Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Saw that Drive In Movie!!! Brings back memories to the old one in Westfall where Price Chopper is. Have you been there yet?
Yep, we went there about two weeks ago. It was cute. The last drive in we went to was in Maine about 6 years ago.

The only pain was that we brought a conversion van. Next time, we will bring my mini van and some chairs and a blanket.

Have fun

dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
A lot of the western part of Rt. 6 is designated a scenic by-way. Once you get out of Tunkhannock it meanders along a good portion of the Susquehanna for many miles. There are a lot of historic sites marked along the map. The road itself is quite historic and the sections along the river existed long before it was Rt.6. It was an Indian trail before the white man even arrived here.

Pennsylvania Geological Survey: Geologic Abstract - Sullivan's March

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wyalusing (where you can eat at the fabulous Wyalusing Hotel),
mmmmmmm... The prime rib is outstanding.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Coalman, that was an interesting website and had much information, thanks for passing it along.

The Hat

Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 AM

87 posts, read 254,083 times
The windmills generate power. Florida power and light installed them and is shipping the electricity to Philly I think.

If you snowmobile you can ride right to them in the winter.

I live just outside of South Canaan (close to Waymart). There are so many things to see other than scranton area. I have lived here my entire life.

We consider Dickson City, Scranton, RTE 6 area our place to shop and run to get things.. but we don't like to spend too much time there.. it has been crowded the last few years.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Coalman, that was an interesting website and had much information, thanks for passing it along.
You're welcome, do a search for Sullivan's March for more info. May not be evident by that article so I'll elaborate as to why it's relevant here. "Sullivan's March" followed Indian trails, much of them along the river which would be the present day Rt. 6 where it follows along the river.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
Smile Nobody ever annoys me, come on over :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Clarks Summit (where you can visit coartist88), Tunkhannock (where you can annoy memoriesbre), (
Paulie, I would love to have some company!!! Here you are going to meet Coartist88 this week!! I wanna come too LOL!!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_in_nepa View Post
The windmills generate power. Florida power and light installed them and is shipping the electricity to Philly I think.

If you snowmobile you can ride right to them in the winter.

I live just outside of South Canaan (close to Waymart). There are so many things to see other than scranton area. I have lived here my entire life.

We consider Dickson City, Scranton, RTE 6 area our place to shop and run to get things.. but we don't like to spend too much time there.. it has been crowded the last few years.
Thanks for enlightening us about the windmlls, they are so cool. We actually took another ride up there today.....and yes we got lost. Something about signs and we ended up in Clarks Summit again.....
Yes, we were very happy because we got our appliances from Sears, had a great salesperson. Thanks Pocono, Aurels was way too expensive. Anyway, I understand your theory about the shopping area, it has probably really built up in the last couple of years, especially on weekends and holidays.

I need a book on how to get to Scranton Shopping and points along for dummies. I find Route 81 so intimidating and this is from someone who drove in Manhattan and New York for years.

Hat

Old 07-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Paulie, I would love to have some company!!! Here you are going to meet Coartist88 this week!! I wanna come too LOL!!

LOL, where's the get-together, I hope you guys have another in the future after the 4th.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're welcome, do a search for Sullivan's March for more info. May not be evident by that article so I'll elaborate as to why it's relevant here. "Sullivan's March" followed Indian trails, much of them along the river which would be the present day Rt. 6 where it follows along the river.

Thanks Coalman, I am a bit of a history buff. Worked for the RR for 20 years and I even saw a sign today for a tour of the Lackawana Coal Mines, there is so much history here and so much to explore.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM

343 posts, read 604,111 times
The energy from the windmills definitely goes to Philly. Nobody up here wanted the energy from them and in fact, the windmills (Waymart Wind Farm) were quite a controversial story a few years back. Some people who lived nearby raised quite a stink over them and how FPL wasn't being taxed their fair share. One older man in particular would show up for every Wayne County Commissioners meeting and argue with the commissioners. The local radio station even had audio from one of the meetings in which the commissioners and the man had a screaming match, calling each other names. What a riot! The sheriff's deputies were even called for one meeting to take him out, although it never happened. Sorry, off topic, but the windmills have quite a story behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania