Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 PM

183 posts, read 610,958 times

Advertisements

I have heard that Bennigans,Ruby Tuesdays, and starbucks are starting to close up shop, what is the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 PM

41 posts, read 239,508 times
Uno and Tuesdays closed but I didn't hear that Bennigans closed? Starbucks is closing their new shop in Dallas not in W-B. They have closed 600 stores nationwide recently. I think because of the recession many people are not eating out and eating at home to save money. I just hope the gains downtown made (Thai Thai, Toscana, etc.) doesnt take a hit too. Plus I think chains hurt worse during economic downturns because people like to spend money in hometown eateries instead.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwb View Post
I have heard that Bennigans,Ruby Tuesdays, and starbucks are starting to close up shop, what is the deal.
The economy stinks and people can't eat out as much as they used to.

The oil companies are getting richer while everyone else is getting poorer.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnurseguy View Post
Uno and Tuesdays closed but I didn't hear that Bennigans closed? Starbucks is closing their new shop in Dallas not in W-B. They have closed 600 stores nationwide recently. I think because of the recession many people are not eating out and eating at home to save money. I just hope the gains downtown made (Thai Thai, Toscana, etc.) doesnt take a hit too. Plus I think chains hurt worse during economic downturns because people like to spend money in hometown eateries instead.

According to the news, Bennigan's closed it's doors as of yesterday!!

I also read this morning where the CEO of JetBlue is taking a 50% pay cut for the remainder of the year to try & boost his company's sagging sales...I think the bloated salaries & perks of some of these CEO's is ridiculous & I think they SHOULD give up some of their millions or billions to keep their companies afloat instead of taking it out on everyday employees & quality of service!!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwb View Post
As far as Ruby Tuesdays goes. I think the area where they are located just isn't prime real estate anymore. With the explosion of growth around the Arena and Walmart, I think that strip of Kidder st just doesn't draw the amount of traffic it used to (it's kind of old news now). People use Mundy st and Schetcher dr, and completely by-pass Kidder st. It's just no longer in the "hot spot".

Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
As far as Ruby Tuesdays goes. I think the area where they are located just isn't prime real estate anymore. With the explosion of growth around the Arena and Walmart, I think that strip of Kidder st just doesn't draw the amount of traffic it used to (it's kind of old news now). People use Mundy st and Schetcher dr, and completely by-pass Kidder st. It's just no longer in the "hot spot".

Thats pretty much the same with Scranton/Dickson City. Bus. Rt. 6 is sort of the dying old stretch of road....now everything is on Commerce Blvd/Viewmont Dr.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
From the Times:

Quote:
Bennigan’s restaurants on Highland Park Boulevard in Wilkes-Barre Township, Northern Boulevard in Clarks Summitt and Columbia Boulevard in Bloomsburg will remain open, and the owners plan to keep the Bennigan’s name, Mr. Smith said

Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM

183 posts, read 610,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Thats pretty much the same with Scranton/Dickson City. Bus. Rt. 6 is sort of the dying old stretch of road....now everything is on Commerce Blvd/Viewmont Dr.
That used to be a hot spot for people.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
They are closing down out here too. Its definitely the slow economy, but recent news is giving me a little hope. oil dropped over $20 a barrel in the last few weeks, consumer confidence is up slightly and a few other small spots of hope.

This too shall pass. When the economy is high you never seem to enjoy it, but when its low it can really play hard on you....

Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider1978 View Post
they are not stopping at smoking its the fat people next>>>>>>>>>>>>>it keeps going til they get to you. You can bank on it.
They just banned the construction of new fast food places in low income sections someplace in CA.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania