Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
I don't think smokers are dirtbags. I used to smoke as well as many of the people in my family.

I don't think all smokers are dirtbags either. But, it seems that just about all dirtbags smoke. "Dirtbags" are just more likely to become smokers and never quit. I used to smoke as well, and that's why I hate it so much, I know what its like to be a slave to the smokes, even when I wanted to quit. It took becoming a father before I had the will power to give it up for good. I was, at least, a considerate smoker.... smoked outside, I didn't litter my butts on the ground, and I went out of my way to keep it away from others, (unlike some idiots who stand just outside entrances to stores and puff away, forcing everyone who enters to go through a smokescreen). To be honest, in my later days of smoking, I was ashamed of it and went out of my way to hide it.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:22 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
Default Ditto on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I don't think all smokers are dirtbags either. But, it seems that just about all dirtbags smoke. "Dirtbags" are just more likely to become smokers and never quit. I used to smoke as well, and that's why I hate it so much, I know what its like to be a slave to the smokes, even when I wanted to quit. It took becoming a father before I had the will power to give it up for good. I was, at least, a considerate smoker.... smoked outside, I didn't litter my butts on the ground, and I went out of my way to keep it away from others, (unlike some idiots who stand just outside entrances to stores and puff away, forcing everyone who enters to go through a smokescreen). To be honest, in my later days of smoking, I was ashamed of it and went out of my way to hide it.
When our first child was born and he was about 4 years old, he complained that the smoke made him choke.. we stopped smoking!
I also don't like when people light up and just blow the smoke towards us and could care less... some of the smokers even do it intentionally, I believe. They sit there with a smirk on their faces as they puff away. I am so glad this is going to stop.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:00 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well from my firsthand experience I can safely say that the Republicans have already done a great job at diverting everyone's attention away from the REAL probems at hand (impending recession, quagmire in Iraq, rising energy prices, urban sprawl, falling value of U.S. currency, destruction of U.S. credibility with our allies, etc.) in order to focus on "Adam and Steve." Apparently the "whiners" have realized that they can't fix any REAL problems, so they're instead focusing on destroying civil rights.
I'm a born US citizen but have to admit SO SADLY:

Overall this country can't get out of its own way because of the US "gubberment".

We are SO behind in a lot of things/aspects compared to other countries.

I think that this Smoking Ban bill for PA is great and about time!

But there's too many other BS laws in this country which are either excessive or antiquated and does nothing but holdup progress in more ways than one.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:21 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
I just think it is a nasty habit and if people want to kill themselves fine, but don't inflict your vile habit on others who do not wish to inhale that garbage. Smoking doesn't make you a dirtbag or a bad person, it's just a weakness many people have and they should look at themselves and try to quit for their own health and the health of others.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
I don't smoke and it bothers me when i'm around it, but i'm pretty sick of tired of being told what we can and can't do, like the seat belts, if an adult doesn't want to wear one that's his business. Yes, children should be in car seats and seat belts, but i resent being forced to wear one. They are taking away our rights one by one and i've had enough of it. They don't want smoking, then ban the damn things all together, but no we won't do that, they are a billion dollar industry. Please already!!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:30 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,513 times
Default Trickle down...

In all due respect --- its the trickle down affect from not wearing a seatbelt that can be harmful. Suppose your child needs an ambulance and the local rural ambulance is out helping a person who put there
nose through a windshield because they refused to wear a seatbelt ??? !!!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley19 View Post
It is "my choice" to smoke but do not downgrade me because of my habit.
You have a disgusting habit.

But yes, I do judge you for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Yes, children should be in car seats and seat belts, but i resent being forced to wear one. They are taking away our rights one by one and i've had enough of it. They don't want smoking, then ban the damn things all together, but no we won't do that, they are a billion dollar industry. Please already!!
1. *I* resent increased health insurance premiums for your not wearing a seatbelt and getting injured as a result. We don't live in a vacuum or on an island; your actions affect other people as well. Laws that mandate seatbelt use aren't just paternalistic; they make health care cheaper.

2. There is no "right" to smoke.

3. "All or nothing" makes no sense whatsover. Public smoking bans are perfectly reasonable. They allow people to smoke where they will pose less of a problem for other people. You don't need to make smoking completely unlawful in order to do that.

Last edited by The Commish; 06-11-2008 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 04:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
I fail to see why anyone would be happy about this, not only are you trampling on the rights of smokers but more importantly you're trampling on the rights of private business's to make these decisions themselves. It's a public establishment, it's not public property.

Now before anyone goes flying off the handle about their rights to smoke free air, you already have it. There is no law that says you have to frequent establishments that allow smoking nor is there a law that says a private establishment has to allow people to smoke.

Quote:
1. *I* resent increased health insurance premiums for your not wearing a seatbelt and getting injured as a result. We don't live in a vacuum or on an island; your actions affect other people as well. Laws that mandate seatbelt use aren't just paternalistic; they make health care cheaper.
So maybe we should all live in plastic bubble? Walking down the street is quite a dangerous practice as are many other activities and habits that humans have. Are we deny the healthiest people in the world health insurance because the activities they engage in are dangerous? What about the guy eating Mcdonalds 24/7? Where do we draw the line and who's rights mean the least amount?

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-12-2008 at 04:49 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 06:55 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I fail to see why anyone would be happy about this, not only are you trampling on the rights of smokers but more importantly you're trampling on the rights of private business's to make these decisions themselves. It's a public establishment, it's not public property.
There is no "right" to smoke.

And yes, this is a law, so it does remove the discretion of private business owners to make that decision for themselves.

Most people think that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
So maybe we should all live in plastic bubble? Walking down the street is quite a dangerous practice as are many other activities and habits that humans have. Are we deny the healthiest people in the world health insurance because the activities they engage in are dangerous? What about the guy eating Mcdonalds 24/7? Where do we draw the line and who's rights mean the least amount?
Because clearly the only other choice besides "mandating seatbelt use" is "living in a plastic bubble."

No one's talking about denying anyone health insurance (unless you're John McCain. *zing*). The cost of injuries resulting from failing to wear a seatbelt is merely one rationale for the law. I think it makes sense, and the only people who object to it are the petulant "I don't want no guvment telling me what ta do" type.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
There is no "right" to smoke.

And yes, this is a law, so it does remove the discretion of private business owners to make that decision for themselves.

Most people think that's a good thing.
Following that argument you have no "right" to smoke free air.

Why should your rights supercede those of the person that owns an establishment? He/she is the one footing the bill and taking the risk on the business, and again you don't have to go into such an establishment if you don't want to. This is really the main point that I have an issue with. As it stands prior to this the businessman, smoker and non-smoker all had a choice. This law takes away the rights of the owners to decide for themselves how to run their business.

Although I'm sure many non-smokers think this is the greatest idea since sliced bread the businessmen that own these establishments obviously think its a bad idea, otherwise there would be numerous non-smoking establishments now. If its such a great idea maybe you should go open a non-smoking establishment since many bars/clubs will be able to get under the 20% food limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania