Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM

253 posts, read 993,519 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up - a real eye-opener.

Hey Roxxy - Looks like your Pleasant Valley Builder (D&D) is the one we will consider when the time comes around. Consider yourself lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 PM

936 posts, read 2,387,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Thanks for the heads up - a real eye-opener.

Hey Roxxy - Looks like your Pleasant Valley Builder (D&D) is the one we will consider when the time comes around. Consider yourself lucky.
This is a great website!! It helps people not make mistakes by asking simple questions and getting answers from others. We are totally happy with D & D. Whenever there is something wrong (and its usually something minor) they come right over and fix it. We had a socket that wasnt working, that type of problem. Everything else seems perfect.

Bagldot when your ready to build you will be very happy with them. Anyone that I have talked to are also happy with their workmanship. They are now selling their model with the land at a cheaper price. They want to put up a different model.

When you do decide to call Debbie mention that I reccommended them. I told her that I put a good word out for her company.
good luck,
roxy

Old 10-28-2008, 10:40 PM

Thanks Roxxy, I'll certainly pass along the recommendation. We have it narrowed down to 3 modular manufacturers, with PV being at the top of that list. Still considering where to put it though - hoping to have land in February or March at the latest. Hopefully D&D will be able to build in the area that we choose.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Thanks Roxxy, I'll certainly pass along the recommendation. We have it narrowed down to 3 modular manufacturers, with PV being at the top of that list. Still considering where to put it though - hoping to have land in February or March at the latest. Hopefully D&D will be able to build in the area that we choose.
Where are you planning on building??? I know you told me but I have the beginings of alzheimers.....

Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 PM

We like Tink-Wig because the lots are larger, looking for a couple of acres, and then we liked Tanglewood North too, but they don't have many over an acre. I was intrigued to hear that Tanglewood ski is going to open this year, this could be interesting to live by a ski lodge. Even though we don't ski (and belive me at our age, not going to start) it would give us something to watch and a ski lodge might be a nice place to get together with friends. We also like Hidden Lake Estates, but land is priced too high for us, unless we fall into a bargain there.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM

24 posts, read 83,380 times
I went to D&D's open house a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked when they told me that a model I was interested in cost $100,000 more than the quote I was given by Shorten Homes! Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:31 PM

We used to go to Shorten's to look at their models, they certainly have enought of them to look at, and great to get ideas. However, do a search on this website of Shorten and you'll find out some more details about them. I have had no first hand experience with them, but you might want to hear feedback from others who've dealt with them. It sounds like they've gone downhill over the past few years once the original owner turned the company over to the next generation.

Also, be aware of what you're comparing, what each builder will include. For that $100K, are they both offering the same services ... foundation, lot clearing, finish work, etc.

Just keep doing your homework.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePAMover View Post
I went to D&D's open house a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked when they told me that a model I was interested in cost $100,000 more than the quote I was given by Shorten Homes! Has anyone else experienced this?

When you go to Shorten you are getting just the model. They are not including the price of the foundation, land and anything else that has to do with the house like the garage, porch, deck and even steps arent included. Be careful with shorten. You can save money but you have to do all the contracting or hire someone else to do it. I didnt like Shorten because they didnt return my numerous calls, and I was interested in buying a home. I figured if they are not answering now what will happen when I do purchase a home from them.

When you buy a home from D&D you are getting it complete. They also include wood floors in living and dining rooms and ceramic tile in kitchen and bath. Also included is the front porch, basement (unfinished) and on some models a deck and screened porch. You have to look at the overall package before making a decision.

I also want to add the my purchase was stress free. Everything was done on time and we couldnt be more pleased.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:30 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,603,503 times
Roxy,

There are a few ways you can post pics on here. its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

one way is to host them on city-data. This is about the easiest, click the paper clip button in the reply window, that will open a new window. click "browse" in that window and find you photo on your hard drive. click on the photo, then click open, then the upload button. it sounds way harder than it is.

the other way is to have the image hosted elsewhere. I use tinypic.com. go there, click upload, find your pic on your hard drive and upload it. after the upload completes you will find a text string on the right to copy and paste, i believe its marked "post this photo on a message board". the one you want will look like this minus a few spaces [IMG] http://www.tinypic.com/your photo [/ IMG]

I look forward to seeing you photos, as i too hope to put a modular in the hideout a few years from now. If you can't get either of those to work i'll give you my e-mail address and i'll post them for you.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 PM

send me your email i will send you the pics. cant get this right.
roxy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania