Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else as disgusted as I am about the story of how an elderly widow's urn of her late-husband's ashes was swiped right out of her car while it was in the KMart parking lot near Honesdale? My eyes were tearing up as I was watching this story. You share many, many years with someone, have them cremated, and then cling to their urn only to have someone steal it. Why? What is wrong with people today?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Is anyone else as disgusted as I am about the story of how an elderly widow's urn of her late-husband's ashes was swiped right out of her car while it was in the KMart parking lot near Honesdale? My eyes were tearing up as I was watching this story. You share many, many years with someone, have them cremated, and then cling to their urn only to have someone steal it. Why? What is wrong with people today?!
Being from Wilkes-Barre, I've heard of about every kind of crime imaginable,... but that's a first. Why would someone want to steal that? And what on earth do they plan on doing with it? They probably just opened the door and grabbed the first thing they saw. Hopefully, the person will do the right thing and anonomusly return it. My truck just got broken into last week. I never keep anything of value in it, but they still ripped open my glove compartment and threw everything all over the place. It was a disaster the next day. Probably punks looking for drug money!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
People are so messed up

Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Paul - Believe it or not, there are some people who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a funeral urn and a Ming Vase and might believe they had the latter. Obviously not Carnegie-Mellon grads if you catch my drift. I do hope that 60 years from now though, you won't be driving around town with your significant other's cremains rolling under the front seat. I doubt he'd approve, whoever he may turn out to be. Or if you do, at least head for a better class of store! I'd come back from the dead and "haunt" you if you "lost" me at a Walmart or K-Mart. Like your blog BTW!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
From what I understand the woman had the urn sitting in a shopping bag in plain sight in an unlocked car while she shopped at the K-Mart store and returned later to find the bag missing. Folks, Honesdale, Tunkhannock, Montrose, Clarks Summit, etc. may seem like idyllic, bucolic, friendly towns, but as with the rest of NEPA they all also have a rapidly growing drug problem. Leaving your doors unlocked is just a recipe for some junkie down on their luck to skulk around vehicles jimmying handles until they get lucky and find some poor ******* like this elderly woman who apparently didn't think she "needed" to lock her car door. I learned this lesson the hard way back in high school when I returned to the locker room after gym class to find that the contents of my wallet, which were in the left pocket of my jeans inside of an unlocked locker, were stolen. I lost over $100 that I had in there because I had been planning to drive straight to Scranton right after school that day to rent my tuxedo for prom up at Sarno & Son. Instead I approached our school's office to file a report and was scolded myself for being to blame for not having my locker locked. Surely I should have not put myself in such prime condition to be the victim of theft, but one would assume that the school district would have done something to try to investigate----perhaps call the Laflin police to file a report? No community, no matter how Mayberry-like (Honesdale) or upscale (Waverly) is immune to crime.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
From what I understand the woman had the urn sitting in a shopping bag in plain sight in an unlocked car while she shopped at the K-Mart store and returned later to find the bag missing. Folks, Honesdale, Tunkhannock, Montrose, Clarks Summit, etc. may seem like idyllic, bucolic, friendly towns, but as with the rest of NEPA they all also have a rapidly growing drug problem. Leaving your doors unlocked is just a recipe for some junkie down on their luck to skulk around vehicles jimmying handles until they get lucky and find some poor ******* like this elderly woman who apparently didn't think she "needed" to lock her car door. I learned this lesson the hard way back in high school when I returned to the locker room after gym class to find that the contents of my wallet, which were in the left pocket of my jeans inside of an unlocked locker, were stolen. I lost over $100 that I had in there because I had been planning to drive straight to Scranton right after school that day to rent my tuxedo for prom up at Sarno & Son. Instead I approached our school's office to file a report and was scolded myself for being to blame for not having my locker locked. Surely I should have not put myself in such prime condition to be the victim of theft, but one would assume that the school district would have done something to try to investigate----perhaps call the Laflin police to file a report? No community, no matter how Mayberry-like (Honesdale) or upscale (Waverly) is immune to crime.
I hate to say it, but leaving your car unlocked and expecting everything to be there when you get back, went out of style in the 1930's. I too lost a wallet in HS but I had forgotten to snap tight one of those cheap Masterlocks they gave us and it was open and the wallet gone when I got back. Live and Learn! Schools don't give a crap about stuff taken from students! I think they believe getting robbed somehow teaches you a valuable lesson. When I first read Stephen King's novella "Rage" which pre-dates "Columbine", I think I identified with the main character who "takes out" a few people. It was my secret High School fantasy!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Probably stolen for the metal. I would hope the person didn't know what it was but drug addicts have no conscience.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,877 times
Quote:
Really sad!!!

Down here now there's people who are stealing bronze objects (statues, urns, plaques, etc.) from cemetaries & churches to sell for scrap metal!! The only consolation is that great gift of karma...it always comes back in some shape or form....

There really are some nutjobs out there for sure, but I just can't grasp how someone could stoop so low!!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Very sad story. It speaks volumes about the way our society in general is going. Straight down the toilet.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Someone just stole an air conditioner weighing tons, from a West End Restaurant.........
I guess we have to bolt things down now........big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania