Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 02:42 PM

19 posts, read 64,319 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about relocating to scranton (live in philadelphia tired of the hustle bustle,out of control crime,cost of homes) any info ---best & worst neighboorhoods--- things to do ---transportation --- hotels,we are into the center city enviorment,where is the center city area we will be in scranton late febuary thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 06:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Thumbs up Part One of Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by momndad1958 View Post
We are thinking about relocating to scranton (live in philadelphia tired of the hustle bustle,out of control crime,cost of homes) any info ---best & worst neighboorhoods--- things to do ---transportation --- hotels,we are into the center city enviorment,where is the center city area we will be in scranton late febuary thanks
Hello there! I live around ten miles to the south of Center City, in the suburb of Pittston Township, and I frequently-visit Scranton, so I'll try to help you out the best I can! To get to the downtown area from Philadelphia, I'd take I-476 North from Philly to the Wyoming Valley Interchange in Pittston Township, and then follow the signs towards Scranton. Once you're off the offramp, you'll want to stay in the same lane and bear onto the onramp for I-81 North (Scranton) for about ten miles to the Central Scranton Expressway exit (On the left-hand side). You then have about a half-mile drive between I-81 and downtown, where you'll be greeted by a "Welcome to the Electric City" mural painted on the walls of the expressway's retaining wall. The entire drive should be just slightly over two hours. (It's about the same distance to NYC as well from here).

If I were you, I think the best way to get a feel for the city would be to stay right in the heart of downtown at either the Scranton Radisson Hotel on Lackawanna Avenue, the Scranton Hilton on Adams Avenue, or the Howard Johnson Inn on Mifflin Avenue. The Hilton and Radisson may both be a bit pricey, but I'd especially recommend the Radisson to you both, as you'll be blown away by the beautiful architecture of this former ornate rail station turned hotel. There is ample surface parking for the Radisson. The Hilton was just completed a few years ago and is in a brand new building with its own parking garage. The Howard Johnson is slated to be razed at some point this year or next to make way for the new Scranton Medical School, so I don't know how much longer it will be open (or if it will already be closing by February). The Howard Johnson isn't located in a well-developed part of the downtown, is relatively-unattractive, and is in a high-traffic area, so I'd only recommend it to you both if you wanted to skimp out on price. Then again, a one-night stay would be more than adequate for you to have a good experience in the city, so I just say go on ahead and splurge on a room for that one night!

Crime in Scranton is almost laughable when compared to Philadelphia. Here, we've not had a single homicide since mid-2005, and, as a result, the "Chicken Little" residents complain en masse about the smaller things, such as littering, illegal parking, the new smoking ban, and graffiti. There are occasional mini-mart robberies, burglaries, vandalism, and car break-ins throughout the city, but, even then, the city is still much more secure than probably some of the better neighborhoods of Philly, including Roxborough and Manayunk.

As far as the downtown is concerned, don't expect it to be some sort of "big" New Hope, as I may have made it sound in the past, as it's still in the process of revitalizing itself. Just since 2000, the city has made HUGE strides in revamping its downtown cultural scene, including attracting art galleries, loft housing options, Starbucks, a gourmet dog bakery, ethnic restaurants, nightlife, and successful efforts to preserve much of the city's historic architecture. You're not going to drive into Scranton and be like "Ooohhh La-La", but you're going to walk down certain blocks in the city and think to yourself "this feels cozy and like home," as I've done, which is why I've also decided to move into the Hill Section in the upcoming years after I'm through with graduate school to raise my family.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Thumbs up Part Two of Two

There truly aren't any "bad" neighborhoods in Scranton. The one where crime has been most highly-concentrated lately has been the "Upper South Side", between the stable, working-class Minooka neighborhood on the city's southern border and Center City. Parts of West Side have also had a sketchier reputation with drug activity, and I'll let you ask forum member "ConorsDad", who lives in West Side, about which parts of that area to avoid. Over 75% of the Hill Section has been gentrified, in my opinion, as in just ten years or so, this area has shifted from being one of the city's crime "hot spots" to being a "hot spot" for real estate, (which has unfortunately lead to higher prices, but a few bargains in this neighborhood do remain). You may very well fit in quite nicely in the Hill Section, as it's within walking distance to Center City (the walking distance increases as you progress further and further uphill towards Nay Aug Park and Community Medical Center). The University of Scranton is located roughly wedged between the Central Scranton Expressway (you'll see it on the right as you enter the city), Center City, and the Hill Section, and the campus is very attractive, highly-ranked, and home to many notable speakers and performances annually. I personally can't wait to live a few blocks from both campus and downtown and be able to walk to work in a downtown office, walk my children to school or Nay Aug Park, and walk with my significant other in the evenings to check out seminars at the University, chill out at the Northern Lights Espresso Bar or Starbucks, do some shopping at the Mall at Steamtown, or do some dancing at Flashbacks or Tink's.

Here are some photos I have taken of my beloved hometown, and I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them:

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...-part-one.html
Center City and a few shots of the "Upper Hill" near Nay Aug Park

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...l-section.html
More of the "Hill Section", home to U.S. Senator Bob Casey

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...enjoyment.html
Historic "Green Ridge" neighborhood, home to Mayor Christopher Doherty

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...-aug-park.html
Nay Aug Park, "Upper Hill" neighborhood

Hope this helps you out a bit, and please feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania