Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM

138 posts, read 369,562 times

Advertisements

Hi !

I was thinking was there any good business to open in PA? I was thinking of diner or bakery off of RT 115? What does anyone think? There is a place on the intersection of RT 115 & RT 903 that would be perfect. It appears that it was an old motel & restaurant but it's getting demolished (so I think it is).

Let me know what you think.

Acevaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 01:00 PM

90 posts, read 248,557 times
open up a good pizza place in Clarks Summit

Old 06-11-2008, 01:16 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
If you know some folks who can pool their resources to provide you with some start-up capital, and you're into franchising, I think opening a Sonic on one of the outparcels in the upcoming Pittston Crossings project would be a cash cow for certain. Probably 150,000 vehicles per day pass by this site on Highway 315, I-81, and I-476, and the Greater Pittston area is ideally located just 15 minutes from either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. I'm sure many folks in Scranton on this forum would make the pilgrimage down 81 to Pittston to try out Sonic; the parking lot would have to be pretty large!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,844 times
We really could use a good bagel shop in Tunkhannock and even a REAL Italian restaurant that cooks authentic Italiano..

Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
As you can see...

ANYTHING that involves food will be a winner in these parts.

Just DO NOT try to make a go of:
  • health food store
  • exercise facility
  • MENSA club

Old 06-11-2008, 01:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
I was going to open a NJ style hot dog stand, but the land I was counting on fell through. I found an old trolley car near reading and thought it would have been perfect to modify for use; HGTV had even expressed interest to the trolley's owner to film it's relocation. I was going to pretty much copy places like Hot Dog Johnny's in NJ, all they do is fry skinless dogs in peanut oil. The trolley theme would have been great for buisness, think of the free advertisement you'd get if you brought an authentic trolley car in by helicopter! If you want more details feel free to contact me.
http://pabungalow.com/Trolley/New_00.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
As you can see...

ANYTHING that involves food will be a winner in these parts.

Just DO NOT try to make a go of:
  • health food store
  • exercise facility
  • MENSA club
Very funny. I disagree with your first bullet point though because I patronize Everything Natural in Clarks Summit quite a bit, and they seem to do a steady business. As we saw with my popular "chain" thread I believe a Whole Foods was second place on NEPA's wish-list behind Ikea. Will we ever see either? I doubt it. Ikea? Not at all likely. Whole Foods? It's possible in about ten years if Scranton ever emerges from its current identity crisis as a hippie/yuppie haven that a developer will bring one downtown with lofts overhead. I can also potentially see one coming to Stroudsburg if the rate of growth there continues, especially now that there are far more NJ/NY transplants living there than PA natives.

P.S. I know of at least one MENSA member, so I'm sure there must be a chapter around here.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Luna, that sounds like an awesome idea! Where do you think you would have established yourself? One of my biggest complaints about Nay Aug Park is that not only does the park not have a snack bar, but there's not even really any restaurants within easy walking distance (even Mansour's Cafe is a bit of a hike on a hot day). Several friends and I went to Wegman's last summer and purchased some food to enjoy a nice picnic lunch at Nay Aug Park, but we would have much preferred to just grab a chili dog at a vendor nearby. Does Scranton have a ban on food vendors with pushcarts? If not, then why aren't they around town? Binghamton even has them, and Lord knows we're a hell of a lot trendier than Bingo!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:02 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I disagree with your first bullet point though because I patronize Everything Natural in Clarks Summit quite a bit, and they seem to do a steady business.
Quote:
P.S. I know of at least one MENSA member, so I'm sure there must be a chapter around here.
Methinks thou dost damn with faint praise.

ONE natural food store. ONE MENSA member. Hmmm...

In the short (17 years) time I've lived here, I've known of 5 natural food stores that have opened then closed in a few short years. Exercise facilities are adding more and more non-exercise junk to draw in members, at rates that can barely pay the overhead.

My MENSA remark was made solely upon my judgement of my fellow daily drivers.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Luna, that sounds like an awesome idea! Where do you think you would have established yourself? One of my biggest complaints about Nay Aug Park is that not only does the park not have a snack bar, but there's not even really any restaurants within easy walking distance (even Mansour's Cafe is a bit of a hike on a hot day). Several friends and I went to Wegman's last summer and purchased some food to enjoy a nice picnic lunch at Nay Aug Park, but we would have much preferred to just grab a chili dog at a vendor nearby. Does Scranton have a ban on food vendors with pushcarts? If not, then why aren't they around town? Binghamton even has them, and Lord knows we're a hell of a lot trendier than Bingo!
There is no ban on push carts in the city, but there is most likely a some sort of licence or fee required. There have been several hotdog carts on courthouse square over the years, and there has even been one at nay aug recently, 'All-American Dogs' or something like that; the gentleman had been at the end of Lacakwanna Ave. for a few weeks but must have decided to move. There is also one on a regular basis on the corner of Wyoming and Lack.
I don't want to go into too much detail as to what location I was going to use, but I will say it was on a main road with a lot of traffic, and I felt it was a perfect spot. It was also near the path of the old Laurel Line, which was what I was going to call the place. The trolley car, besides the free advertisement aspect, would have provided limited seating and allowed year-round access. The concept was a simple menu; good food, at a low price. Canned crystal soda a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania