Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,039,278 times

Advertisements

I just finished a 2 night 3 day kayak fishing trip of the Susquehanna river from Laceyville to Tunkhannock. We started in Laceyville on Saturday night about 7pm and camped about 6 miles down river that night. Sunday we fished and paddled our way down to Mehoopany for our second night on the river. Monday was an easy 9 mile day down river to Tunkhannock with stops for fishing and swimming along the way and we finished up about 5:30pm on Monday night. There was only one bridge over the river after we started and the river in that area is awesome with some areas seeing little traffic if any. There were coyotes, minks, bald eagles, turkeys, red tailed hawks, deer along the way and it made for a great trip. The fishing was solid and again there was not really anyone on the river and very little pressure on the fish.

If you have the ways and means to do a trip like this I recommend it, if not you break it up into day long paddles and have a great time. Its right in our back yards and when the smaller rivers don't have enough water to paddle the susquehanna will and its worth the time to see it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,490,168 times
Hello there Weluvpa, It sounds like a fantastic outdoor trip with much exciting adventures. Did you tail all the camping stuff on the kyack? BTW, breathtaking pictures, very nice scenery. Was wondering if you ever tried ocean kyacking? Thanks for sharing with us.

Hat

Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 AM

411 posts, read 1,283,553 times
Hey Dan, awesome trip for sure. That is a great section to float. I paddled the section from Towanda to Meshoppen way back in the day (1975) with radio station WARM. Two guys were doing a sojourn from Towanda to WB. They asked people to join. I was a senior in high school then and thought it would be an easy trip, it rained just about every minute for the trip. We slept in soggy tents riverside while the radio guys slept in a RV or a hotel for the night. Needless to say we cut out before reaching WB!

It is a treasure to be sure, beautiful country side. Fishing looked to be great too. We didn't fish, but one of the paddlers who went along, husband and wife team in their 60's, caught a huge carp by placing a ball of salami sandwich on a knot of the painter (rope) trailing behind the canoe. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

I envy your trip Dan

Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 AM

620 posts, read 2,044,254 times
That is a cool trip...where do you camp for the night? Are there public spots along the river?

Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM

No there were no public camping areas that I know of. We camped on the islands in the river that were in the most secluded areas within the time we could paddle in a day. We stopped and fished and had lunch so we did not over do the miles per day. The first night was on an island that was deep in the bend of the river with cliffs on the shore line, we stayed on the shore behind the island and below the cliffs, basically in the middle of nowhere.

The second night was a spot that we pulled into during a lightning storm and was only a 1/2 mile from our proposed camping spot. We ran under some trees to get out of the rain and it happened to be an old camping site with fire ring and places for tents so we stayed there.

Highhat, yes we traveled the gear in our yaks. My *** has a working capacity for gear of just over a 100 pounds and my buddies could each carry 75 to 80 in theirs so we had plenty of space and really not that much gear to begin with. Water was our largest weight, 8 gallons weighs alot.

Yes, I have been ocean kayaking before in the Bahamas and The Outer Banks in NC. Short day trips in NJ as well.

We are currently planning a 5 night trip starting further up river in Towanda or even further and finishing in Falls.

Last edited by weluvpa; 07-22-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 03:53 PM

32,597 posts, read 77,115,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The second night was a spot that we pulled into during a lightning storm...(edited for brevity)...we ran under some trees to get out of the rain
It sounds like you all had an awesome time, but for future reference please do not seek shelter beneath trees when there's lightning in the area. I hear too many tragic stories, especially involving children, where people trying to dodge raindrops under the green leafy canopies are struck by lightning.

Do I sound enough like your mom yet, Dan?!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Under the trees was much safer then out in the middle of the river with an aluminum kayak paddle in your hands. The lesser of two evils I guess.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:31 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,418,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Under the trees was much safer then out in the middle of the river with an aluminum kayak paddle in your hands. The lesser of two evils I guess.
GREAT pix Dan!!! That mountain scenery is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Any mahi-mahi in the Susquehanna??

Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,056,237 times
Boy, that takes me back to 1991, before I got married. Mr. Poconoproud and I went on a similar trip on the Delaware with a group of friends. You really brought back a fun memory for me, weluvpa, thank you!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:05 PM

923 posts, read 3,077,360 times
I kayak from Tunkhannock or White Ferrys to Falls with a friend quite frequently !!
Took one trip with - 'something outfitters ??? anyway, hated it - the guy is a dope !!
I bought my kayak from him !!! Susquehanna Kayak and Canoe Rentals in Falls does
a much better job. Gotta love the great outdoors !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania