Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:32 PM

267 posts, read 765,482 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to Portafino in Wilkes-Barre yet? It's open.
Their menus are posted on their website(without prices)
Portafino Ristorante ... An Italian Experienceâ„¢

Uno is closed? But they have Big 'help wanted' signs on the building.
I wonder who is moving in there?

Bennigans is still open, maybe it is not a 'company store' and will remain open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 PM

267 posts, read 765,482 times
Funny thing, As I was writing this, there was a knock on the door from nicely dressed young men and women with this card from Portafino
Attached Thumbnails
Portafino,Uno, and Bennigan's-port1.jpg   Portafino,Uno, and Bennigan's-port2.jpg  

Old 08-03-2008, 07:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,000 times
Is Portafino another chain, like a maccaroni grill or Olive Garden?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Yeah, what is going in at Uno? I thought the same today while waiting at the light to go to Walmart. I hope it is something good.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
There was an article in the CV about the Bennigans bankruptcy, the local one and I'd imagine all the other ones are independently owned so the bankruptcy won't directly effect those particular restaurant owners. If the corporate entity goes belly up I'm sure there will be some issues they will have to deal with such as some of the services provided.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Uno is closed? All of them, or just some locations?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM

32 posts, read 116,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Uno is closed? All of them, or just some locations?
Just the Wilkes-Barre Location. I always thought the Retail Development there was overkill. Not that I didn't want to see it the Development. But it seems that in 1998, There was nothing but Coalfields and a partially finished Arena, Then all of a sudden there was an explosion of everything at once. perhaps with the lousy economy, We'll see who prospers and who closes. Uno's may just be the beginning. Or who know's, maybe they'll be the only business closing. Personally, I wish for the Latter, But who knows with the economy the way it is.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbolv View Post
Just the Wilkes-Barre Location. I always thought the Retail Development there was overkill. Not that I didn't want to see it the Development. But it seems that in 1998, There was nothing but Coalfields and a partially finished Arena, Then all of a sudden there was an explosion of everything at once. perhaps with the lousy economy, We'll see who prospers and who closes. Uno's may just be the beginning. Or who know's, maybe they'll be the only business closing. Personally, I wish for the Latter, But who knows with the economy the way it is.
I'm secretly hoping for the former. Now that the impending recession has everyone's panties in a bunch, I'm hoping that people will begin shunning overpriced suburban chains en masse and start patronizing the little mom-and-pop places that dot our valley yet are also struggling to keep their heads above water. I myself have been eating out more at places near my home in Dupont like Lincoln Inn, Bobby-O's, Dupont Diner, etc. as opposed to TGI Friday's, Johnny Rocket's, Cracker Barrel, etc. I wonder what Downtown Wilkes-Barre would look like today if that arena-area retail explosion had never occurred and everyone who lived in the city actually patronized CITY businesses instead of township ones?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:46 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbolv View Post
I think Uno is a hard sell in this area. I've been there and payed $16.00 for a large pizza, and you know what? It can't shine the shoes of some of the local pizzeria's we have. Why pay $16.00 for a pretty good pizza, when you can get a really good pizza from a local pizzeria for $8.00-$9.00? That's my two cents.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm secretly hoping for the former. Now that the impending recession has everyone's panties in a bunch, I'm hoping that people will begin shunning overpriced suburban chains en masse and start patronizing the little mom-and-pop places that dot our valley yet are also struggling to keep their heads above water. I myself have been eating out more at places near my home in Dupont like Lincoln Inn, Bobby-O's, Dupont Diner, etc. as opposed to TGI Friday's, Johnny Rocket's, Cracker Barrel, etc. I wonder what Downtown Wilkes-Barre would look like today if that arena-area retail explosion had never occurred and everyone who lived in the city actually patronized CITY businesses instead of township ones?
I don't think that people are just avoiding chains because of the economy...they're avoiding eating out altogether. Eating out is a luxury, and when money is tight, its a total waste of money. You can go to the store and buy food and make a good meal at home for a lot less money. I like to eat out once in a while, but to me, its a waste of money.....I know some people who eat out more than they eat at home, and people at work who order out for lunch every day...that adds up to a lot of money.

I'd rather the mom-and-pop restaurants make it over the chains, but this economy will hurt the restaurant industry as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania