Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM

25 posts, read 70,365 times

Advertisements

get an exterminator, or a kid with a .22 rifle. all your songbirds, chipmunks, and other wildlife will be killed. also the constant stench of amonia will drive you nuts. havaheart traps will catch them with no harm but where do you bring them? best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Oh My........all wildlife will be killed. My Chip and Dale too! The Towhees, with all their beauty, Cardinals?........The kittens!........
I can't kill them..........and gosh, not with any gun.
I know what you mean by........Where do you bring them? That is the horror of the entire ordeal.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 14,946 times
If you have money (if money is not an option for you) and you can't stand to see anything suffer like me, the best thing to do is TNR, Trap, Neuter, Return. (Well Spay the female so they DO NOT reproduce!) I'm poor but I managed. I lived near a trailer park in Scott Twp (Lackawanna Co.) and I have rescued, all on my own w/o any assistance, about 12 cats and I have found some of them homes. I did end up keeping 3 of them. Some I did release back out into the wild before I moved to Simpson. You have to figure it this way, at least they're not multiplying in rapid numbers, starving, going in people's yards, spreading diseases, being shot, or hit by cars. So by doing the TNR, you're saving many present and future lives. The Animal Shelters are filled to the gills which means their only choice to keep their business afloat is euthanasia.

I do have a feral cat in my house that is spayed and UTD on her shots. And I have been blessed. I did not train her and prayed my cats would and they did. She isn't the friendliest cat, I can not pet her which most people think I am insane for having such a creature BUT she doesn't cause no damage, she uses the litter box, she gets along well w/my other cats. I tried to leave her behind, but she waited for me while I was moving and how can I leave her? I know I did the right thing.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,700 times
Send them to Nashville?

(Sorry......)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 AM

I know............LOL............
I can't I just can not do anything..........I am frozen.......I'm sorry, very sorry about the whole darn thing.............Who ever dropped the grey cat off, please, please come back and deal with this.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Ok so I am watchin the View today..........and they have this true story on a lion that just is so "tearful" and .........gosh, I had to go look the story up on line.
They showed a video on the View.......perhaps from Utube I don't know. But........
This is a story of Christian( the lion) bought from a Harrods store in 1969 .....living with these two men.........and having later to be brought to Africa and introduced to the wild.
They did go back to see him in 1974 .......and that reunion brings one to tears.
He jumped all over them, hugged them, cuddled all over them...........
And by then he was a father and had cubs and two lionesses........
He even went back to the compound that night............The next day would be the last he was ever seen in the next 14 years.......
Quite the cat story.........
found this info online......... Christian, the lion who lived in my London living room | Mail Online Yes, the video is on Utube and Gosh, so moving..........

Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Ok so I am watchin the View today..........and they have this true story on a lion that just is so "tearful" and .........gosh, I had to go look the story up on line.
They showed a video on the View.......perhaps from Utube I don't know. But........
This is a story of Christian( the lion) bought from a Harrods store in 1969 .....living with these two men.........and having later to be brought to Africa and introduced to the wild.
They did go back to see him in 1974 .......and that reunion brings one to tears.
He jumped all over them, hugged them, cuddled all over them...........
And by then he was a father and had cubs and two lionesses........
He even went back to the compound that night............The next day would be the last he was ever seen in the next 14 years.......
Quite the cat story.........
found this info online......... Christian, the lion who lived in my London living room | Mail Online Yes, the video is on Utube and Gosh, so moving..........
Ok, well I just watched the video on YouTube, and i'm in tears now!!! That is the sweetest thing ever

Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM

25 posts, read 86,748 times
Hi. I would get a humane trap (you can borrow one from a humane society, local rescue, or animal control). Trap the cats/kittens and get them spayed/neutered-the vet will probably give them their vaccinations as well. You can then release them-you can continue to feed them. If you are not at your home in the winter, you may be able to find a friend to feed them (or maybe even a local rescue) until you get back (you can also look into one of those feeders that let out food a little at a time-you can maybe have someone fill it once/week. Worse case senario, they hunt and can maybe find food on their home. Obviously a feral cat has a much shorter life span than an indoor/house cat, but at least you are doing the most humane thing for these cats. I have trapped and released about 4-5 cats-I was actually able to keep one and 2 kittens did go to a rescue.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 PM

142 posts, read 537,158 times
The Dessin shelter in PA does not take in enough donations to check for feline aids which is very contagious. Some shelters are fortunate enough to complete testing. If they test positive they must either be placed with cats with the same disease or be sent to kitty heaven which is usually the case.

My sister has 4 feral cats at the moment. Some will never become lap cats and you have to accept that fact. My sister found one that was shot up with a BB gun and took months before it came upstairs from the basement. It was a very timid cat at first but over time warmed up to the family. One thing to always keep in mind... adopting a cat or dog can be very expensive. Vets generally have no mercy when it comes to fees and you don't want it coming down to deciding whether to save a cat or heat your house this Winter.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
Some Info...
Pennsylvania Pets - Pet Shelters, Dogs, Cats, Horses, Birds
Feral Cat Resources
Feral Cat Project — How You Can Help the Cats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania