U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 AM

330 posts, read 1,884,813 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone send us the links to the major newspapers for Monroe County & Pike County where we can check for job listings? or do most people cross the border to NJ for work? How far of a commute is that?

How far of a distance is Monroe County to Pike County? and are there any major stores in those areas like Target, Super Walmart, Kmart, Bestbuy and what about malls?

Sorry for all the questions - but what about property taxes? Are they low - like under 5K a year?

Do you get a lot of snow? I'm guessing probably since it's close to the Poconos. I'm originally from LI but haven't lived there in 10 years. I do remember bad winters and I'm trying to compare that to those areas. I now live in Vegas where there's no snow! ha.

thanks for your input. Appreciate it very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM

6,045 posts, read 22,797,775 times
It appears that the Pike County newspapers may not have an internet presence.
http://www.pikechamber.com/relocationgeneralinfo.html (broken link)

Old 01-10-2007, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 19,634 times
Default Pike newspapers

I live in Pike County and we have two papers. One that is free, and they have a website here

http://www.strausnews.com/pike_county_courier/ (broken link)

The other newspaper is published weekly and it's called the Pike County Dispatch. They have want ads listed. No website though. You could always give them a call or pick a paper up if you are in the area.

The Pike County Dispatch

105 West Catherine Street

Milford, Pennsylvania 18337

570-296-6641

Hope this helps!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:50 AM

31,573 posts, read 71,637,420 times
There's also the Pocono Record and the Scranton Times-Tribune:
http://www.poconorecord.com
http://www.scrantontimes.com

Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM

330 posts, read 1,884,813 times
Default Monroe County & Pike County newspapers

Thank you for those links!

But do most of the residents of Monroe & Pike County travel out of state for work? If so where do the majority of people travel to?

And in general is there alot of employment in Monroe or Pike County?

Finally, how much snowfall in inches does Monroe county average per year?

Thank you

Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 PM

31,573 posts, read 71,637,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Thank you for those links!

But do most of the residents of Monroe & Pike County travel out of state for work? If so where do the majority of people travel to?

And in general is there alot of employment in Monroe or Pike County?

Finally, how much snowfall in inches does Monroe county average per year?

Thank you
Residents in Monroe County and Pike County have among the lengthiest average commuting times in the nation, as most residents do head to NYC or at least North Jersey to work. Great jobs aren't plentiful in the Poconos---the only two large-scale "quality" employers I can rattle off in Monroe County are Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals in Swiftwater and the Tobyhanna Army Depot. Other than that, there are other companies here, such as a Wal-Mart Distribution Center, The Crossings Premium Outlets, etc. that offer stable positions, but most residents commute out-of-state to work, with a few commuting the opposite direction to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

However, with the new "Wall Street West" movement, in which NYC financial firms are being encouraged to establish satellite locations in Northeastern PA in the event of another terrorist attack in Manhattan, I foresee great things coming to Monroe County in terms of employment in the future.

Also, in general, Monroe County averages roughly 50 inches or so of snow per year, with lesser amounts in the Stroudsburg area and greater amounts in the Tobyhanna/Blakeslee/Mt. Pocono areas. So far this winter, we've had a whopping INCH of snow from a few snow showers, so this may go down as being the worst winter on record, in my opinion, if we don't start getting some great Nor'easters soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania