U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM

129 posts, read 404,368 times

Advertisements

We moved to the area not too long ago, and are planning on buying a house in the near future. We have heard great things about Abington Heights. Also North Pocono has been mentioned. However there has been some mixed reviews. Can anyone tell me if the reason for this? Is there significant crime in North Pocono? Some even suggested gang activity, really? Not sure how likely any of this is, but would greatly appreciate input

Also, why is Big Bass Lake property avoided like the plague? Some of the houses look nice there, but they are cheaper than other areas and yet still won't sell. There must be some reason for this.

Thank you for your insight
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:53 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,517,145 times
There is no significant crime in any NE PA school......except maybe Pocono Mountain. Other than that, your kids will be perfectly safe and get a good education in pretty much any school in the area.

Gang activity in North Pocono? I seriously doubt it....I think any of the so-called "gangs" in area schools are just wanna-be skinny white kids who have listened to too much rap. People see "crips" or "bloods" spray painted on a bridge somewhere and think that gangs have infested the area, when the reality is some 14 year old who's listened to too much gangsta rap and wears his flat-brim hat cockeyed stole some spray paint out of his dad's shed.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM

31,776 posts, read 72,956,630 times
I think you have your schools confused. Pocono Mountain (more specifically Pocono Mountain-West, which serves the nefarious A Pocono County Place gated community), has a reputation for gang activity. North Pocono is a very well-regarded school district, but I have heard that there is a definite "class divide" there between the more affluent newcomers from NY/NJ in the sprawling subdivisions and the lower-middle-class natives in the not-so-affluent areas. A lot of the opposition to the new high school (which was pointless since an area growing as rapidly as North Pocono NEEDS a new high school very soon) was based off of resentment for natives not wanting to pay increased taxes to fund the erection of a new school to house the new transplants. It was more so a commentary on the rising tensions between the natives and newcomers in that area as opposed to the quality of the school district.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,670,899 times
If I am luck I will be buying in Elmhurst! I had a place picked out, and was told it was in contract but I think it feel through. If I have any chance I am going to snatch it up. I will keep our current apt. till we redo the house and our lease is up.

I think the Elmhurst, Moscow area is the best of both worlds and closer to Tobyhanna for hubby.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 AM

372 posts, read 1,166,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
If I am luck I will be buying in Elmhurst! I had a place picked out, and was told it was in contract but I think it feel through. If I have any chance I am going to snatch it up. I will keep our current apt. till we redo the house and our lease is up.

I think the Elmhurst, Moscow area is the best of both worlds and closer to Tobyhanna for hubby.
Hope everything turns out for you and the house! Elmhurst and Moscow are very nice places to live. We looked there for homes when we moved, but they were too far out of our price range.

North Pocono is a good district too; my daughters like it and are challenged with their classes. We looked at several school districts, and NP just seemed to have it together academically. My kids can't wait for the new high school to be completed though! My son is at Moscow Elementary, a solid school with good people working there (he is in the Autism Support Class, now in its third year there).

Keep us posted please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>