Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

73 posts, read 276,828 times

Advertisements

Are there neighborhood names in Dunmore? We have toured Scranton, Taylor, Old Forge and now moving on to Dunmore. Are there better sections then others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 PM

32 posts, read 34,245 times
I lived in Dunmore for 2 years. Probably overall not a bad town, but I did not like the neighborhood I lived in, which was near the intersection of Grove and Blakely Streets. Too much traffic, parking was a hassle, neighbors who would yell and scream if someone parked in "their spot." Plus it seems that people in Dunmore are very suspicious of anyone not born and raised in Dunmore. Maybe it was just that particular neighborhood, I don't know. But I like living in West Scranton better than Dunmore.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hu Flung Pu View Post
I lived in Dunmore for 2 years. Probably overall not a bad town, but I did not like the neighborhood I lived in, which was near the intersection of Grove and Blakely Streets. Too much traffic, parking was a hassle, neighbors who would yell and scream if someone parked in "their spot." Plus it seems that people in Dunmore are very suspicious of anyone not born and raised in Dunmore. Maybe it was just that particular neighborhood, I don't know. But I like living in West Scranton better than Dunmore.
Former Dunmore resident and current Scranton resident FightinPhils similarly stated that he lived in a neighborhood that never truly "embraced" him because he wasn't a native of the town. On the other hand a new transplant, new2pa, was thrilled with her decision to relocate to Dunmore that last I spoke to her several months ago via e-mail.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
It takes a while for older residents to warm up to you. By a while I mean like a couple years. But, after that, you'll be ok. As far as neighborhoods, there's the hill, the patch, the hollywood section, sport hill, bunker hill, laurel hill, maybe one or two others that I'm missing. Homes in Dunmore can sell in a matter of days, and will command a higher price than surrounding areas, even with the market the way it is.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:34 AM

32 posts, read 34,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
On the other hand a new transplant, new2pa, was thrilled with her decision to relocate to Dunmore that last I spoke to her several months ago via e-mail.
Oh, I'm sure that overall Dunmore is fine...it probably just depends on the neighborhood. Bad neighbors can make a neighborhood that looks good be lousy in reality.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 AM

73 posts, read 276,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hu Flung Pu View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking but where do you live in West Scranton? We toured through there and didn't like what we saw. It was teh downtown part, not the section near the park, it seems we can't find a house in our price range in that section. So we toured more of the town part and the streets were hit or miss, cars lined the streets, there were no driveways or garages, no where for the kids to ride bikes on the sidewalks... was I in the wrong section? DH drove through Dunmore and said it looked like more of what we were looking for.

I really don't care if the neighbors don't embrace me, where I live now I couldn't tell you who my neighbors are they are so unfriendly. I lived in this house for 22 years and up until 3 years ago everyone on the block was the same, then the houses next to me and across from me were sold and the people who moved in just don't want to bothered w/ making friends w/ the rest of us I guess.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLie View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking but where do you live in West Scranton? We toured through there and didn't like what we saw. It was teh downtown part, not the section near the park, it seems we can't find a house in our price range in that section. So we toured more of the town part and the streets were hit or miss, cars lined the streets, there were no driveways or garages, no where for the kids to ride bikes on the sidewalks... was I in the wrong section? DH drove through Dunmore and said it looked like more of what we were looking for.

I really don't care if the neighbors don't embrace me, where I live now I couldn't tell you who my neighbors are they are so unfriendly. I lived in this house for 22 years and up until 3 years ago everyone on the block was the same, then the houses next to me and across from me were sold and the people who moved in just don't want to bothered w/ making friends w/ the rest of us I guess.

I live in West Side, in Hyde Park, and most houses here have alleys behind them with off-street parking. I have a garage on the alley behind my back yard, as do most homes on my block. Also plenty of sidewalks for the kids to ride bikes, as well as more parks, playgrounds, and school yards in Scranton neighborhoods. In Dunmore, the traffic was so bad, I wouldn't let a kid ride the bike on the sidewalk. Luckily, we moved out of there before our oldest was a year old. Some blocks do have tight parking. But Dunmore is pretty much the same. I also lived in Dunmore at one point and hated it....parking was extremely tight, and both of our cars were hit and run multiple times...combined with neighbors who would ***** and moan if you parked in "their" parking spot. I absolutely hated living in Dunmore, and the people there have the attitude that if you're not a born and bred Dunmorean, you're a carpetbagger (even though I only grew up maybe 8 miles from there). Moving to West Side was like moving to the country after living in Dunmore....its much quieter here, the people are friendlier, and there's no parking wars, at least on my block. Dunmore has hellish traffic, especially around Dunmore corners....the poor design of the intersections contributes to a traffic backup that snakes for a mile though Dunmore in the daylight hours most days of the week. I don't miss Dunmore for a second, and am very happy in West Side.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
I think it is sad when people don't welcome newcomers to the neighborhood. What gives a lifer more rights than anyone else. It is a sad mentality. I would move there anyway and the more people that move in - maybe the old timers would be out numbered.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
I think it is sad when people don't welcome newcomers to the neighborhood. What gives a lifer more rights than anyone else. It is a sad mentality. I would move there anyway and the more people that move in - maybe the old timers would be out numbered.
We're now seeing this on a larger scale, actually, as I read somewhere recently that the majority of residents in the Poconos were born in another state or even country. Newcomers in large numbers will almost certainly force the "lifers" to adjust.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
We're now seeing this on a larger scale, actually, as I read somewhere recently that the majority of residents in the Poconos were born in another state or even country. Newcomers in large numbers will almost certainly force the "lifers" to adjust.

ScranBarre,

I sent you a DM - did you get it? I agree with you. I grew up in Rockland County and never treated new people with dissent. I wish I could have stayed there, but taxes forced me West. I experienced this unwelcome mentality when I moved to Oak Ridge Crossing. The strange part was the people with the attitudes and resentment were not lifers but transplants...........Treat people the way you want to be treated and you can't go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania