Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times

Advertisements

I take the dog on a walk twice a day through the heights and on nice days I pass so many down to earth nice people who say hello or try to stop with their dog if our dogs will get along LOL. People sitting on their porches who recognize me will wave and the Mayflower park is full of kids having fun.

Even the more disheveled looking will say hello and make small talk, albeit laced with some bad english but friendly nonetheless.

When I see this I can't understand the negatives I hear about Wilkes Barre. I just read an article how Wilkes Barre went 2 days over 1 year without a homicide. Yes there was a murder but check out how many even Allentown had all year and forget about checking Philly or New York.

This is a nice laid back area that will continue to grow. We just need to focus on upping the police force to keep the crime low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
It's lovely when strangers acknowledge other strangers.

For work (not in NEPA), I park in a very poor, predominantly hispanic and black neighborhood (I am neither) and walk across a bridge to my workplace. Not only are all of the people I pass on the street strangers, but also there's that whole racial component which can sometimes get in the way of things. But you know a good number of people say hello or are responsive to my greetings. So it's nice, you know?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
It's lovely when strangers acknowledge other strangers.

For work (not in NEPA), I park in a very poor, predominantly hispanic and black neighborhood (I am neither) and walk across a bridge to my workplace. Not only are all of the people I pass on the street strangers, but also there's that whole racial component which can sometimes get in the way of things. But you know a good number of people say hello or are responsive to my greetings. So it's nice, you know?
Thank you for reaffirming that we all are just part of society and there is no need to be afraid of one another. Sure, there are jerks out there that want to cause trouble but letting it stop the rest of us from interacting with society is not the answer.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Wilkes-Barre has come a tremendous way in the last five years. One murder in a year may be a new record low (for homicide) in Wilkes-Barre. Crime is down and the police force is up. Kudos to Mayor Leighton and the W-B police, for a job well done. To all the naysayers that haven't been to The Diamond City in a few years. You should come down and see for yourselves' the improvements that have been made. You'll be surprised at what you see.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Wilkes-Barre has come a tremendous way in the last five years. One murder in a year may be a new record low (for homicide) in Wilkes-Barre. Crime is down and the police force is up. Kudos to Mayor Leighton and the W-B police, for a job well done. To all the naysayers that haven't been to The Diamond City in a few years. You should come down and see for yourselves' the improvements that have been made. You'll be surprised at what you see.
Totally agreed and virtual rep to you since I can't.

I guess I should email a Mod such as CoArtist to find out about the reputation stuff.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Totally agreed and virtual rep to you since I can't.

I guess I should email a Mod such as CoArtist to find out about the reputation stuff.
You need to spread reputation around to others first before being able to rep the same person twice. This was done because too many idiots were having "repping games" on other parts of this forum that were basically threads that went like "You should rep me." "Good!" "Now I'll rep you!" "Good!" "Tee-Hee!" That's why some people who rarely post on state forums have such astronomically high reputations while some of us that haunt state forums like crazy have relatively low ones.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You need to spread reputation around to others first before being able to rep the same person twice. This was done because too many idiots were having "repping games" on other parts of this forum that were basically threads that went like "You should rep me." "Good!" "Now I'll rep you!" "Good!" "Tee-Hee!" That's why some people who rarely post on state forums have such astronomically high reputations while some of us that haunt state forums like crazy have relatively low ones.
LOL, It sucks that fun and games has taken away from being able to recognize another's contributions.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I take the dog on a walk twice a day through the heights and on nice days I pass so many down to earth nice people who say hello or try to stop with their dog if our dogs will get along LOL. People sitting on their porches who recognize me will wave and the Mayflower park is full of kids having fun.

Even the more disheveled looking will say hello and make small talk, albeit laced with some bad english but friendly nonetheless.

When I see this I can't understand the negatives I hear about Wilkes Barre. I just read an article how Wilkes Barre went 2 days over 1 year without a homicide. Yes there was a murder but check out how many even Allentown had all year and forget about checking Philly or New York.

This is a nice laid back area that will continue to grow. We just need to focus on upping the police force to keep the crime low.
I agree...that's what I like about Scranton as well, and I'm sure Wilkes-Barre is pretty much the same. I only work in W-B, so I don't really have much of a feel for its neighborhoods.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
People in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are just a different "breed" of people I suppose. As noted in another thread I was not at all impressed by the openness or friendliness of people in the Stroudsburgs, most of whom would not return my greetings on the sidewalk or even acknowledge my presence for that matter. I'm sure there are great things to love about Monroe County, but the people just seem so much more insular and introverted than people in Lackawanna/Luzerne Counties. As we just saw with TheHighHat's thread about the lack of cordiality of her former neighbors in her old subdivision, Pike County is also seeing some of that "city attitude" making its way on in as well. I love NJ and NY, but a number of the people moving here from there aren't exactly the most perky and uplifting types. I don't ask for much. What I DO expect though is that if I'm jogging down the sidewalk and say "Good morning" to you as I pass by that you at least smile or nod your head or something as a sign of affirmation.

Lewisburg made me nearly wet my pants in giddiness in that not only did people often beat me to be the first to greet me as we passed one another, but a few even struck up conversations with me. I don't even get that in Scranton, which I think is a fairly-friendly city. I hate to become the forum's official "Stroudsburg-basher," but why are those townspeople not as friendly and perky around strangers?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-25-2008 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: Typo---I Just Worked a 10.5-hour shift---cut me some slack! LOL!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 AM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post

Actually the family and I are checking out that city and harrisburg next month as potential places to move to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania