Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 AM

267 posts, read 765,218 times

Advertisements

Does Anyone have any info on the Steam Passenger train that's been traveling through the Valley this weekend?

Every time I hear the steam whistle I hurry to see it on the track and keep on missing it.

It seems to be going through twice a day, probably going one way and returning.

Its cool to hear a steam whistle through town, instead of the whistle from the diesels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_D_M View Post
Does Anyone have any info on the Steam Passenger train that's been traveling through the Valley this weekend?

Every time I hear the steam whistle I hurry to see it on the track and keep on missing it.

Its cool to hear a steam whistle through town, instead of the whistle from the diesels.
I live in the Butler Heights section of Pittston Township, and I've been hearing that steam whistle too. Perhaps Steamtown is now running excursions to Dupont? LOL!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:35 PM

I found out what it was

Reading & Northern Railroad Passenger Excursions (http://www.readingnorthern.com/passenger.shtml - broken link)

July 12 & July 13, 2008: "Steaming the Rails" - Tunkhannock to Jim Thorpe and return SOLD OUT
Motive Power: Steam Engine No. 425
Depart Tunkhannock at 9:00AM, Arrive in Jim Thorpe approximately 12:45PM
Depart Jim Thorpe at 4:00PM, Arrive in Tunkhannock approximately 7:45PM

I wish I knew about this, I would definitely been on this ride, maybe they will do it again next year.

PS I have never seen some many people line up along the tracks to view a train

Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,536 times
I am so glad that the Reading & Northern restored that locomotive. Personally I would have had the old Reading T1 restored back to servce first though.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:50 AM

Got my tickets for this years train ride from Duryea to Jim Thorpe on September 6th!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
Wink Steam Locomotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_D_M View Post

I also hear the whistle and try to get a photo. I found out that the train ride originated at Mr Z's in Duryea. It was a fund raiser for the Pittston Library - cost 75.00. Wish I knew I would have been on the train.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 AM

811 posts, read 1,386,203 times
I went on the trip and it was a WONDERFUL day!! It was interesting to see so many people in Duryea at once! It took about 2 1/2 hours to get to Jim Thorpe, and the scenery was beautiful. As we're so used to seeing our area from the roads, it's interesting to see it from a different perspective. Jim Thorpe is a gorgeous town and we had around 3 1/2 hours to spend there before returning. The weather was perfect. I sure hope they run this trip again next year. It amazed me, too, to see all the people along the tracks with their cameras, all the way to Jim Thorpe!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Railfest out of Steamtown this past weekend has a Steam Train ride from Scranton to Moscow......
21.00pp..........We took the shorter ride and the little guys loved it tremendously.
Look for Railfest next year at this time..........It was tons of fun.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
For you train/rail fanatic's: Steamtown trains to visit scenic sites this fall - The Times-Tribune (http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/steamtown_trains_to_visit_scenic_sites_this_fall - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania