Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbillw View Post
looking forward to moving to Dallas PA in 2009
Woo hoo! Another new transplant to the region! Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,933,766 times
sigh......Dallas........

http://www.johnsjustlikenew.com/images/Decals/Soccer%20Mom%20Decal%20copy.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Well to be fair EnyaGirl and JLStorm live in Dallas Township (I know almost where exactly because I'm nosy), and they live in a very pastoral, quiet setting. Your photographs more adequately reflect Shavertown, or even more specifically South Abington Township.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,579,086 times
I love Dallas ,if that is where you are headed. I think it is a nice area, and has such good access to all the Malls and stores around.
It has a good feel, and the lake being so close is just wonderful.
New Jersey to Dallas Pa sounds good to me!
Yes, well my taxes are 5G here, but in NJ for the same home and property, I'd be over 10G for sure.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM

253 posts, read 993,519 times
Pixieshmoo - Where are you in Essex County? We're currently in Bloomfield in the Oakview section and planning on moving to Wayne or Pike County in 2010 - or sooner.

NEPA is my second home as I have generations of family there. It IS different from Essex county, which is why we're moving, just have to take care of some loose ends first. Taxes here are almost $10K here, and as you know, we don't get a lot for that money. I expect to save on taxes, car insurance, and they won't tax my husband's police pension in PA. I don't think the cost of groceries is lower, gas is higher, and you'll need more energy to heat your house in NEPA. However, the trade in quality of life is what we're after. Keep us posted if you do move, would love to hear your take on things afterwards.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:47 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,314,731 times
Oh, I'm like your next door neighbor lol!!! I come originally from Belleville (god help me)! You hate to knock it but......

Yeah, I can imagine the trade up is exactly that...UP. We're like sardines in Essex County and it gets worse regularly!! For what we pay to live here, we should have property measured in acres, not lot size and our schools should be top-rated. Or so you would think.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 PM

193 posts, read 540,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Well, I transplanted in 1995. From my entire life of living in New Jersey.
My parents and brother were already living here, so we came to visit often, and alway visited the Flea Market on 209 during fall weekends.

I first transplanted to Penn Estates and it was a nice peaceful place, with lakes and a quiet pool, beach.........but that was soon to change as the years went on. We would choose, along with our neighbors, to revert back to living as we did in NJ with our own lot, in a nice area.......Just a tad of decent rules on the deed. This we like!

My taxes are actually more then I ever paid in Sussex County, NJ......or for that matter my Morris Cty. taxes ( but that goes back)
I always found the PA people to be so friendly, down to earth, enjoyable.
Someone would wave to you out of no where, and the waitresses would stop to chat for a spell also. More relaxed, more comforting, then in NJ.

I have seen, and met ,some wonderful kids in the Pleasant Valley School district. I have just never heard a complaint at all. Such smiling, happy kids abodes well for this area of the West End.

Yes, our dream did come true.........We love PA. These mountains and lakes will call you home when you stray far away. The spaciousness of everything. The many events, festivals and happenings........so many things to keep you busy. You can ski, kayak, motor boat, hike, picnic, swim, head to a Water Park, golf, go see the many falls, flea markets, antique shops.......We just have it all..

Horror story...........hummm...........Well the huge bear that was at our back door in Penn Estates. Now, I mean huge. There was one other huge one roaming around, and one small one by the daughters car, just before she was headed there to go to work...

Right now, all I have is bunnies........so I think we're quite safe and sound.

You know my mother in law had a house in Penn Estates! It burned down in 2000, was very well known for her overwelming sense of decorating! wonder if you knew her.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:41 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,568,268 times
Jersey "transplant" here. Hubby and I moved to Dallas (Back Mountain area) in March from North Jersey. We love the change of pace, the quietness, etc. We are childfree so can't offer any advice on schools, but I know that we pay some of the highest school taxes in the area, and supposedly Dallas is one of the better schools in the area. We're very happy with our decision. (but I will always be a Jersey girl at heart)

Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Thanks for the laugh, Summering! While I'm sure I would've wet my pants, I'd much rather have that for a horror story than....hmmm, let's see, watching the kids hide behind the building right next door to me pass around a joint and a 40oz. while graffiting on the wall and peeing in the bushes. Or overhearing a kid at the park (which is practically my backyard) talking about how his gang initiation was "getting beaten into the gang". Not that those things can't happen anywhere, but that's what I see sitting outside during this lovely summertime. Bears on the otherhand, while scary, intimidating and potentially very dangerous, will 9 out of 10 times ignore you if you ignore them. Or so they say, I'm not in a rush to find out lol, but I would imagine I'd rather film that than the idiots outside my door.

As for your taxes, I'm quite sure they must be higher than Sussex County, as Sussex seems to be very low, generally speaking. However, I'm in Essex County, you don't get much higher taxes than that, except for maybe Bergen County. And trust me, you're not getting any special piece of property with those high taxes, you can still see your neighbor cooking in her kitchen if you're looking out yours. You want large property, than basically you're looking at $10,000-$15,000 a year in taxes. And you still don't even get fresh air with that price, just your usual smog!! No thanks!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated
LOL, I came from Essex County too...grew up in Cedar Grove, then moved to Little Falls, Fairfield, Parsippany (not Essex), then finally made the switch to PA. See I was moving in this direction, just very slowly My Dad owns a business in Newark and I grew up going to work with him on the weekends and so have seen all of what north Jersey has to ::ahem:: "offer". LOL.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
sigh......Dallas........

http://www.johnsjustlikenew.com/images/Decals/Soccer%20Mom%20Decal%20copy.jpg (broken link)
Ya know, I keep hearing this, but I have yet to experience this here in Dallas. Maybe it's because I don't have kids and so am not involved in all the soccer mom BS, but the people I've met here have been so friendly and not stuck-up at all! Also, while I have seen a few developments that resemble the image you posted, they are few and far between, and most of Dallas is a beautiful country, open setting. (my house is on 7.6 acres with a pond across the street).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania