Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times

Advertisements

Is that ever going to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
If it's any consolation the Pittston Crossings project still has "Coming Spring 2007" on the sign along Highway 315. You have to love NEPA, where not only do projects like the Hotel Sterling take ten years to get off the ground, but also just building a simple box like Wal-Mart does as well due to all of the red tape! LOL!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Is that ever going to happen?

They've been clearing the land and leveling it out for quite a while now. Its happening, but I don't think it will be open until at least next year.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:01 PM

203 posts, read 577,278 times
The land leveling has slowed considrably since they were ordered to stop the blasting (too much carbon monoxide leaching into homes.) My neighbor works for Leeward, who will be doing the concrete work, and they aren't scheduled to start their work until at least the end of summer.
We live less than a block from the work & I'm starting to get used to all of the noise, but not the dust.
I do think it's funny that they didn't start work until after their "scheduled opening date spring 2007."
Ugh, the traffic!! I thought novena was bad!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Why does it seem like projects in this area take so long to get off the ground and get completed? The Fidelity Bank on Luzerne St. and Main Ave, in West Scranton, seems like construction of that has been going on forever and it still isn't completed. The Jays Common Complex on Main and Lackawanna was started and is taking so long to get done. I mean what gives here? These are not skyscrapers, they're little buildings that should of been done a long time ago. The Wal-Mart in Taylor that was mentioned, you can expect that to be completed by the next Ice Age. Gotta love it!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Why does it seem like projects in this area take so long to get off the ground and get completed? The Fidelity Bank on Luzerne St. and Main Ave, in West Scranton, seems like construction of that has been going on forever and it still isn't completed. The Jays Common Complex on Main and Lackawanna was started and is taking so long to get done. I mean what gives here? These are not skyscrapers, they're little buildings that should of been done a long time ago. The Wal-Mart in Taylor that was mentioned, you can expect that to be completed by the next Ice Age. Gotta love it!
How many years was the lot on Main & Luzerne vacant?
Supposedly they tore down that beautiful church to put in a Sheetz & something happened. Then it was another year or more until the sign for the bank went up & another year until building was underway. Sheesh, it's not even an attractive building either, different.
The Mannings ice cream place will probably be done in time for winter...the best time to open one ya know!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:30 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonWest View Post
How many years was the lot on Main & Luzerne vacant?
Supposedly they tore down that beautiful church to put in a Sheetz & something happened. Then it was another year or more until the sign for the bank went up & another year until building was underway. Sheesh, it's not even an attractive building either, different.
The Mannings ice cream place will probably be done in time for winter...the best time to open one ya know!
Totally agree. They tore down that church I believe in the summer of 2004. It was a beautiful church. This new building looks like a ski jump. I don't think another bank was really needed in that location, especially since it's taking this long.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Totally agree. They tore down that church I believe in the summer of 2004. It was a beautiful church. This new building looks like a ski jump. I don't think another bank was really needed in that location, especially since it's taking this long.
Yep, we need another bank like another drug store.
My husband & I have been betting on how long it will take some stupid kids to try to skateboard on the roof.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I can rattle off dozens of local projects that have all taken years upon years to show any signs of progress while these very same projects would be completed within six months in any other part of the nation.
  • Hotel Sterling, Wilkes-Barre: WTF?
  • Pittston Crossings, Pittston Township
  • Widening of I-81, Lackawanna/Luzerne Counties
  • Commuter Rail, Scranton to Hoboken, NJ
  • Connell Building, Scranton
  • Jefferson Pointe, Scranton
  • St. Peter's Square, Scranton
  • Renaissance at 500, Scranton
  • Sixth Avenue Redevelopment, Scranton
  • Murray Complex, Wilkes-Barre
  • Pittston Waterfront Condo Towers, Pittston
  • Taylor Commons, Taylor
  • CenterPoint, Pittston Township
  • Pioneer Square, Carbondale

I really don't want to continue any further because the more I see all of this lost potential the more I get depressed.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
That new bank is ugly as sin. It looks like it was designed by George Jetson....that's also the way I feel about the Scranton High School building. Wacky futuristic Star Trek architecture that sticks out like a sore thumb in a city with a lot of nice older buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania