Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:09 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,682 times

Advertisements

Nice video, but it was almost like ScranBarre wrote the script. I would have liked a more objective overview of the project. The truth is that it's going to take a *lot* more effort than this to truly revitalize the city. But it's a very good step. We'll need many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
For anyone who missed that schematic rendering, there's a glimpse of it here:

http://www.wbdcp.com/images/dcpmap.jpg

... the above was at one time an interactive map. You could adjust/enlarge the various elements etc. to see the renders and/ or notations more clearly. Dunno why they (Diamond City Partnership) discontinued that interactivity....unless someone else can locte that map.....

They are looking for a developer.....for the Sterling. At this time the project is ready to go, all the various legal/ tax/ acquistion difficulties having been resoved
Thanks for the link, it looks awesome. I saved the jpg and think if you use a good software you can probably enlarge it to see better.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Nice video, but it was almost like ScranBarre wrote the script. I would have liked a more objective overview of the project. The truth is that it's going to take a *lot* more effort than this to truly revitalize the city. But it's a very good step. We'll need many more.
How do you know I didn't write it?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM

32 posts, read 116,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
The Times Leader also had an article last week about The Hotel Sterling Project stating it is moving forward and that they are in the process of chosing a developer for the next phase of construction. I don't know if anyone else saw the artist renderings and blue prints of the new tower that will be located next door to the revitalized Hotel Sterling, but it is very impressive, a modern, 14-story high rise overlooking the river, it'll be one of the tallest buildings in the valley, and help modernize W-B's skyline. I really hope all goes as planned with this project, because I'd like to live there some day (if the prices aren't astronomical). Anyway, I'm completely impressed by what is going on downtown, and I hope it continues.
Supposebly, As Legend goes, After the flood, the downtown was rebuilt and The rents for the Bussinesses were Astronomical (maybe to cover the construction costs). This could be one of the reasons why the downtown never fully recovered. Plus the fact that there was a Brand new Wyoming Valley mall where one could shop in climate controlled comfort. (Oh, I miss those days, Taking the #23 Bus from South Wilkes-Barre with My Grams, doing some shopping downtown, the transferring to the #10 bus in front of the Kirby(The old paramount then) to go to the mall.) This of course was Early to mid Eighties when there was life downtown on a Saturday.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
How do you know I didn't write it?
I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Interesting article on Wilkes-Barre:
WILK-FM - Raise Some Hell In Wilkes-Barre

Last edited by FightinPhils; 08-05-2008 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
This is off the subject a bit. I was researching my family tree when I came across some interesting history on Wilkes Barre. The name comes from two people John Wilkes and Isaac Barre.

"The Wilkes name was well-known among the Colonials in the decade before the Stamp Act crisis. He, like Barre, also had a grievance with Pitt after Wilkes was denied the governorship of Quebec in 1762. Wilkes was a vocal opponent of the King's ministers. Whether he was a dedicated reformer, or an opportunist with unusual wit, can be debated. Nevertheless, Wilkes became a symbol of British and Colonial national rights and liberties which an oppressive government sought to suppress. His confrontations (or antics) were closely followed in Massachusetts and Connecticut newspapers, and Colonial assemblies would periodically meet in local taverns to cheer Wilkes' legal victories over Parliament.

During the North Briton controversy in England in 1762-1763, Barre supported the rights of Wilkes in the House of Commons. This led the government to temporarily dismiss Barre from the Army and his rank. Barre was more fond of the constitutional rights Wilkes represented than of Wilkes himself, and he once spoke of Wilkes as "a wicked, daring infamous incendiary" and as an "infernal parracide."

What is interesting is John Wilkes is a very close ancestor to Junius Brutus Booth the father of John Wilkes Booth. "Booth was born in St. Pancras, London, England, the son of Richard Booth, a lawyer, and Jane Elizabeth Game, and grandson of John Booth, a silversmith, and Elizabeth Wilkes, a relative of the English radical and politician John Wilkes. He displayed remarkable talent from an early age, deciding on a career in the theatre by the age of seventeen. He performed roles in several small theatres throughout England, and joined a tour of the Low Countries in 1814, returning the following year to make his London debut."

Another tid bit is the wife of former Prime Minister of England Tony Blair, Cherie Booth Blair's father is Tony Booth, the British actor who is a descendant of Junius Brutus Booth's brother.
Cherie Blair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Cherie Blair (born 23 September 1954), known professionally as Cherie Booth QC, is an English barrister. She is married to former British Prime Minister Tony Blair. She is also 1st cousin four times removed to John Wilkes Booth."

Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Interesting article on Wilkes-Barre:
WILK-FM - Raise Some Hell In Wilkes-Barre
Interesting and all true points as I have seen them with my own eyes. I still am always the optimist and try to look at the things that are really happening that will help the rest follow. Steve Corbett is taking a very pessimistic approach to Wilkes Barre's Blight. While he does say in the article that he cares for the city and wants to "raise hell" to wake them up, constantly talking up the downs only slows down the proccess of revitilization by bringing morale down. I think as someone influental like him it is irresponsible to sow seeds of sorrow into the collective public's minds.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
While he does say in the article that he cares for the city and wants to "raise hell" to wake them up, constantly talking up the downs only slows down the proccess of revitilization by bringing morale down.
It's important to be both hopeful for a brighter future *and* realistic about the challenges that face us and the work left to be done. (Basically, Barack Obama in a nutshell. ) The riverfront project is just one step in the process. It's a good step, but there's *many* more to go. What it's going to take is proactive leadership by the commissioners, mayor, and whoever else in charge to keep taking as many steps as they can.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Interesting and all true points as I have seen them with my own eyes. I still am always the optimist and try to look at the things that are really happening that will help the rest follow. Steve Corbett is taking a very pessimistic approach to Wilkes Barre's Blight. While he does say in the article that he cares for the city and wants to "raise hell" to wake them up, constantly talking up the downs only slows down the proccess of revitilization by bringing morale down. I think as someone influental like him it is irresponsible to sow seeds of sorrow into the collective public's minds.
Corbett is an idiot! He constantly berates W-B, ever since the Times Leader "let him go", and he also doesn't like Mayor Leighton because he won't appear on his show (do you blame him!) So he has a personal grudge against W-B, and he uses his platform to bad mouth W-B. He also has claimed that W-B is one of the most racist cities in the entire country( which is ludacris) W-B was a stop on the underground railroad, and today is one of the most diverse cities in our region. The "dire" neighborhood he paints such a grim picture of is the 400 block of S. Franklin st. This has been a troubled neighborhood for thirty years. That is equivalent of saying the whole city of Scranton is miserable and dumpy from what he experienced in Valley View Apts. You can pick apart everything he says. I called his show after the "W-B is the most racist city in America" claim, and asked him to share the data and proof of this with his listeners, and he didn't know what to say, so he hung up on me (big wussy that he is). If you ask any W-B resident if the city has improved in the last 5 years or so, you'll get a resounding yes. If you don't believe it, I personally invite any naysayers to the city to see for yourselves. There is construction going on all over the downtown. Crime is at the lowest it has been in years and on and on... In the thirty two years in W-B, I've never seen the city look as good as it does right now and the improvements have just gotten started maybe two years ago, and there is alot more to come. Don't take Corbett's word as gospel. Just because his ego is so big that he thinks he is The Messiah, doesn't mean he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania