supporting you.
There is a risk spectators can be harmed at sporting events, ban them. There is a risk of crashing on the roadway,ban cars. There is a risk of many things. Risk alone causes nothing.
If our ancestors were afraid of every little thing, we would not be here.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefreeman View Post
There is a risk spectators can be harmed at sporting events, ban them. There is a risk of crashing on the roadway,ban cars. There is a risk of many things. Risk alone causes nothing.
If our ancestors were afraid of every little thing, we would not be here.

But there is a point to all of those activities. There is a point to driving...it gets us to where we need to go. There is absolutely no point to smoking....its a drug addiction with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Wink I guess I made my feelings known!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
...and with that my adoptive disciplinarian auntie puts her foot down! Good job!
Gosh, I can't believe how much attention this thread has gotten. Maybe we will have it closed, or BANNED!!!! LOL

Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I just thought of great analogy myself that you poop park brought to mind.

The Big City Dweller (non-smoker) moves to his new home out in country next to the framer (smoker) only to wake up one morning to a awful smell that permeates everything. That smell is the farmer fertilizing his fields with manure(Smoke). Then the big city dweller has the audacity to complain about it. LOL

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
If a restaurant is a private establishment then I guess only the people that the owner wants in there is allowed
Correct, there is no law that says he has to allow you in the front door, serve you or do anything for you. If he tells you to leave and you don't you're trespassing.

Quote:
Maybe we will have it closed, or BANNED!!!!
What's the matter you want to stop me from speaking my mind as well?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Default at least that's natural!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I just thought of great analogy myself that you poop park brought to mind.

The Big City Dweller (non-smoker) moves to his new home out in country next to the framer (smoker) only to wake up one morning to a awful smell that permeates everything. That smell is the farmer fertilizing his fields with manure(Smoke). Then the big city dweller has the audacity to complain about it. LOL
That smell is not going to kill you! Maybe you will have to close the windows for a while, but at least it's a country smell. Alot of Big City Dwellers have smelled things worse than that...especially cigarette smoke!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
That smell is not going to kill you! Maybe you will have to close the windows for a while, but at least it's a country smell. Alot of Big City Dwellers have smelled things worse than that...especially cigarette smoke!
You've missed the point entirely again, the fact that they guy from the city has complaint at all is the problem. He like you the non smoker should not have put himself in that environment if he didn't want to be there.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Cool It seems that you have a complaint problem about city people

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You've missed the point entirely again, the fact that they guy from the city has complaint at all is the problem. He like you the non smoker should not have put himself in that environment if he didn't want to be there.

It seems that country people do a good job of complaining enough for everyone.
They don't seem to like the idea that people from the city are moving out to the country. It's happening and they will eventually see that not everybody from a city is bad. You have the freedom to speak your mind. But so do people that disagree with you.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM

I don't know where you come off thinking I don't like people from the city. Firstly FYI I don't live in the country, I live in a borough in the Valley. Secondly most rural folk are the nicest people you are ever going to meet however its not going to go over too well if someone moves in next to them and expects them to change their lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania