Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,509,951 times

Advertisements

We bought a pellet stove a couple of years ago for a high price at the Fire Place Shop in Hawley.

Many of you had suggested Woodys which we checked out today. I know they have been in business for over 18 years. Has anyone had any dealings with John's Fireplace in Honesdale.

The best is advice is from recommendations.............

Thanks in advance.

The Hat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:54 AM

Ok, nobody has fireplaces from either store........

Old 06-28-2008, 06:41 AM

620 posts, read 2,047,681 times
I vote Woody's...I had a great experience there...I have never been to John's though, may also be a nice place. I got a small Jotul stove that I am very happy with. They seemed to have a lot of options ranging from rustic to very modern and at different prices.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks Merman, I actually stopped in both places today and I was impressed with the knowledge at Woody's and everything they sold they had in stock and really knew the product. Personal experiemce, would not go back to the Fireplace Shop because it was highly expensive and everything was a la carte. Found out Woody's been in business 18 years and their flagship store is in Larksville.

Here is what is going first: wood, coal and then pellet.

The Hat

Old 10-11-2008, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,377 times
I bought a Vermont Castings stove from Woodys several years ago and still remember how rude and unprofessional they were and how inexperienced the installers were. I had to get another company to come in after and re-install the stove correctly. I personally would never deal with Woodys again!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:01 PM

They were extremely rude and unprofessional at their store in Honesdale. I called the store in Larkspur to complain and dealt with Woody himself. He was very nice and helped us out. I have dealt with the fireplace shop before in Hawley - first they are very pricey, never any cars in the parking lot and I did not like the way they handled business the first time around. I have heard from other posters that they deal with the flagship store in Larkspur/Larksville? and they seem to be happy. I hope you are happy with whomever you are dealing with now. I kind of wonder how these people can be so nasty and expect to do a good business. Everything up here is by word of mouth. Good news travels fast and bad news travels faster.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 22,083 times
Default johns

I just got a vermont castings wood stove from John's fireplace. He is a very nice man recommended a great stone guy - a real craftsman- and did a great job putting it in at a very reasonable price. Then as soon as he was paid the trouble started. I never received an ember screen that was backordered, he was supposed to remove the trash and the stone facade that was around the old fireplace,that after many months of phone calls the trash is gone but the facade is still leaning against the wood pile so that I cannot tarp it properly and I cannot budge it to move it. I will be very upset if I have to pay someone to haul it away. The other night the hood for the catalytic fell off and he never responed to my call. (I didn't know that was what it was at the time.) I think I got it put back in - at least I hope so that the catalytic isn't ruined .
Bottom line - He is a great guy, does a good installation, but very weak in customer service and follow through. Definately not detail oriented. He needs to hire a good sales/ project coordinator.

Last edited by hawleyian; 11-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-22-2008, 12:29 AM

858 posts, read 3,036,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
We bought a pellet stove a couple of years ago for a high price at the Fire Place Shop in Hawley.

Many of you had suggested Woodys which we checked out today. I know they have been in business for over 18 years. Has anyone had any dealings with John's Fireplace in Honesdale.

The best is advice is from recommendations.............

Thanks in advance.

The Hat
Well I dont know alot about pellet stoves, but can tell you this much.. When I was a service tect, in propane. People were buying alot of propane fireplaces and such from Woody's. And I can say they were not to happy with them! And I wasnt myslef. Seeing as they will not do the propane hook up. I would have to come out and do it for them. 99% of the time I would get to the job around the time it should of been done by woodys and they were just geting started it.

Also they charge for everything! Vent kits, that come with the stove but are in another box. That people dont know about. Aswell as alot of money to install where ever you happen to buy.

It's sad to say.. But any fireplace shops such as Woodys get most of their customers from NY, and we all know what the prices are like out there. So they charge these people for anything and everything!! Best advise... Say you live in PA, before getting down to the prices! Its sad I know but its just how things work...

One last thing.. If you do buy something from them. Bring a pickup pay for it and leave. There are alot of people who can install what ever you buy. For more then half the price and do a better job!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 22,083 times
Default John's Fireplace

I am following up to my previous posting about john's fireplace. The day after my posting he did pick up the stone facade and asked about the catalitic hood. I will say I went with John's because he is a great guy, seems honest enough and sat down and actually thoroughly discussed what I wanted. He made very creative suggestions to minimize the amount of room the stove would take up in the livingroom. The end result is beautiful. I also thought the price was reasonable - although I didn't really compare it. Woody's wouldn't expend any energy on talking to me to any great extent, and I was warned away from the fireplace shop from the get go . I would now definately recommend John's fireplace shop to anyone and I will definately go back to him for any future needs.
We have been toasty warm so far this year - so thumbs up to John's Fireplace Shop.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 11,013 times
does anyone own their own propane tank. we just bought a house in pa ( hawley area) and since our fireplace and outdoor grill are the only things we use the propane for we are thinking about purchasing a tank and taking it to fill ourselves. we are only at the house on weekends, holidays , vacations... also looking for reasonable propane prices. also someone just highly recommended Johns fireplace in honesdale to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania