Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM

34 posts, read 80,692 times

Advertisements

Is NE Pa accepting of people from other places? I am native to Long Island, moved to Syracuse and beleieve it or not the Upstaters hate the downstaters! Thinking of relocating to PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
If you come here and are nice to your neighbors and don't start complaining about how everything is so much better [from where you came] then you will be fine.

More and more people here are from NY & NJ; natives are becoming an endangered species. I like all of the nice folks who are happy to be here and grow annoyed with the ones who put this area down because it's not a suburb of NYC, because the food tasted different, or because you have to drive 30 mins to the mall.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,284 times
We are thinking of buying a home in the Hideout, not permanent but summers and many weekends. Are gangs and crime a problem? I am hearing conflicting stories. Some say it's a problem others say its nonexistant. Is your house safe when you are away for weeks at a time.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 AM

809 posts, read 1,331,065 times
Very safe- no gangs- crime is extremely low- every once in a while there is a break in or some other crime- but it is usually not a random act. (Yes, people will say this or that has happened, but stuff happens everywhere). It is very safe. Many people on here have stated this or that, but don't actually live here.
In a few weeks Memorial Day will be here- the biggest problem/complaint we will have is that people were speeding. They got a ticket for doing 40 in a 25mph zone or rolling through the stopsign.
There are 2 restaurants right outside the gates on Rt 590- go into either of them and talk to any of the patrons that live in the HO - I guarantee you crime and gangs will not be a problem. Better yet - rent a house for the weekend and you will see for yourself.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
I live in the Hideout and it is safe. If you want you can rent for a week, weekend or even a month. You can see for yourself and get to meet members of this community. If you want to know how to go about renting PM me and I will be happy to let you know a couple of realtors to help you.

This is a safe and beautiful community!

Oh, I didnt read all of Pupmom's post, so Ditto to pupmom!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,650 times
I know this is an old thread, but my husband and I are looking in the Hideout. Have things changed? Schools? Crime? Employment isn't an issue, I am a stay at home mom of 2 little ones (son 2 + daughter 3), who also sells Jamberry Nails on the side, and my husband works for the local cable company.

I LOVE PA, you still out there?
Thanks!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 16,509 times
Buying a house here has been the best think I have ever done. Very family oriented with plenty of activities. The POA is run extremely well. There is little to no major crime with a responsive public safety. Rent for a week and check it out. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,650 times
Thanks! Anything in regards to the schools??

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraNJacobsen View Post
I know this is an old thread, but my husband and I are looking in the Hideout. Have things changed? Schools? Crime? Employment isn't an issue, I am a stay at home mom of 2 little ones (son 2 + daughter 3), who also sells Jamberry Nails on the side, and my husband works for the local cable company.

I LOVE PA, you still out there?
Thanks!
I LOVE PA last posted on City-Data in March of 2011. You can check out stats on the schools as well as compare them on this site: Pennsylvania Schools - Find a Public or Private Pennsylvania School - SchoolDigger.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
I bought a house in The Hideout in September...we love it out here! No issues with crime...the folks are very nice, and I know what and what not to expect here so I'm not discouraged if something isn't readily available or is different from the larger cities that I've lived in before. The roads are always cleared here in the community after large snowfalls also, which is a nice plus...security is constantly driving the streets and checking on homes...and we're only a couple miles from one of our new favorite Italian restaurants in Lake Ariel...Kay's! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania