Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 36,687 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to relocate to the Poconos. I am still working on my research, but my main concerns are find the right school disctrict(s) and the nicest area. It is ok if the area is not very rural, as we are city people (well, almost) and quite used to that. What we are looking for is a nice place to live where my children will be safe and happy and get a good education. Is there something wrong with Monroe County? We were considering Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg, partly because of its proximity to NYC (a concern) and because it seems like a lovely area with good schools. However, now I read on the forum that Pike's County is the place to go. Is this so? Please - all information is helpful! I will be so appreciative. We are planning to make a trip up there next weekend, and any information we have in advance will be very helpful.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,908 times
librarianmom
The issue with the Pocono area off route 80 is that most people from the city move there and it becomes just like what they moved away from.

We are in northern Pike cty. It's fairly rural out here but the school systems are great, the kids are safe and happy.

You might want to check out the Delware Valley School system or Wallenpaupack although I think the latter may be a bit further than you want.

You can also keep in mind that there is train service from Port Jervis, NY which is just over the Delaware River from Pike Cty PA.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to private message me.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:56 PM

11 posts, read 36,687 times
I have been looking in Strodsburg and East Stroudsburg nearly exclusively. Am I heading the wrong direction? We are not looking for ruaral, exactly. We are perfectly fine with a busy area. Honestly, we are moving simply for a more affporadable way of life (and a chance to own a home that si large enough for our family), not a change of life (although we obviously are open to one). Therefore, areas becoming too populated does not really scare us. Perhaps Pike County would be too rural for us?? Also, the info. on the train is important! Which town is that is in? And what towns are the best for raising children in Pike's County? I have four kids - one with special needs - so this is very important.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:20 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
librarianmom
The issue with the Pocono area off route 80 is that most people from the city move there and it becomes just like what they moved away from.

We are in northern Pike cty. It's fairly rural out here but the school systems are great, the kids are safe and happy.

You might want to check out the Delware Valley School system or Wallenpaupack although I think the latter may be a bit further than you want.

You can also keep in mind that there is train service from Port Jervis, NY which is just over the Delaware River from Pike Cty PA.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to private message me.
FF, said it very well, I would definitely follow her lead.

The Hat

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 12,067 times
Stroudsburg has gone from being a lovely town to...well, a PIT, as far as I'm concerned. Lots of crime, and beyond overdeveloped. I'd choose NYC or the outlying areas over it in a second, frankly.

That being said, as I indicated in my reply to another of your posts, Milford/Shohola/Greeley/Lackawaxen would be perfect for you. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM

38 posts, read 136,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepagalsince1974 View Post
Stroudsburg has gone from being a lovely town to...well, a PIT, as far as I'm concerned. Lots of crime, and beyond overdeveloped. I'd choose NYC or the outlying areas over it in a second, frankly.

That being said, as I indicated in my reply to another of your posts, Milford/Shohola/Greeley/Lackawaxen would be perfect for you. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.
That's a bit of an over statement if you ask me. I don't live in stroudsburg but I definitely wouldn't choose NYC over Stroudsburg. I honestly think some of the people that make comments like this really do not know what it is to live in a "PIT" or in a crime infested town. Some of you make stroudsburg sound like it's Camden,NJ.

It definitely has more people than in years of past but that's expected.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Stroudsburg has undoubtedly gone downhill over the past several years in particular. You know something is a tad "off" when I feel perfectly safe walking around "dangerous" neighborhoods in both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre during relatively deserted hours for photo tours, yet when I was doing a similar photo tour back in 2007 in the supposedly "tourist-friendly" town of Stroudsburg, I encountered aggressive panhandlers nagging me for "bus fare to the city," gang-related graffiti, broken windows, arson sites, etc. It wasn't the type of environment that I felt was conducive to a productive photo tour, which is why to this day it is one of the few county seats in our region that remains unfinished in my photo collection. There's a reason why I always recommend that people check into Pleasant Valley (or even at least Stroud Township for that matter) over the town proper of Stroudsburg. I was at the Stroudsburg Wal-Mart last year and felt like I was literally in a third-world country!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 AM

38 posts, read 136,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Stroudsburg has undoubtedly gone downhill over the past several years in particular. You know something is a tad "off" when I feel perfectly safe walking around "dangerous" neighborhoods in both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre during relatively deserted hours for photo tours, yet when I was doing a similar photo tour back in 2007 in the supposedly "tourist-friendly" town of Stroudsburg, I encountered aggressive panhandlers nagging me for "bus fare to the city," gang-related graffiti, broken windows, arson sites, etc. It wasn't the type of environment that I felt was conducive to a productive photo tour, which is why to this day it is one of the few county seats in our region that remains unfinished in my photo collection. There's a reason why I always recommend that people check into Pleasant Valley (or even at least Stroud Township for that matter) over the town proper of Stroudsburg. I was at the Stroudsburg Wal-Mart last year and felt like I was literally in a third-world country!
I respect your opininon but third-world country ?? Come on.
I've been coming to NEPA for about 15 years now before I decided to buy a home here not too long ago and yes you have some shady characters walking around like you would in any town where the population increases. You can't expect everyone that moves in to be of sound mind.

I guess when it comes to folks like myself who have seen worse going to Walmart in Stroudsburg is a walk in the park. The only difference now in Stroudsburg is that you see more shades of color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania