U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM

24 posts, read 82,650 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a home in NE PA where my husband can commute back to NJ (an hour drive). We read all the news and see all the articles about the crime and schools. We have a 3 year old son and are very concerned about this. Can anyone tell me where is recommended and where to stay away from? Mt Bethel? East Stroudsburg? Bushkill? Milford?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:16 PM

910 posts, read 2,832,487 times
Milford is nice, a bit closer to NJ. That would be Deleware Valley SD, and you'll get mixed reviews on it. May as well go a little further west and stay above Route 84. Then you'll still be within your hour range and Wallenpaupack SD.
My husband commutes from Lake Wallenpaupack to Vernon NJ every day, about an hour each way. Mainly route 84 so it's pretty smooth.
Good luck and do plenty of research!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM

755 posts, read 2,223,582 times
I'm in Shohola..Just north of Milford but still Delaware Valley SD. It's nice here. Very rural. A few HOAs, lots of room and lots of homes available in this area. PM me if you need a good realtor.

From what I've heard DVSD and Wallenpaupack are two of the better school districts in the state.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 PM

13,321 posts, read 21,631,482 times
South of Stroudsburg........Would be a one hour drive to most locations in Jersey.
Sciota, Saylorsburg, Brodheadsville......
Great schools in the Pleasant Valley School district. Good housing prices.
Not a bad NJ commuter location at all.
Just off of route 33.......So its 33 to 80. Also this is the hub. You are close to places all around. Easton area, Allentown, Scranton, Wilkes Barre and the Crossings Outlets in Tannersville also the big box stores of that area.
The wonderful Palmerton Mall is nice to visit. With my favorite store Boscov's......
and second to that Bon Tons.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,013,460 times
First, welcome to the forum. Don't know where in New Jersey you need to commute. We moved from Dingmans/Milford for many reasons but the top 3 were getting my daughter into Lake Wallenpaupack SD. The Shohola schools (elementary) have good ratings, but we were looking down the road at WSD and closer to private schools. You may want to do your research on Bushkill and Stroudsberg, you will find the answers you are looking for from previous threads. We sent our 3 year old to KidsPlayToday which I highly, highly recommend. If you need a great realtor, email me, I was able to sell my house and land within a month of each other. Best of luck to you.

The Hat

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 93,190 times
While I do not live in Bushkill (I own a vacation property there), I do not see the area as a problem. There has been an influx of New Yorkers who have moved into the area but I do not necessarily see that as a problem. If anything, I see it as a good thing. Adding to the pocono demographic a class of educated professionals should be a good thing. I'm not sure about the schools (I haven't looked into it). I do know that there aren't any jobs in the area and if you are lucky enough to find one be prepared to take a pay cut. My profession (paralegal) which typically pays $25 per hour pays only $12 in NEPA. If hubby and I could have good jobs and live in our house in Bushkill full time, we'd do it!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM

173 posts, read 545,711 times
summering... you mean Palmer Park Mall, not palmerton mall, right?? I dont think there are any malls in palmerton

Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM

13,321 posts, read 21,631,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopc View Post
summering... you mean Palmer Park Mall, not palmerton mall, right?? I dont think there are any malls in palmerton
Oh yep, Did I say that? Sometimes I am half asleep Your right......
Palmer Park Mall. I love, love that Boscovs, and Bon Tons, also Childrens Place. Cute little Mall that I didn't discover right away myself.......and when I did I was overjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania