U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM

623 posts, read 1,728,260 times

Advertisements

The family and I are thinking of moving to the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area, we are traveling there next week for an look around. I do have a few questions for the residents. We would like to live outside the urban areas, and have about 200k for a house.

What areas are the most family friendly?

We are looking for a goof catholic school for our 6 year old-any recommendations?

What are the unsafe areas?

Whats better--scranton or wilkes barre?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM

36 posts, read 106,915 times
There are lots of nice areas. I'm more familair with Scranton, look at Dunmore, Jessup, Clark's Summit, Moscow. The Scranton DIocese has Catholic schools for all age levels.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 PM

703 posts, read 1,467,764 times
Whoops.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 PM

1,973 posts, read 4,949,109 times
In the Wilkes-Barre area check out Wilkes-Barre Twp., Kingston, Forty-Fort, Wyoming, Plains, Laurel Run, Bear Creek, Mountaintop, Shavertown, Dallas, Trucksville, Huntsville. Also, West Pittston is very nice (this would be my best pick in the price range you've mentioned). It's kind of a best kept secret, and it's located centrally between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. Good Luck! Check back if you have more questions.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
In the Wilkes-Barre area check out Wilkes-Barre Twp., Kingston, Forty-Fort, Wyoming, Plains, Laurel Run, Bear Creek, Mountaintop, Shavertown, Dallas, Trucksville, Huntsville. Also, West Pittston is very nice (this would be my best pick in the price range you've mentioned). It's kind of a best kept secret, and it's located centrally between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. Good Luck! Check back if you have more questions.
As far as which is better, that's really debateable. Both cities share many of the same characterisics, demograghics, stats, job market, price ranges ect. There may be subtle differences, but nothing to write home about. We're so close together that we even share sports teams, and an airport. The two cities are only 20 minutes apart. So, I mean, you'd have to check out both areas, and make a choice.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM

31,776 posts, read 72,941,442 times
Hello, and welcome in advance to our area.

First of all, I don't think anyone can give you a clear answer on "which city is better?" Aesthetically-speaking I can't help but give the blue ribbon to Scranton because it seems as if more people their take pride in their homes and neighborhoods than their counterparts in Wilkes-Barre, but Scranton also has some of the ugliest political turmoils this side of Baghdad! On the other hand Wilkes-Barre looks a bit shady in a number of areas but has a very popular mayor who is actually doing, in my personal opinion, an acceptable job at revitalizing the city. I'm not quite sure where you're from, but try not to judge the cities too harshly; there's much better things to see "off the beaten path" a bit. I think Scranton, overall, has more of a historic housing stock, but I've always been a bigger fan of Wilkes-Barre's downtown---it is just laid out better with a well-defined core (Public Square), two college campuses anchoring its northern and southern ends, a river forming its western border, and its eastern boundary being a wide boulevard whereas Scranton's downtown is much more haphazard-feeling. Wilkes-Barre feels like a much bigger city than it truly is (pop. 40,000) whereas Scranton feels like a much smaller city (pop. 70,000). Wilkes-Barre is slightly more diverse, and housing prices are more affordable. Crime is also higher, although Scranton is on the verge of a crime wave itself if its public safety-hating mayor decides to slash the police force to balance the budget.

The low-$200,000 range can net you a very nice home in West Pittston, which I did a photo tour of in 2007 (do a search for it). The community is midway between both cities, is near to the Wyoming Area Catholic School, and is about twenty minutes from Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic High School in Wilkes-Barre, and about fifteen minutes from Wyoming Seminary Private School in Kingston. Most streets are lined with shade trees and sidewalks. Many homes are historic, replete with character, and are well-kept. There are very few eyesores in the town, although as with any community they do exist.

There really aren't many "unsafe" areas around here. Edwardsville, a town on the west side of Wilkes-Barre, near to Kingston, looks rather run-down and has had a spate of homicides over the past year or two. Parts of South Wilkes-Barre and parts of The Heights have had a sketchier reputation in recent years. In Scranton parts of South Side, parts of the Hill Section, and Pinebrook are the seedier areas.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 PM

623 posts, read 1,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello, and welcome in advance to our area.

First of all, I don't think anyone can give you a clear answer on "which city is better?" Aesthetically-speaking I can't help but give the blue ribbon to Scranton because it seems as if more people their take pride in their homes and neighborhoods than their counterparts in Wilkes-Barre, but Scranton also has some of the ugliest political turmoils this side of Baghdad! On the other hand Wilkes-Barre looks a bit shady in a number of areas but has a very popular mayor who is actually doing, in my personal opinion, an acceptable job at revitalizing the city. I'm not quite sure where you're from, but try not to judge the cities too harshly; there's much better things to see "off the beaten path" a bit. I think Scranton, overall, has more of a historic housing stock, but I've always been a bigger fan of Wilkes-Barre's downtown---it is just laid out better with a well-defined core (Public Square), two college campuses anchoring its northern and southern ends, a river forming its western border, and its eastern boundary being a wide boulevard whereas Scranton's downtown is much more haphazard-feeling. Wilkes-Barre feels like a much bigger city than it truly is (pop. 40,000) whereas Scranton feels like a much smaller city (pop. 70,000). Wilkes-Barre is slightly more diverse, and housing prices are more affordable. Crime is also higher, although Scranton is on the verge of a crime wave itself if its public safety-hating mayor decides to slash the police force to balance the budget.

The low-$200,000 range can net you a very nice home in West Pittston, which I did a photo tour of in 2007 (do a search for it). The community is midway between both cities, is near to the Wyoming Area Catholic School, and is about twenty minutes from Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic High School in Wilkes-Barre, and about fifteen minutes from Wyoming Seminary Private School in Kingston. Most streets are lined with shade trees and sidewalks. Many homes are historic, replete with character, and are well-kept. There are very few eyesores in the town, although as with any community they do exist.

There really aren't many "unsafe" areas around here. Edwardsville, a town on the west side of Wilkes-Barre, near to Kingston, looks rather run-down and has had a spate of homicides over the past year or two. Parts of South Wilkes-Barre and parts of The Heights have had a sketchier reputation in recent years. In Scranton parts of South Side, parts of the Hill Section, and Pinebrook are the seedier areas.
Thank you. We are coming in from Las Vegas. Basically we are looking for a better place (more family orientated) and better climate to raise our 5 year old. Plus its closer to home (Syracuse) than Vegas. Will check out Pittston

Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
Thank you. We are coming in from Las Vegas. Basically we are looking for a better place (more family orientated) and better climate to raise our 5 year old. Plus its closer to home (Syracuse) than Vegas. Will check out Pittston
Check out West Pittston, not Pittston. There is a world of difference. Pittston is kind of run down as of late.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM

31,776 posts, read 72,941,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Check out West Pittston, not Pittston. There is a world of difference. Pittston is kind of run down as of late.
Agreed. West Pittston is like Mayberry. Pittston Township, where I live, is now becoming more and more like "Wisteria Lane" with all of the McMansions sprouting up with the accompanying increase in traffic. Pittston, sandwiched in between the two, has been trying to revitalize itself very unsuccessfully now for several decades. Too much damage has been done by prior administrations in the form of tearing down historic structures for parking lots, fast-food places, drive-thru banks, chain drugstores, etc. to ever herald a revival. It's a shame too because from what my parents and grandparents have told me, Pittston used to be a hip and happening city---21,000 people with a downtown theater, JCPenney, Woolworth's, etc. Now it's a slum.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Agreed. West Pittston is like Mayberry. Pittston Township, where I live, is now becoming more and more like "Wisteria Lane" with all of the McMansions sprouting up with the accompanying increase in traffic. Pittston, sandwiched in between the two, has been trying to revitalize itself very unsuccessfully now for several decades. Too much damage has been done by prior administrations in the form of tearing down historic structures for parking lots, fast-food places, drive-thru banks, chain drugstores, etc. to ever herald a revival. It's a shame too because from what my parents and grandparents have told me, Pittston used to be a hip and happening city---21,000 people with a downtown theater, JCPenney, Woolworth's, etc. Now it's a slum.
You should run for Mayor of Pittston, and clean it up. Seriously, you should give it some thought. You seem very passionate when it comes to revitalization, and seeing this area grow and be prosperous once again. You have more drive and pride in this area then any politician I've seen. And you are genuine about it, and it's from the heart, and not for votes. You should really consider it in the future! I'd vote for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>