Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I had a thread like this already, but I can't seem to find it!!! Anyway, I'm looking for information on Milford, PA, as my husband is very interested in relocating us there. I personally never thought about moving to PA (we're in NJ) and actually prefer the New England states; however, moving to PA might be a more reasonable choice as leaving family and friends so far behind would be hard. Milford is right next door!! Anyway, I'd like to know facts, statistics, opinions on the area and basically the overall outlook for the future. Jobs, job growth, education (very important, we have children), cost of living, price of homes, safety, community, family/child activities, etc. I'm also very interested in hearing from anyone who has relocated to PA, especially from Jersey, considering, you would know firsthand the pro's and con's we'd be facing. Thank you in advance everyone!!!

Ps. Lastly, if there are any other areas close to the border of NJ that rate as high as Milford supposedly does, what are those areas? I probably wouldn't want to travel any further into PA than Mountain Top area (if that far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
The only other areas I can think of off of the top of my head that have highly-regarded school districts and are still a reasonable drive back to NJ would be the Wallenpaupack Area School District (Greentown/Hawley areas) and the North Pocono School District (Moscow Area, just off I-380). Milford is home to the Delaware Valley School District, which also receives rave reviews.

Jobs are relatively scarce throughout NEPA, as the biggest complaint locally from college graduates is often "I can't find a job." Those who do decided to interview with and accept positions with firms in Northern New Jersey, New York City, Philadelphia, etc.---all regions that those like me with strong ties to NEPA don't wish to relocate to. There are some quality employers in the Pocono region, including Tobyhanna Army Depot and Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals, and there are more financial services and health care options available in the more immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, which is more heavily-populated.

If you decide to check into the North Pocono area, then you'll have the added benefits of being 45 minutes to the Delaware Water Gap into North Jersey, as well as about 15 minutes to Scranton, where you may be able to find jobs. Most people who live further east in the Poconos (Stroudsburg/Bushkill/Milford) commute daily into NJ and NYC for work. There has been discussion for many years now about connecting Scranton to Hoboken with a commuter rail that would have several stops in the Poconos and North Jersey, but that has shown very little progress.

Pike County is the fastest-growing county out of the 67 counties in Pennsylvania, so even though it still has a very rural character, within 20 years it will likely become nearly as suburbanized as its neighbor to the south, Monroe County. I can definitely envision a new shopping mall, perhaps the "Delaware Valley Mall", opening along Route 209 between Matamoras and Milford in the coming years with anchor stores so that the residents will no longer have to drive to Middletown, NY or Scranton, PA for their shopping needs. I can also see a two-year or four-year college taking root near Milford in the coming years, as, to my knowledge, there is no institution of higher learning in Pike County.

One final area to consider would be White Haven in Luzerne County. It is part of the highly-regarded Crestwood School District (Mountain Top Area), but it is right on the border of Carbon County and I-80 and is not a terribly far drive from NJ. White Haven is pretty rural, but it's also right near I-476 to make commutes to work in either Wilkes-Barre or Allentown feasible. One could also commute about 20 minutes west along I-80 to work in Hazleton, although most of the job growth there recently has been in call centers and distribution centers (if that's your thing).

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times
pixieshmoo....
I also was born & raised in NJ and lived there up until last year. I have to warn you...out here is a whole new world. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it DOES take some getting used to. Milford is nice...close to NY & NJ...has lots of shopping...not far from Walmart and some other major stores.
If you have any other questions, need any other info..whatever, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!!

PS-If you need a good realtor in Milford, I can recommend one.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 AM

14 posts, read 85,860 times
I feel the same way. I have my own impending move up there soon. Being married to a marine, I have gotten used to change, but I'm still wondering how difficult this move will be. i visited the area a few weeks ago and it seemed very remote....I'm trying to be open minded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania