Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I just returned from a trip to Tunkhannock. (Coartist, we were going to go to that wine fest, but decided to forego due to the $18 a head ticket..ouch). Neither of us has ever been to Tunkhannock, and since it's only a 25 min. straight shot down 309 from where we are in Dallas and it's such a nice day for a drive, we figured what the heck. We loved it! What a cute, quaint little town. We had lunch at Twigs Cafe (excellent salads and french onion soup to die for), shopped in a few antique stores (we love reading old postcards, and this one store "The Old Store" right in the center of town had binders filled with them). We were disappointed that many of the stores were closed (Sunday..duh ), but we definitely plan on heading back for the first weekend of December when supposedly the town is all decked out for Christmas, with horse carriage rides, carolers, etc. We ended our trip with some ice cream from Mannings (I just HAD to try it based on everyone's reccommendations in the ice cream thread), and it was soooo good! Memoriesbre, now I know why you love living there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 02:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I saw that downtown on TV recently. It looked really cute.
I think I'd like to see it at Christmas time too.
Come December I might just make a long day of it and visit there too!
Did Scranbarre ever put pictures on of the town? I don't know he's done so many.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times
Oh! I am glad you made it up this way At Christmas time the town is like a winter wonderland. The Dietrich Theater is decorated so beautifully too. We haven't made it to the Christmas extravaganza yet... this will be our second Christmas in Tunkhannock. Maybe we can all meet on that weekend for a hometown holiday right here in T-town

Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Did Scranbarre ever put pictures on of the town? I don't know he's done so many.
Yes. Actually, I believe Tunkhannock was my second photo tour ever taken, just after my first tour of Downtown Scranton (which I need to do an updated one of).

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-part-two.html

Tunkhannock truly is one of the best kept secrets in NEPA. It's a shame nobody ever really visits. The entire U.S. Route 6 corridor throughout Northern Pennsylvania is a real treat with a lot of scenic vistas and a lot of quaint small towns just like Tunkhannock (Milford, Hawley, Honesdale, Wyalusing, Towanda, Troy, Mansfield, Wellsboro, Coudersport, etc.)

Old 07-28-2008, 02:08 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Hubby and I just returned from a trip to Tunkhannock. (Coartist, we were going to go to that wine fest, but decided to forego due to the $18 a head ticket..ouch). Neither of us has ever been to Tunkhannock, and since it's only a 25 min. straight shot down 309 from where we are in Dallas and it's such a nice day for a drive, we figured what the heck. We loved it! What a cute, quaint little town. We had lunch at Twigs Cafe (excellent salads and french onion soup to die for), shopped in a few antique stores (we love reading old postcards, and this one store "The Old Store" right in the center of town had binders filled with them). We were disappointed that many of the stores were closed (Sunday..duh ), but we definitely plan on heading back for the first weekend of December when supposedly the town is all decked out for Christmas, with horse carriage rides, carolers, etc. We ended our trip with some ice cream from Mannings (I just HAD to try it based on everyone's reccommendations in the ice cream thread), and it was soooo good! Memoriesbre, now I know why you love living there
too bad,it was nice...

Old 09-24-2008, 06:59 AM

4 posts, read 12,130 times
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure if dragging up old threads is frowned upon, but here goes.

First, a little about myself.

I'm originally from the Mid-Hudson Valley, a beautiful area of upstate NY. I had a 20 year career at IBM there, but my job was a casualty of the post 9/11 slump in the Tech economy, and I was out of work by spring 2003. The skyrocketing cost of living in that area from all the folks in NYC moving north meant it was almost impossible especially for someone who was in the middle of their career, to find a job anywhere close to filling the need. In April 2004, I headed west to a town in west-central Kansas as a way to stop giving away my life's savings trying to stay home in NY. I didn't move blindly. I had a couple of friends, more accurately.. friends who were a couple, he from Idaho, she from California, one of those web romances you no doubt heard about as the web grew. They were located here in KS and helped me find a place I could afford to buy outright. The plan was to try to make a go of starting a web hosting business along with other online friends. I have a small retirement I took early from IBM along with the web business it was successful for a few years. The business suffered after one of our partners passed away shortly after losing everything in Hurricane Katrina. I've kept the business going for our small group of loyal customers, but I've given up on it as a source of income.

Now that I'm working a regular job, and my friends have split and relocated, I have decided that Kansas is no longer where I wish to be. It's not the type of beauty I was surrounded by my first 45 years, although it's a fairly mild winter by comparison. Here's some of my photos from back home:

rPhotosOnline.com :: New York

I'm considering relocating to Tunkhannock, and would like to get information on the area.. the cost of utilities, how property taxes are handled in mobile home communities, car registration etc. Another consideration is high speed internet access, availabilty and cost. I probably won't be making the move for about a year, so there's lots of time to scout locations and make decisions. The area looks great, like a slice of home. I'm not sure if I will move my mobile home, but it's a possibility as the same community I live in here has a community in Tunkhannock. They will help pay (up to 5k) the relocation cost if I move it between communities they own.

From reading here and there on the forum, I know Wal-Mart is not looked upon in a very good light. I'm currently employed at Wal-Mart out here in Kansas, and can transfer to almost any location. I work just enough hours to qualify as a full time employee, so I qualify for benefits. One of the things that makes working at Wal-Mart tolerable is the management team. I'd be interested in finding out about the store located in Tunkhannock. I'd probably be transferring as an overnight stocker, and there's probably a slight increase in pay associated with a slightly higher cost of living. There are other Wal-Mart stores in the area I might consider, but Tunkhannock looks like more of the type of community I'd be more comfortable with.

Thanks for the photo tour posted above, it was nice to see the local character. I'm an amateur photographer, and as someone who likes to take landscapes, my camera is seldom used out here anymore.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,

Mark

Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Mark, an interesting post. NEPA for one thing has a bunch of Walmarts. I think if there is not a job in Tunkhannock, then there are ones within where you hope to live.
I will let the Tunkhannock people come by and say more regarding your questions.........
But, Mt. Pocono has a Walmart, also the towns of Easton ( on 248), East Stroudsburg,
Lehighton, Dickson City............I think Dallas,PA. is planning one, if that remains as such.
I'm sure there are many I have not listed..........
Its a great store for the staples in life, with those great prices in things like bikes, toys,
paper products, foods etc. Good Luck

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM

Hi Summering,

Thanks for your reply. I zeroed in on Tunkhannock because of the few mobile home communities close to I-84 owned by the company in which I currently live, it's the one closest to a Wal-Mart, and seems a nice small community with the beautiful scenery I grew up with. The fact that they will help with the cost of the move is the main reason I'd go for one of their communities, but they also have a good record of running clean quiet and safe communities. The community I'm in now is very nice, and I've been assured they are all held to the same standard. The community in Tunkhannock is located on Cruver Pond, and is named Oakwood Lake Villiage.

Here's a link to the community page, with a couple small images.

ARC - American Residential Communities (http://www.aboutarc.com/arcCommunities/community_template.cfm?code=5259 - broken link)

I'd be interested in impressions of the community by people who have driven by, or through it.

I'd also increase the value of my home just by moving it, as the price of homes here is depressed and not looking to improve anytime soon.

I'm sure I can get a job at any Wal-Mart store, especially since it's not a concern as to when I make the move. Wal-Mart stores always seem to have a need for night-owls like me. I have a great work record, so I don't see a problem there. As I said, it makes a big difference working for people who are personable, so I'd hope to find someone who has information in that regard from people who have worked there, or friends and relatives who have.

I'd like to be within a 2.5 hour drive of my old hometown, and there's a few ARC parks (Taylor, PA is one) fit that window. It's a straight shot to the Mid-Hudson Valley once on I-84.

That said, if it doesn't work out with moving my home, I'll look at alternatives. The thought of staying out here more than another two years is something that I dread. If it comes down to selling everything I own out here (and not getting much for it) then starting over, that's what I'll have to do. I'd love to have what I have here back close to home.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM

I keep forgetting to ask about possible flooding in the area of that park, but I'd be interested to know about that as well.

Thnx

Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
There is also a Wal-Mart distribution center in Tobyhanna, and from what I've heard, the distribution centers pay well.

Now, I do know that the Tunkhannock Wal-Mart is not a Supercenter, so its not open 24 hours, I don't know if that affects your position as an overnight stocker. But there are nearby supercenters in Dickson City and Wilkes-Barre, with 2 more planned for Pittston and Taylor (just over the Scranton city line).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania