Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times

Advertisements

New census data shows that Luzerne County's hispanic population has tripled!! since 2000. And Luzerne County now host the fastest growing hispanic population in the state of Pa. The hispanic population in all of NEPA exploded in 2007 spurred by a 20.5% increase in Luzerne County, and followed by other counties surrounding Luzerne, including: Lackawanna County (12.5%), Schuylkill County (10.5%), Carbon County (10.5%), and Pike County (10.4%)... as reported by Wilkes-Barre's, Times Leader... So, NEPA, what are your feelings on this issue? Is this good growth for our region or bad growth? I personally think it's great! (so far). My city, Wilkes-Barre, is starting to reverse the trend of many decades of "mass exodus" out of the city, due to the newly arriving Latino population. They are moving in, and reviving neighborhood's that have been in decline for a very long time. I think starting this year the population of our cities will begin to grow once again, because of this trend, and I welcome it!! As long as there isn't a crime wave that follows them here, I say welcome all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
It sounds like a lot when they say "tripled," but the reality is that the Hispanic population was almost non-existent to begin with, so tripling it still does not mean we are being "overrun" with Hispanics. Even now, every single town in this area is more than 90% white (this includes Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Hazleton)....this area is still very lily-white compared to most places.

I agree...if they're hard working good people, then welcome. But there are way too many ignorant people in this area who do not like the Hispanics and always spout off their hysteria about "illegals." The reality is that an overwhelming majority of Hispanics in this area are legal...in fact, most are Puerto Ricans, who are born American citizens. They're human beings just like you and me.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
It can be a good thing if it's handled in the right way. The feds needs to step in and make sure they are all naturalized, code enforcement needs to be ramped up, and there has to be both community outreach and local govt. spending in areas of dense population. If you bring them into the loop and they get a sense of community and pride, they will become part of the local fabric; alienate them and all you will see is crime (both hate and property) and poverty. Even under the best conditions, this is a time of massive change, and we have to expect a few ripples in the water. Once things settle out, I hope to see increased tax revenues, growing neighborhoods, and a younger population to bolster the local economy.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I work in Edwardsville, and not a day goes by where I'm not assisting a customer who speaks a different language. The growing diversity in this area never ceases to amaze me, and I must say that it's quite refreshing. I helped two Hispanic women who spoke broken English yesterday and sold them an air conditioner. Earlier that evening I overheard two separate customers speaking Russian and German. Then there's also the "Heynabonics" language I hear from my fellow co-workers and blue-collar customers on a constant basis. "I went troo da door!"

Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Oh god, can you imagine these people learning broken english from people who have already broken it? Heyna-spanics?

Old 08-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Yous can use your axsess card at'a the ac-a-me

Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Oh god, can you imagine these people learning broken english from people who have already broken it? Heyna-spanics?
Awesome! "Heynaspanics?" Rep points for you!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 PM

32 posts, read 116,708 times
Be careful and tread lightly here. this could be a sticky subject. A moderator closed a thread on another board because apperently they were talking about crimes and racial statistics and some statements were taken out of context that could be misconstrued as racial. Of course if one read the whole thread and pieced it all together instead of reading one post you can clearly see it was nothing racial.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Wasn't there a recent incident that involved a "Hispanic" guy being beat up by a few high school kids in Shenandoah? I wonder how that might have changed things with the people in that community?

Also, for some strange reason, it always seemed like it would not be a good idea for me to stop in any town between Harrisburg and Scranton/Wilkes Barre at night on I-81. Am I just paranoid or should I have some concern?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 PM

193 posts, read 542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
oh god, can you imagine these people learning broken english from people who have already broken it? Heyna-spanics?

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania